Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Having said that the stuff in London was pretty bad, with anti vaxxers using it as an opportunity to throw fireworks at the police. Although to be fair they did burn an effigy of Boris Johnson so they weren't all bad.

I laughed at that one, Izzy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:01 am
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

"My" opinions or the opinions of writers whose articles I post?

This is an opinion forum. That’s why I think you should include what you actually think of the endless cut and pastes you post. I’m pretty sure that you either concur or think they are interesting takes, but if you don’t give any indication, it’s like you’re just handing out flyers. So I can only respond to what I think you think. It doesn’t make for very productive exchanges.

Why don’t you tell me what it is that I said about Garland’s DOJ that you disagree with?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:07 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Am I the only one who gets sick and tired of the “ reporting disarray among the Democrats”?

It never ******* eases up. A trillion dollar infrastructure bill passes at the same time as the best job numbers since forever. In Biden’s 10 months of governing, the distribution of vaccines and the compliance has gone from zero to 90%, giving us a real chance of recovering to some normalcy from the virus.

But you think that Maureen ******* Dowd has a handle on the important issues, like how” wokeness” is killing us, and how Biden better get off his ass and persuade people.

****!

There was a time when I considered Maureen Dowd an incisive columnist...who managed to come up with perspectives I had not considered.

For years now, the only opinions I have of her columns range from "that is horse ****" to "that is total horse ****."

Even when she close to being on my side of an issue, I want to yell, "Please, go be on their side."
snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Even when she close to being on my side of an issue, I want to yell, "Please, go be on their side."

Yup!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There was a time when I considered Maureen Dowd an incisive columnist...who managed to come up with perspectives I had not considered.

She wrote a pretty good one about Ken Starr once.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:37 am
I'm admittedly far from being any kind of an economist, but this makes sense to me. Wonder what y'all think about what's said here?

https://i.imgur.com/YOKjeuF.jpg
hightor

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:42 am
@snood,
Quote:
That’s why I think you should include what you actually think of the endless cut and pastes you post.

But then it gets into one person trying to sell a particular perspective – his own – as the right way to think on a topic. No one's mind seems to get changed on an opinion forum and there are very few topics where I know enough to present my opinion as that of an "expert". I'd rather supply articles which touch on subjects of concern; whether or not they represent my insignificant point of view is immaterial.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 06:54 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I'm admittedly far from being any kind of an economist, but this makes sense to me. Wonder what y'all think about what's said here?

BINGO!

That is also why economists suggest there are economic multipliers in certain kinds of governmental money transfers.

Some, like payments to welfare recipients almost pay for themselves because they generate so much spending of the kind shown in that item of yours. The GDP gets a good boost from those kinds of transfers. It is thought that ALL transfers benefit GDP, but some, like military industrial spending, creates less than others, because so much of it ends up in the hands of the rich.

Stuff that goes to the rich often ends up as art in a bank vault.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 07:15 am
Some of us can't read words small enough to fit on a grain of rice.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 07:16 am
@edgarblythe,
That's a part of what I have been saying on here for years.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 07:23 am
@hightor,
Are you saying that your point of view is not as significant as Maureen Dowd’s?
How do you figure that? Because she’s paid for hers?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 07:24 am
QOTD: "The money was all appropriated for the top in the hopes that it would trickle down to the needy. Mr. Hoover didn't know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellow's hands." -Will Rogers
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:02 am
@snood,
No, you aren't the only one.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:05 am
@snood,
A lot of people don't realize how complete the 45 and Barr fuckery of the DoJ was.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:06 am
@snood,
Some might claim the wealthy keep a clamp on inflation by sitting on their wealth.

Not me, though.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:08 am
@snood,
Quote:

Pretty much. Yes.
Quote:
How do you figure that?

Purely from self-assessment as I don't know the woman.

snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:31 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Pretty much. Yes.
Quote:
How do you figure that?

Purely from self-assessment as I don't know the woman

Okay. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't know how knowing an editorial writer personally would inform how significant that person's opinions are. I guess "significant" is sort of a tricky adjective here. Anyway, I think the only thing that would make Dowd's opinion
about something more significant than yours or mine or anyone else's on A2K is if she could claim some kind of expertise on the subject. And I'm sorry, but all Dowd might possibly make that claim about is how to be snarky and occasionally amusing about current events in 500 words or less. ( I mean, have you seen how often she uses the "people are saying" and "some have said" lead-in to her BS?)
snood

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Some of us can't read words small enough to fit on a grain of rice.

Some of us would just expand the picture for themselves and not tried to make a point of contention out of it.

Quote:
That's a part of what I have been saying on here for years.

That's impressive. You took a simple question about the velocity of money, and made it into another case of "I, edgar told you so".

Get over yourself
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 08:40 am
@snood,
( I mean, have you seen how often she uses the "people are saying" and "some have said" lead-in to her BS?)

Salient point.

Trump: "I'm not saying it, but I've heard other people say Obama wasn't born in the US, not me, but other people ...."
0 Replies