9
   

Road to the Super Bowl Redux!

 
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 05:32 am
@George,
Thank you, George.

I enjoyed the thread...contest.

Super Bowl turned out to be another dud as far as I am concerned. Thought it would be a barn burner.

Oh, well...wait 'til next year.
Ragman
 
  3  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 06:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
What a grinch! Much excitement for us old farts....43-yr-old QBshone like no ther young sud..beating 2 HOF QB while on the road..and 68-yr-old coach Arian’s ..oldest coach to win SB.

Brady came to a team in the first year with no team practice due to COVID pandemic and got it together and beat the best!

Hardly boring unless you’re a KC Chiefs fan.
Region Philbis
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 06:49 am
@Ragman,

(or in Frank's case, a NY Giants fan...)
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  3  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 07:10 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

What a grinch! Much excitement for us old farts....43-yr-old QBshone like no ther young sud..beating 2 HOF QB while on the road..and 68-yr-old coach Arian’s ..oldest coach to win SB.

Brady came to a team in the first year with no team practice due to COVID pandemic and got it together and beat the best!

Hardly boring unless you’re a KC Chiefs fan.


I am 84 years old, Ragman.

Brady is a terrific quarterback...and did a fine job.

The game, though, was hardly a great contest. There were a half dozen games during the playoffs that were more interesting.



engineer
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 07:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
I do wish they would get away from automatically giving the MVP to the winning QB. I thought this was the year for a defender. TB's defense made this game. That is not to say Brady wasn't great, but honestly with the way the Chiefs' defense was giving out penalties and the TB defense was shutting down Mahome, pretty much any NFL QB could have won that game.
Frank Apisa
 
  3  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 08:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I do wish they would get away from automatically giving the MVP to the winning QB. I thought this was the year for a defender. TB's defense made this game. That is not to say Brady wasn't great, but honestly with the way the Chiefs' defense was giving out penalties and the TB defense was shutting down Mahome, pretty much any NFL QB could have won that game.


I agree. I had mentioned to my wife that I thought Gronkowski might win it. But...the QB position has a big advantage.

But along your line of thinking, E, I think they ought to consider giving an MVP (offense) and MVP (defense).

engineer
 
  3  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 08:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think that is a great idea. Another thought would be MVP winner, MVP loser. I remember the year the Pats beat Carolina. It was a thriller down to the last two minutes. Of course Brady won the MVP, but he had great protection all game long, he just sat in the pocket and drilled passes. Delahome for the Panthers was scrambling like mad, dodging defenders left and right and keeping the Panthers in the game. He was clearly the star of the game in terms of playing the lights out and keeping it interesting but of course, his team lost.
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 10:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
I’m teasing you, Frank. Interesting is all relative. I’m an unabashed Brady fan and now that I’m a snowbird in So Fl, a new Bucs fan.

However, if you wanted a well contested game, it lacked the suspense. I must agree that watching from a balanced game-action standpoint, you could’ve left at the half. There were some great playoff games that had me glued the whole game.

As for ages, I’m 70 years,not a spring chicken by any means, and appreciate how well ‘older’ QBs are doing as compared to past.
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 10:11 am
@engineer,
I agree. Though Brady was awesome, that whole defense should’ve been the MVP. Perhaps if they wanted to narrow it done, maybe narrowing it down to LB Devin White? I think the talking heads said Mahoney ran around for 400 yards while being chased.
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 10:38 am
@Ragman,
Yeah, it was funny, my wife who only watches football during the Super Bowl and when my kids are in the marching band was really impressed by Mahoney's hustle. She thought he should have been the MVP!
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 10:55 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think that is a great idea. Another thought would be MVP winner, MVP loser. I remember the year the Pats beat Carolina. It was a thriller down to the last two minutes. Of course Brady won the MVP, but he had great protection all game long, he just sat in the pocket and drilled passes. Delahome for the Panthers was scrambling like mad, dodging defenders left and right and keeping the Panthers in the game. He was clearly the star of the game in terms of playing the lights out and keeping it interesting but of course, his team lost.


Great point. Points!
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 11:00 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I’m teasing you, Frank. Interesting is all relative. I’m an unabashed Brady fan and now that I’m a snowbird in So Fl, a new Bucs fan.

However, if you wanted a well contested game, it lacked the suspense. I must agree that watching from a balanced game-action standpoint, you could’ve left at the half. There were some great playoff games that had me glued the whole game.

As for ages, I’m 70 years,not a spring chicken by any means, and appreciate how well ‘older’ QBs are doing as compared to past.


I'm just busting balls, R.

I had such great expectations for the game...and was very disappointed. Funny how so many "Super" Bowls...have been anything but SUPER.

Oh, well...next time the Jints get into the final game...it will be SUPER. They have been in a couple of very delightful Super Bowl games.





George
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 12:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
They have been in a couple of very delightful Super Bowl games.
Of which I have painful memories
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2021 12:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The SB with Tyree’s Helmet Catch! Arggggh! Nothing beats that for drama (and pain) especially as it was the end of a back-and-forth game! Not to mention Manning evading the sack 3 times! I think that was on the same play in SB 42.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2021 06:28 am
@George,
George wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
They have been in a couple of very delightful Super Bowl games.
Of which I have painful memories


Wink
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2021 06:32 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The SB with Tyree’s Helmet Catch! Arggggh! Nothing beats that for drama (and pain) especially as it was the end of a back-and-forth game! Not to mention Manning evading the sack 3 times! I think that was on the same play in SB 42.


Ahhh, yes. A delightful memory of a delightful game.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Football in Canada/USA - Question by Victor Eremita
Fantasty Football 2008 - Discussion by jpinMilwaukee
Christian QB erases Steelers - Discussion by gungasnake
Soccer/Football Fans - Discussion by Diest TKO
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/28/2021 at 05:08:42