Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 08:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
You mean wealth tax or capital gains tax? Piketty, who's French, wrote a book suggesting that governments around the world should raise taxes in order to help the indigent. Some liberals living in France don't even berate dirigisme.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 08:46 pm
I wish Hillary Clinton had been the president. She would have been a better choice than Obama. You know she knows how to play the game.

Obama is a dapper person. That's all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 09:46 pm
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:

I'd hate to ask you this question. Are you black? No offence. I'm just curious. If the answer is yes, then it's understandable for you to do down Trump and kiss up to Obama. Otherwise, I have to say that it's so odd for someone to claim that America had a thriving economy when Obama was the president. You don't even have to answer that question if you think it's offensive. Just forget it.

In 2008 Obama inherited an economy in recession. The economy began recovering due largely to Obama’s $787 billion stimulus package. This is fact, verifiable with numbers and graphs. It has nothing to do with whether the person talking about it is black or white.

Obama spearheaded bailing out the auto industry with loans that allowed American auto makers to modernize and become more competitive in the world. All of those loans were paid back. This is verifiable fact, documented exhaustively. Quoting those facts has nothing to do with whether someone is black or not.

The US economy started growing again in July 2009 and continued for over 120 months - right through Donald Trump’s presidency and didn’t stop growing until January 2020. If you look at any graph charting job growth, the line of constant, steady growth starting under Obama is clear.

To say that if someone is black they are more likely to state these things is just sick.

What’s closer to the truth is that some white people - like you - never wanted to give Obama credit for anything, and you are still lying about it.

BillW

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 09:56 pm
@snood,
snood, I know you don't like me to do this but I can't help it. Especially this time.

Obama and the Democrats did accomplished all you wrote; plus much more, with Mitch McConnell saying he would do his damnest to insure Obama did not succeed and get a 2nd term. Most of the Republicans backed Mitch.

Looks like they failed supremely! Then created a monster.
snood

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:00 pm
@BillW,
You know I don’t like... what?
What are you doing with your post that I supposedly don’t like?
oralloy

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:15 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Obama spearheaded bailing out the auto industry with loans that allowed American auto makers to modernize and become more competitive in the world.

Mr. Obama murdered Pontiac. And he did it because he hates America.

Shame!
goldberg

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:20 pm
@snood,
Snood, I don't want to argue with you over your Obama's economic achievements since you just think I'm lying no matter what I tell you. Yet there is no denying that most economists in America are leery of the view that America's economic growth picked up steam when Obama was the president. I'm not trying to put him down; it's just a fact.

goldberg

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:27 pm
@snood,
Remember I also ripped into Trump for his slowness to respond to Covid-19 last year? He could have done more to save more people.

I don't want to dwell on it since it's no use talking about this when Biden is the current president. I just want to tell you that you won't be able to restore America's greatness if you let political polarization and partisanship get the best of reason and robust debate.

I'm going to be spending the next few weeks reading some novels. So, you have fun here and take care.

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:28 pm
@oralloy,
Take care.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 10:29 pm
@snood,
You always shoot me down when I add on to your post without being invited too. I understand why - but I had too, this stupid bullshit about Obama from the right is ignorant lies. A person does not have to be black to understand that.

I was afraid in the beginning; only because of the lack of his experience. It didn't take long for Obama to prove he is a great President!
snood

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 11:09 pm
@BillW,
Well, that sounds pretty mean. I didn’t realize I was doing that, Bill. I’ll try to catch myself and stuff a sock in it, if I ever feel myself doing that again.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 24 May, 2021 11:13 pm
@goldberg,
Site some reputable economists explaining how the economy didn’t start growing as a result of the Obama stimulus.

Since it’s such a simple fact, you should have no problems finding them.
oristarA

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 07:16 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Site some reputable economists explaining how the economy didn’t start growing as a result of the Obama stimulus.
Since it’s such a simple fact, you should have no problems finding them.

Did you mean "Cite some reputable economists"?

You might mean "Locate/Find some..." It is perhaps a regional usage. I am not sure.
oralloy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 07:31 am
@oristarA,
I believe he meant "cite".
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 07:37 am
@oristarA,
Is it that hard to understand what I mean, in the context of my post? I’m merely asking for someone to provide a link to a source to back up what they’re saying. Could you not tell that’s what I was asking for?
oristarA

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 07:44 am
@snood,
At first glance, I read it as "Cite some..." which means "Provide some quotations from..." and is close to what you've explained above.

"Site", when associated with "provide", means "provide with a site". So I wondered the accurate meaning of your "site".
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:15 am
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:32 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

At first glance, I read it as "Cite some..." which means "Provide some quotations from..." and is close to what you've explained above.

"Site", when associated with "provide", means "provide with a site". So I wondered the accurate meaning of your "site".

Oh, I understand. You knew exactly what I meant but couldn’t resist the chance for some petty pedantry.
Well done sir, well done indeed. I stand corrected and humbled by your superior grasp of semantics.
Take a bow.
Take two.
roger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:44 am
@snood,
oristar is still working with the English language. Take many of his questions as being ESL.
oristarA

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:46 am
@snood,
Your English is good and I never intended or intend to correct your English, Snood.
Sorry for misunderstanding.
My intention was to know possible regional usages. Yet this intention appears to be misleading now. Honestly, my impression about your posts is that you are good at English and I NEVER mean to correct them.