Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 07:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

trump did a rather savvy thing in relation building by first really inculcating to a constituency of folks who would rather live in the third reich than admit that they fucked up in who they backed.

They wont drop him because itd make them admit being really stupid to begin with

Amen!
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 07:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
farmer wrote:
They wont drop him because itd make them admit being really stupid to begin with
it makes them look stupid no matter what...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 07:23 am
@farmerman,
Okay. I just won’t give him any credit for crafting any kind of movement or having some kind of secret sauce. I think he was just the slovenly pile of crap people poured the pent up frustrated passion into that they had built up during 8 years of having an erudite internationally popular black man in that office.

People can always find outlier exceptions. A black conservative. A former Obama voter that switched.

The unspoken bulk of Trump’s popularity was from people who needed someone to be for white people and for the nostalgia of some bogus time in their heads when America was “great”. When white men were the unquestioned head of everything, and there was no fear of white people becoming a minority.
Trump spoke to all that. And they’re so crazy they have changed his lie into their truth.

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 07:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
youve drafted more of a "plan B". if Trump,as it happened, didnt come out on top in Maricopa. His long term time horizons are measured in "Golden Retriever chrons'.
Imagining that John Eastman (a bigwig at the Federalist Society) or Giuliani or Steve Bannon or McCarthy actually believed their claims of a stolen election and that this exercise in Arizona would find such evidence is naive. Heather Cox Richardson gets the story right. Trump could collapse and die today and nothing of substance would change. Tucker Carlson or some other such would step in and the GOP/right, nearly in its entirety, would proceed just as we're seeing now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 07:54 am
Some people I have known for many many years treat Trump with all the reverence due a religious icon. They will never change their minds about it no matter what kind of truthful evidence they see. Some of them and I have had to stop communicating entirely. It's hurtful to know they live good lives for the most and don't do harm to others beyond supporting that stuff. I don't see this ending without more violence, because voter suppression andgerrymandering, plus a very weak Democratic administration puts us all in peril of another, darker presidency after Biden.
snood

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's hurtful to know they live good lives for the most and don't do harm to others beyond supporting that stuff.

I hear you, but “that stuff” they support does plenty of harm to others. Because that stuff includes abortion bans, voter suppression, qualified immunity for brutal cops, tax breaks for the rich and resistance to any initiatives to help the poor, among other things.

No offense intended, but to me, saying a person is a good person except for supporting Trump is sort of like saying except for the patient dying it was a good operation.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:10 am
@snood,
Plenty of "good" people thought Hitler was an awfully nice man too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:10 am
@snood,
Humans are a mix of good and evil impulses. You weed out the evil and the good likely dies also because it is half of a person.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I think that's quite correct. And there are people up top in the world of the right (in America and elsewhere) who understand this very well but have no compunctions regarding manipulation via whatever mechanisms they might discern. Thus the modern American right's affinities for Bolsonaro and Putin, etc. There's a pretty straight line between the religious iconography and framing of Reagan to those notions/habits of thought you note regarding Trump. This isn't entirely accidental. Will Bunch's book "Tear Down This Myth: The Right-Wing Distortion of the Reagan Legacy" is a detailed account of how Grover Norquist set to a project of framing Reagan in such terms. He has been very successful (and like Bannon, he too is a student of Lenin).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:33 am
Since that wretch came down the escalator I have struggled with my relationships with the people in my life that chose to support him. I think that particular struggle is a natural result of what happens when values (and perceptions of reality) clash.

I am of the opinion that for people to have no disruption or reassessment at all in those relationships, they have to be exercising denial that’s unhealthy as hell, and strong enough to warp metal.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:48 am
@snood,
I'm in agreement as far as Trump is concerned. It was clear what he was like from the off.

Boris Johnson is something else, when he first appeared on HIGNFY he was affable, funny and likable.

Now Ian Hislop and Paul Merton did a good job of pointing out his privilege and hypocrisy but his bumbling affability shone through.

That was back when he was a journalist about five years before he entered politics.

It took a while for the scales to fall and some people still can't see it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:56 am
My entire political belief system is opposed to fascism, racism, militarism, and oligarchy from whatever quarter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 10:27 am
Just saw a thing posted in Cori Bush's name, claiming there are over 60,000 undocumented Canadians living in the US. I bet they ain't picking cotton and cutting grapes. I bet mostly their skin is a lighter shade than comes from the south.
vikorr

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 03:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I bet mostly their skin is a lighter shade than comes from the south.
Ummm...the vast majority of Candians are white and the vast majority of Mexicans are darker skinned...so, great bet Very Happy
hightor

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 03:54 pm
@vikorr,
(If they're working in the tech industries the percentage of darker skin shades may be higher than user/edgarblythe suspects. I think the lesson here is having a job lined up – or at least good job prospects – before crossing the border. And don't cross the southern border.)
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 04:11 pm
@hightor,
I suspects that the majority are white. Not all, as I already said. And they are doing good jobs, not field work.
vikorr

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 04:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
And Canadians also come from a richer (higher expections), much better educated country (as a whole), most sharing the same first language as the US (presuming most come from the English speaking part of Canada) - so your statement is once more that is a likely outcome of the nature of the two countries.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 05:38 pm
@vikorr,
Whitewashing the fact they come here and take our good jobs, while the ones from the south get blamed for taking good jobs when usually they don't.
snood

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 06:04 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

(If they're working in the tech industries the percentage of darker skin shades may be higher than user/edgarblythe suspects. I think the lesson here is having a job lined up – or at least good job prospects – before crossing the border. And don't cross the southern border.)

Wait, you only think immigrants should come from the North?
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 06:23 pm
@snood,
I know whole ass bunh of Trumpies and many of these guys are reallybright , are degreed professionals (like physicians and scientists )and they have been sold the bag-o-trumpshit an I HAVE NO FUCKIN IDEA IN HELL WHY THEY DID IT.

0 Replies