Does The Left Honestly Support Our Troops?

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:25 pm
Give me your definition then.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Give me your definition then.

Your only asking him to look in a dictionary for more useless knowledge. He won't give you his definition because he doesn't have one. He sure know books, I will give him that.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
JW, without that LOL, you're posts are pretty good :wink:.

I pretty much agree with what you say, and that brings me back to an earlier question, why write such an article? Why post such a thread? Suppose everyone who is against the war said they don't support the troops (leaving aside for a moment the fact that "support" is largely subject to interpretation), what then? I just don't see why it matters.

Part of the reason, I think, is because the preponderance of reporting is negative and it gets back to the troops. Don't forget we're in the 'information' age and the news reaches Iraq almost in real time.

Just a week or so ago I heard an Army general voicing his concerns of its impact on his soldiers. They pay attention to the 'feedback from home' and I know first hand that they're concerned that the more positive efforts are not being reported on their behalf.

Repeating over and over that it's the 'wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time' and then claiming to 'support the troops' in the next sentence (such as Kerry did) seems dishonest to some.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:47 pm
JustWonders wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
JW, without that LOL, you're posts are pretty good :wink:.

I pretty much agree with what you say, and that brings me back to an earlier question, why write such an article? Why post such a thread? Suppose everyone who is against the war said they don't support the troops (leaving aside for a moment the fact that "support" is largely subject to interpretation), what then? I just don't see why it matters.

Part of the reason, I think, is because the preponderance of reporting is negative and it gets back to the troops. Don't forget we're in the 'information' age and the news reaches Iraq almost in real time.

Just a week or so ago I heard an Army general voicing his concerns of its impact on his soldiers. They pay attention to the 'feedback from home' and I know first hand that they're concerned that the more positive efforts are not being reported on their behalf.

Repeating over and over that it's the 'wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time' and then claiming to 'support the troops' in the next sentence (such as Kerry did) seems dishonest to some.

Just my opinion.

Think of the moral support this gives those fighting against our troops. It was the same thing during Vietnam. There was a NV general who said they were going to give up on the war when they learned about the issues back in the US. They knew if they held on the anti-war freaks in the US would cause the US defeat. It provided the enemy with hope and that in turn didn't help the US troops. The same is happening now.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:50 pm
JustWonders wrote:

Just my opinion.

Ok, I can accept that and respect your opinion. But do you think the troops feel better when they read an article like this one? If we say "you know you're right, we don't support the troops" does that give them more confidence?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
Not going to happen, Baldy Smile

If they write to me with good news of their successes so far away from home, I make sure to include twice that number of good news reports from here.

There are some 'good news' reports out there...one just has to dig to find them. I don't think the conscience of this country can (or wants to) let what happened in the Vietnam era be repeated with the troops now serving.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

Just my opinion.

Ok, I can accept that and respect your opinion. But do you think the troops feel better when they read an article like this one? If we say "you know you're right, we don't support the troops" does that give them more confidence?

Didn't your mother ever tell you if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
Freeduck - I think they'd probably appreciate the honesty.

If I put myself in their place, I know I would.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
McGentrix, this lefty certainly supports our troops. I'd like to remove them from harm's way in this most stupid of wars. I don't support the Bush gang.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
Baldimo wrote:
[Think of the moral support this gives those fighting against our troops. It was the same thing during Vietnam. There was a NV general who said they were going to give up on the war when they learned about the issues back in the US. They knew if they held on the anti-war freaks in the US would cause the US defeat. It provided the enemy with hope and that in turn didn't help the US troops. The same is happening now.

Oops - I misread and then replied too fast.

I totally agree with the above paragraph, and have read what that NV general said. I hope this country wakes up before it's too late.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
Ought German citizens to have supported their troops in 1945? All the troops? Regardless of their tasks and their behavior?

Would Japanese citizens in the same period have been morally wrong to protest the nation's forces? To speak out against, had they known, the treatment of Americans held and tortured? Is that an instance of 'not supporting the troops'?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Didn't your mother ever tell you if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Well, that's kind of my point, actually.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
blatham wrote:
Ought German citizens to have supported their troops in 1945? All the troops? Regardless of their tasks and their behavior?

