blatham

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 09:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 7171305)
blatham wrote:

Quote:
such obvious efforts to silence the voices of those with whom you disagree

If that was the goal, obviously I'd have told others to cease quoting you or even reading your posts.

Not at al. Let's face it: we disagree vigorously, but respect each other, and find each other interesting and, in some fashion, amiable. Godammit !

So then you understand that I do not act to silence anyone on the basis of disagreements.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 09:38 pm
@snood,
Quote:
@blatham,
Quote:
blatham wrote:

Pity he's not like Trump who always treated everyone with respect. Famous for it. Very fit for the office, that fellow.

It’s mind-bendingly bizarre that they say things like “The president should treat people with respect” without a shred of irony.

Yes. This disjunction is beyond my comprehension.
0 Replies

ManOfTruth

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 09:54 pm
This is a DIRECT result of idiot Biden voters.

Let's go Brandon!

Supply chain shortage is driving up prices. Farmers are worried it could grow worse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supply-chain-shortage-is-driving-up-prices-farmers-are-worried-it-could-grow-worse/ar-AAPGZGB
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 09:57 pm
@ManOfTruth,
no it is not.It's a result of the disruptions in orderly supply and demand, production, consumption, labor, and transportation brought on by the pandemic, whhich of course trump exacerbated, which ou swould reallize if you were honest.
0 Replies

ManOfTruth

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 10:06 pm
Americans being forced to pay ridiculous inflated prices and facing food and product shortages should be allowed to sue Biden voters for negligence and idiocy.

None of this would've happened on Trump's watch.

And now we all have to pay.

Because of Biden voting idiots.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 03:36 am
@ManOfTruth,
that's because trump was totally unable to deal with the pandemic-caused disruptions in supply and demand, disruption of production and trsnsport snd allocation of resources and products. and his allies vblock all the corrective measures biden has proposed.We should just send trump and alll his toadies to Gitmo for the rest of their natural lives, so biden and all the sane voters can get things running again smoothly.
Builder

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 03:42 am
@MontereyJack,
Your memory seems to be totes removed from your senses.

Pelosi and her dems were actively attempting to impeach your president at the start of the plandemic, and did nothing to help the nation at all.

If any blame for the tardy response can be placed, it is squarely on the dems, and not your president.
hightor

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:31 am
@Builder,
a person wrote:
...at the start of the plandemic

Oh look — a conspiracy! That should give you a few clues as to this individual's grasp of reality!

the same person wrote:
If any blame for the tardy response can be placed, it is squarely on the dems, and not your president.

That rather feeble defense has been made repeatedly by oralloy. But Trump was acquitted on Feb 5, which allowed him plenty of time to mount a full-scale public health campaign. It's not as if he spent the month of January doing his own legal research for his impeachment defense anyway; he had a team of lawyers and congressional allies to do that. But instead of mounting a concerted effort, Trump lied to the American people about the coronavirus, even as officials briefed him specifically about COVID-19 twice in January. A month later, Trump admitted in a taped conversation with journalist Bob Woodward that he was aware of how contagious and deadly it was while at the same time telling the public, “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.” He downplayed the disease dozens of times (and still does) because he was more concerned about his "numbers" than he was about covid or impeachment, as he had the voters in the Senate to block any conviction.

Here's what Trump himself had to say about impeachment causing any distraction from his presidential duties:

Quote:
"But certainly I guess I thought of it. And I think I probably acted – I don't think I would have done better had I not been impeached, OK? And I think that's a great tribute to something. Maybe it's a tribute to me. But I don't think I would've acted any differently or I don't think I would've acted any faster."

Builder

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:36 am
@hightor,
Were you trying to make a point there, hi?

It's often very vague.
hightor

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:41 am
@Builder,
Yes, I know logic isn't your strong point.

Here, I'll simplify it for you.

Blaming anyone other than the administration for the covid debacle in the USA is unsupported by the facts.

And I think the ex-president's response speaks for itself.
Builder

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:43 am
@hightor,

Quote:
Here, I'll simplify it for you

Dude; your whole persona is too simple for most people, so don't try too hard, okay?
ManOfTruth

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:45 am
@hightor,
Who's the president RIGHT NOW???

Is it Trump?

Do you think that the economy in the U.S. is going well right now?

Are you able to answer these straight forward questions?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:47 am
@Builder,
So you agree that the tardy response had nothing to do with the impeachment – great! You're really coming along.
0 Replies

ManOfTruth

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:56 am
Children are smart enough to understand that Biden is president, NOT Trump.

Apparently you can't understand things that children can with ease.
0 Replies

ManOfTruth

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 05:01 am
Just to make a few things clear here:

1) Joe Biden is the president of the United States, not Donald Trump.
2) The economy is going straight to hell.
3) Logic would inform any rational adult that Donald Trump isn't to blame for the economy going to hell, and that, in fact, Joe Biden is DIRECTLY responsible for it.

#FACTS^
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 05:19 am
Quote:
Logic would inform any rational adult that Donald Trump isn't to blame for the economy going to hell, and that, in fact, Joe Biden is DIRECTLY responsible for it.

That's neither a factual nor a logical argument. For one thing, policies enacted in a previous administration can affect the economy going forward. Secondly, while there are many disruptions in the present economy, these are global problems caused by the pandemic and not specific to the USA. Thirdly, job growth has been directly affected by the spike in covid infection caused by the delta variant, not Biden, and the economy would be much worse had it not been for the American Rescue Plan which Biden signed into law.

