Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Builder

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 05:15 am
@hightor,
So what you're saying, is that you're doughey at breakfast too?
Thanks for the clarifying that.
hightor

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 05:27 am
@Builder,
No, I had breakfast hours ago.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 07:59 am

good on her... she is on a mission!

Liz Cheney will not remain Republican if Trump is GOP nominee in 2024
(cnn)
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 08:34 am
@Region Philbis,
In that interview, she also said she’s going to support the democrats who are running against Republicans who are pushing The Big Lie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 08:46 am
@Region Philbis,
She is so far to the right I find it puzzling any Democrats want her.
revelette1

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 08:51 am
Zelenskyy says Putin's nuclear threats "could be a reality"

FACE THE NATION
Full transcript: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on "Face the Nation," Sept. 25, 2022

Putin is getting desperate to save face, and he is willing to use the Nuke threat and perhaps even nukes to do it. This is scary stuff.

0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 08:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree completely. There are still good old school conservative republicans, but I wouldn't vote for any of them simply because their agenda is completely opposite of what I want in government. We have to remember she is completely her father's daughter from everything I have read and seen about her, and he was behind the whole torture enhancement and lying us into a completely unnecessary war.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,

i was never a fan before, but i do admire her for standing up for what's right... and for drawing a line in the sand -- no MAGA bullshit ever,
and damn the repercussions...
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 09:01 am
@Region Philbis,
I get that. What I don't get is welcoming subsequent far right voting when it comes to a Democratic agenda.
hightor

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 10:24 am
Quote:
We have to remember she is completely her father's daughter from everything I have read and seen about her, and he was behind the whole torture enhancement and lying us into a completely unnecessary war.

I'm not sure I want to condemn her for what her father did. I think her prior legislative record alone shows us what she was and her subsequent behavior on the Jan 6 committee demonstrates a rather surprising willingness to defend some core principles – a side of her we'd never have seen were Trump not such an aberration.

Quote:
What I don't get is welcoming subsequent far right voting when it comes to a Democratic agenda.

I doubt that her presence will turn the Democratic Party any further to the right.
blatham

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 10:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Your apparent position here bears a notable similarity to Grover Norquist's stance: That "bipartisanship is another name for date rape". Both of you are, I'd suggest, purists.

Of course there are many individuals who have long been associated with the GOP and it's key political notions/values who have now abandoned the party (for reasons all of us would deem reasonable and welcome). Many of them had been influential over decades in forwarding GOP interests in the past, people such as Michael Gerson, David Frum, Bill Kristol, Steve Schmidt, Max Boot, etc. Cheney is obviously one of this cadre of conservative thinkers who, as a matter of conscience, have stood up in resistance to the direction of the party they'd once supported and pretty much all of them have suffered consequences for doing so. Such behavior deserves to be lauded.
Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

1. I agree completely.

2. I am a democrat.

3. As a democrat, I would never vote for Liz Cheney.

4. Liz Cheney is and has always been a far right and right wing conservative.

5. Although, I would never vote for Liz Cheney, I do commend her for standing up to Trumpism.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 10:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Liz Cheney will not remain Republican if Trump is GOP nominee in 2024

1. Whether or not Liz Cheney remains a Republican will not change her ideology and her stance on policies.

2. Liz Cheney is and has always been a far right and right wing conservative.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 12:14 pm
@blatham,
Go ahead. Continue to give away the store.
blatham wrote:

Your apparent position here bears a notable similarity to Grover Norquist's stance: That "bipartisanship is another name for date rape". Both of you are, I'd suggest, purists.

Of course there are many individuals who have long been associated with the GOP and it's key political notions/values who have now abandoned the party (for reasons all of us would deem reasonable and welcome). Many of them had been influential over decades in forwarding GOP interests in the past, people such as Michael Gerson, David Frum, Bill Kristol, Steve Schmidt, Max Boot, etc. Cheney is obviously one of this cadre of conservative thinkers who, as a matter of conscience, have stood up in resistance to the direction of the party they'd once supported and pretty much all of them have suffered consequences for doing so. Such behavior deserves to be lauded.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 12:46 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Democracy is a pretense, but you still choose sides in the pretense.

And you're not doing the same?

At least you're consistent in your delusional aspects, and overt hypocrisy.

Oh, I acknowledge choosing sides. Aside from acknowledging finding one side at least "refreshing," you on the other hand do not acknowledge choosing sides, either because of your naive obliviousness, or cannot, because of your hypocrisy.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 12:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Right? She'd only push the Dems further right of center than they already are.

She's merely one flavor of psychotic right-wing what with her parroting rationalizations of her father Dick's invasion of Iraq.

Her stance against Trump and MAGA flavored right-wingnuttery is commendable, but it doesn't make her any less psychotically right-wing.

She and the Dems would be better off if she'd run as an Independent.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 03:38 pm
I don’t understand some of the reasoning going on here, about being against democrats “wanting” Liz Cheney, or voting for her.

First of all I did not see Cheney saying she planned to become a democrat. She said she’d stop being a Republican if Trump is the 2024 GOP nominee. And she said she’s going to openly support democratic candidates that run against MAGA big liars.

She didn’t say she was going to become a democrat.

Secondly, I don’t see anyone here (certainly not myself) saying they would vote for Cheney, or that they hope she runs, or that they are even thinking of her in those terms. So what does it mean, warning people about “wanting” Liz Cheney? Wanting her for what?

All I have ever said about Liz Cheney since 1/6 is just acknowledging her bold, outspoken stance against all things Trump. I can’t help but respect her for the work she’s doing as 1/6 committee chair. That’s the beginning and end of everything I am willing to “give away” to Cheney.

That doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten that she voted 90+ percent of the time WITH TRUMP. I haven’t suddenly become convinced that she is NOT still right wing in her bones. I didn’t suddenly forget what she has said and stood for in all of her political career before 1/6.

It’s possible to be clear-thinking enough to recognize that her stance against Trump and the big lie is a significant phenomenon, without being someone who “would vote for” or “want” her or is “giving away the store” to her. For ****’s sake.
engineer

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 04:37 pm
@snood,
Well said. There was a time when you could disagree with someone, even vehemently, and still respect them. I doubt there is much policy wise Cheney and I would agree on, but I respect her as an American who has a hard stop with some of the activities of the previous administration.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 04:52 pm
@engineer,
It's one thing to respect her stand against Trump and quite another to expect she would make a good Democrat.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 05:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Did Cheney even say she was going to become a democrat?
Who said “she would make a good democrat”?