Would Japanese citizens in the same period have been morally wrong to protest the nation's forces? To speak out against, had they known, the treatment of Americans held and tortured? Is that an instance of 'not supporting the troops'?

It figures you would bring in the past of non-democratic countries on the war rampage. Our country and those countries have nothing in common. It is only in the minds of people such as yourself that there is a link. Try to think a little bit more highly of your fellow citizens before talking so much poop.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:09 pm
Blatham, I agree. I'm sure you have expected something like Baldino's comment that we are different. I'm sure that's what the Germans would have said. We kill bad people; our enemies kill good people.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:13 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Blatham, I agree. I'm sure you have expected something like Baldino's comment that we are different. I'm sure that's what the Germans would have said. We kill bad people; our enemies kill good people.

Do you doubt that the killing of terrorists is a good thing? Or should we have layed down after 9-11 and let them do as they wish?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
I think killing people is never a good thing, no matter what you label them. It is sometimes necessary, but never good.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think killing people is never a good thing, no matter what you label them. It is sometimes necessary, but never good.

Sure it is good to kill people. It just has to be under the right reasons and in this case we are using death for the right reasons.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 10:57 pm
I have had loved ones, friends, and neighbors in every war in my lifetime including this one. I gauge support by what they think is support.

Would you feel supported if somebody gave you lip service that they support you but despise or discount everything you are doing, everything you believe in, everything you have committed this time of your life to do, everything you have accomplished, and everything you hope for? Would you feel supported by those who say they support you but give their sympathy and understanding to those sworn to destroyl you? Would you feel supported by those who put far more emphasis on a very few bad eggs or on things that get fu*ked up rather than on the huge majority of honorable professionals accomplishing so many impressive things?

Would you feel supported by nightly newscasts or front pages reoorting on all those crying about the wrongness and futility of your mission and repeating it day after day for all your enemies to see and be encouraged to keep up the pressure of bombings and killings?

When you do that to our troops, I can guarantee you they do not feel supported in the least. In fact they are not supported.

If you truly support the troops, you get behind the effort and cheer them on get the job done as efficiently, effectively, and expeditiously as possible with the goal of the best possible outcome. You let them know you're behind them and are confident that they will be victorious. In so doing you give them encouragement and confidence while breaking the will of the enemy. In my opinion that is what supporting the troops is.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:32 pm
Freeduck, I agree: sometimes there is evil necessity. To define it as a good is reveal one's moral depravity.
And Foxfyre, do you support all wars? Is it impossible to send young people off to die for illegitimate reasons?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:46 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
If you truly support the troops, you get behind the effort and cheer them on get the job done as efficiently, effectively, and expeditiously as possible with the goal of the best possible outcome. You let them know you're behind them and are confident that they will be victorious. In so doing you give them encouragement and confidence while breaking the will of the enemy. In my opinion that is what supporting the troops is.

Oh really? That just sounds like a cheerleader. I know that song... it's from The Pirates of Penzance..."Now, forward on the foe... now forward on the foe (Oh, but you don't go?) At last they go, at last they go, at last they go, at last they really, really go."

I'm the daughter of an officer and make slant is a little bit different:
First you make damned sure that the job is supposed to be done.
Second you give them good equipment, good intelligence and good leadership.
Then, you make damned sure that when they come home, that they're treated well, given full medical benefits and pensions for their injuries.

This was Mr.Piffka's Quote of the Day:
Quote:

"The basic problems facing the world today are not susceptible to a military solution." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-1963)

(Ed. note: This remark is directed to the Bush crime family: Time for all you bad-ass flag-waving rear-echelon mf's to put up or shut up. If you think Iraq is such a hot idea, then you pick up a gun and get your sorry ass over there and take care of it, and come home with half your face blown off. No one? I thought so, you hypocritical pricks.)

Should I note once again that Mr.P is a VN Veteran who volunteered for the army as the scion of a long line of honorable patriots?

Putting a yellow magnet on your car does not really show you support the troops.

Not fighting stupid wars shows you support the troops and respect them.

Another good way so to take care of the troops after they get back. That shows you support and honor them.

NOT ONE OF THOSE ACTIONS IS BEING CARRIED OUT BY THIS ADMINISTRATION OR THE NEOCONS SUPPORTING THEM, but oh, boy, we've got a lot of yellow magnets.
0 Replies