Quote:
The Post Hoc Fallacy is committed whenever one reasons to a causal conclusion based solely on the supposed cause preceding its alleged effect. Of course, it's a necessary condition of causation that the cause precede the effect, but it's not a sufficient condition. In other words, a cause must precede its effect, but one event's preceding another is not enough to conclude that the one caused the other. Thus, post hoc evidence may suggest the hypothesis of a causal relationship, but it is never sufficient evidence on its own to establish it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 05:34 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Nagging, scolding and stupid expressions that one's" patience is exhausted" breeds only sullen resistance and anger, and in this case has turned a formerly willing population to that state.

Almost universally, the people you are speaking of are Republicans. If you want to conclude such folks have the maturity and responsibility level of a five year old, fine with me.

Re paragraph two... well done on recognizing the merits of Federal policy re covid.

Quote:
That our President doesn't understand that rather obvious fact of human nature is vivid testimony to his unfitness for the position he now occupies.

Pity he's not like Trump who always treated everyone with respect. Famous for it. Very fit for the office, that fellow.

BINGO!

How anyone who is not condemning Trump and his demeanor can possibly fault Joe Biden on that account is beyond comprehension.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 08:20 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
we disagree vigorously, but respect each other, and find each other interesting and, in some fashion, amiable. Godammit !

I didn't speak to this part of your post earlier but as we've known each other for nearly a quarter century and had conversations that number surely well over a thousand instances I thought I ought to speak about what you've said. My options were to respond privately or here, publicly. I choose here because our interactions have mostly been within this community, a community I value.

I have no problem with the words you've used above. They reflect my own sentiments/feelings - not withstanding the flack I've received over the years for maintaining a friendship with you even if that flack has included some compelling arguments regarding the limits of friendship. And here it would be dishonest to avoid confessing to one robust bias which colors my thinking more than probably any other - I like people who like me.

During many long periods of time where you or I have been absent here, I've consistently found myself wondering what's going on in your noggin. During these periods, I've thought of you as something like the canary hanging in a mineshaft. "Certainly, for the love of God", I've thought, "Certainly this event of that person or these outcomes have led George to change his ******* mind!" Your or my return and what that has revealed has been a long string of "Oh, good! I get to hear what George is thinking!" and "Oh for **** sake!"

The last five years have done damage to my regard for you, George, particularly this post election period.

Are you really not aware that Trump and his allies actively tried to overturn the election? Or that this attempt to eviscerate the foundation of US democracy was very close to succeeding?

Does it really escape your attention that in almost all Republican controlled states there is now an ongoing campaign - based totally on falsehoods and scare-mongering of "election fraud" - to manipulate the processes of how elections are managed and results tabulated so that the will of the electorate will be ignored if such manipulations succeed? That this is a continuation and expansion of what came close to succeeding on Jan 6? That a broad cadre of Republican supporters are being encouraged to act as ground force troops (including those carrying weapons) in overturning elections wherever the results place Dems in office?

I'm fond of you, George, as I've said. But there are limits. And all this stuff I've just described is far, far too dangerous to dismiss.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 08:47 am
I have believed from the first to now that had the assault on the 6th been successful the military would have stepped in to quell the uprising.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 09:21 am
@blatham,
Election fraud in many forms has been around for a very long time. The art was initially over 150 years ago perfected by the Democrat Tammany Hall group in New York, growing from just Manhattan to state control (and largely supported by large numbers of Irish immigrants). Later similar enduring Democrat political dynasties in Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, New Orleans and other cities & states joined in. It's been fairly well documented that a combination of Joseph Kennedy Sr. the Dailey machine and the Mafia turned a close election in Cook County Il. (Chicago & environs) to JFK in a very close national election and may well have been the decisive final factor. There was widespread concern over the issue but Richard Nixon refused to push for redress, as he said "for the good of the Country".

I grew up in a political family (Democrats) in Michigan and witnesses some of this stuff myself.

I believe what at least appears to be your axiomatic assertion that there was no fraud at all, particularly in the key swing states, is demonstrably false, and very unrealistic. There is certainly ample evidence that fraud was occurring at several levels in States from California to Georgia, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan. Whether it was decisive in any of these stated is something I don't claim to know. Trump was certainly very focused on the possibility in both his many statements and attempted actions on the matter. Contributing factors were likely his very combative nature and the experience of, protracted and often illegal, efforts to disgrace unseat and impeach him, none of which yielded anything decisive or of sufficient legal merit, and much of which was attended by criminal actions on the part of senior Democrat Government officials. These things have consequences.

We have seen much more thuggery attending the riotous takeovers of Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle and events in many other cities than has been established in any Trupm or Republican inspired efforts. That's just an observable fact.

You are a smart guy, but your categorical assertions in this and other matters suggest either a serious lack of objectivity or, more likely in my view, an excessive zeal for particular political causes, and the blindness that often results. You, of course blame me for the same thing. I believe you are wrong.

While there may well be an organized Republican effort to focus on this stuff, there is also an equally well organized Democrat effort to control the election process in key swing states and to loosen restrictions on voter ID and ballot security. What do you suppose are the motives behind Biden's refusal to enforce existing immigration laws on our southern border and rather secretive dispersion of immigrants throughout the country -combined as it is with continuing efforts to get such illegal residents access to the ballot box. This is exactly how Democrats turned California (with a long history of effective Republican governors) into a solid Blue state over the past 25 years.

Human nature remains full of contradictions and complexity. It defies the rational organization in every form, and the authoritarian governance that must attend and support it. Efforts to achieve such perfection have all failed, yielding only tyranny and poverty. Key elements of the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel, which addresses the folly of such efforts, are also found in the Sumerian Epic Gilgamesh which preceded it by more than a millennium.