Does The Left Honestly Support Our Troops?

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:40 pm
Does The Left Honestly Support Our Troops?
By Dennis Prager

Liberals, Democrats and others on the Left frequently state that they "support the troops." For most of them, whether they realize it or not, this is not true. They feel they must say this because the majority of Americans would find any other position unacceptable. Indeed, for most liberals, the thought that they really do not support the troops is unacceptable even to them.

Lest this argument be dismissed as an attack on leftist Americans' patriotism, let it be clear that leftists' patriotism is not the issue here. Their honesty is.

In order to understand this, we need to first have a working definition of the term "support the troops." Presumably it means that one supports what the troops are doing and rooting for them to succeed. What else could "support the troops" mean? If you say, for example, that you support the Yankees or the Dodgers, we assume it means you want them to win.

But most of the Left does not want the troops to win in Iraq. The Left's message is this: "You troops may think you are winning; you may think you are doing good and moral things in Iraq; you may believe you are fighting the worst human beings of our age and protecting us against the scourge of Islamic terror. But we on the Left believe none of that. We believe this war is being fought for oil and for Halliburton and other corporations; we believe you are waging a war that is both illegal and immoral; we believe you have invaded a country for no good reason and have killed a hundred thousand Iraqis [the Left's generally mentioned number] for no good reason; but, hey, we sure do support you."

Honest people on the Left need to understand that the two positions are not reconcilable. A German citizen during World War II could not have argued: "The Nazi regime's army is engaged in an evil war of aggression and is slaughtering millions of innocent people, and I therefore completely oppose this war, but I sure do support the Nazi troops."

One example is the claim made by Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry and almost all other Democrats and liberals that the war in Iraq is "the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time." How does one support troops that are fighting a wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time? A few leftist writers have been honest enough to say, "Nothing personal, guys, but I sure don't support you." But the vast majority of the Left and all Democratic politicians have not been honest on this matter.

A second example is the oft-repeated line, found on liberal bumper stickers, "War is not the answer." Aside from the idiocy of this claim -- war has solved slavery, ended the Holocaust, destroyed Japanese Fascism, preserved half the Korean peninsula from near-genocide, and saved Israel from extinction, among other noble achievements -- the claim offers no support to those who do engage in war.

How could one believe that "war is not the answer" and also claim to "support the troops," the very people waging what is "not the answer"? The answer is, by being dishonest.

A third example is the Left's opposition to military recruitment on most of the elite and many other college campuses. So deep is leftist disdain for troops that most on the Left regard the mere presence of military personnel on a university campus as a form of contamination. Yet, the Left claims to "support the troops."

Many on the Left express far more contempt than support for the troops.

A Democratic senator compares our interrogators to the Nazis and Communist torturers; the head of Amnesty International in America defends likening Guantanamo Bay to the Gulag; and liberals routinely speak of troops as coming from the lowest socio-economic rungs of society (maybe that's one reason they oppose recruiters on campuses, lest the best educated actually join the military). But, hey, the Left supports the troops.

An honest leftist would say: "Because I view this war as immoral, I cannot support our troops." What is not honest is their saying, "Support the troops -- bring them home." Supporting people who wish to fight entails supporting their fight; and if that fight is opposed, those waging it are also opposed.

Many on the Left angrily accuse the Right of disparaging their patriotism. That charge, too, is false. I have never heard a mainstream conservative impugn the patriotism of liberals. But as regards their attitude toward our troops, the patriotism of those on the Left is not the issue. The issue is their honesty.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 19,525 • Replies: 466
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:01 pm
A strawman tied up with bootstrapping and knocked down with an ipse dixit. Well done, Dennis Prager, you've again met our lowest expectations. Now go pick up your paycheck.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:04 pm
There is a huge difference between supporting the men and women in our service and supporting what the government has gotten them into.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:07 pm
I brought up the fact that I didn't think I could really support the troops if I didn't support the war, and immediately got piled on by a bunch of righties as if I was actively blaming, opposing, and condemning them, or as if I hated the military.

But it doesn't really matter. Nobody supports the troops. The right sure doesn't. They send them off as cannon fodder, deny their deaths, cut their VA benefits, and then wave the flag in their faces. Or they send them off to be torture's handmaiden and when the pictures hit the paper they sell the "few bad apples" down the river. And heaven help them if they run for office against a Republican any time in the future -- they will be slimed for the very service we are supposed to respect. Rah rah rah.

So, tighty righties, get off that high horse and quit hiding behind your yellow ribbons and your porch flags. You don't support a damn thing but greed, gluttony and exploitation.

Disclaimer: The words above were not intended to be any more a coherent argument than the article posted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
I've known a few soldiers. The last thing they "wish" for is war. I think this writer does soldiers a great disservice by presenting them as automomans who think was is fun.

I think it is absurd and sad to compare soldiers to football teams who play games for amusement.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:25 pm
You're not just a pretty beak, are you ducky?

Well, though sadly, said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:30 pm
Does the left honestly support our troops? Yes, certainly they do. This is a thoroughly scurrilous article. Personally, i have stated more than once in these fora that as we have invaded Iraq, we need to make it right before we pull out. I don't see the administration effectively doing that--which is not a condemnation of the troops. Supporting the troops does not equate with supporting the idiotic policy which sent them in harm's way. As mentioned, on the "you broke it, you fix it" principle, i certainly want to see the Army and Marines complete the job, and come home as soon as possible.

This piece of tripe is an offense to everyone who loves their nation, supports the troops and despises the venal policies of the current administration. As a veteran, i am particularly offended. Nice work, McG--how typical this sort of drek is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:34 pm
Are you suggesting that this commentary is directly about you? Do you feel attacked by what this author has to say even though he isn't directly addressing you? Why?

I think it's right on the button. I believe there are far too many people in the US that fit the description prager has given. If it does not describe you, you have nothing to feel offended at, do you?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
I think the whole point was to offend. What else would the point be of writing such an article and making such an argument? To convince military men and women that lefties/liberals/democrats whatever are against them? To shame those of us who are against in the war into making uninspiring protests that we do so support the troops? Do not, do so, do not, do so, do not, do so infinity.....

I've had about enough of it. I can respect those who serve in the armed forces for the service they signed up to do, I can support their families here who have to make do without them, I can welcome them home and be glad they aren't dead, but I don't have to convert to a Republican to be a patriotic American. And I don't have to support the mission they were sent on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
Weasel to your heart's content, McG, you intended this as an offense, and you had people at this site whom you characterize as "leftists" in mind. Prager's article doesn't qualifiy those whom he excoriates, other than that he blasts a very broad class of people known as "the left." Your disingenuous attempt to apply a feeble "if the shoe fits" criterion won't fool anyone here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
I also don't have to cut back on the coffee. But I probably should after that last one.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
It must have awfully close to home, huh Set?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:42 pm
Much as Prager likes to paint everyone on his/her perceived left with a broad brush, I like to paint McG with a broad brush. I simply assume s/he/it intends to offend others. The theory works nicely. Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:

No, and that's what i mean about the typical character of your posting--you want to smear people with something like this, and if someone objects, then you use that old playground tactic, if the shoe fits. As i already mentioned, i have more than once stated that i consider it necessary to successfully establish a stable government in Iraq before we pull out.

And that is all of this particular example of your bile-spewing i will endure.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:47 pm
McG, your faux patriotism is wearing quite thin.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:49 pm
This is a pretty sad day for you overall, McG. Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

No, and that's what i mean about the typical character of your posting--you want to smear people with something like this, and if someone objects, then you use that old playground tactic, if the shoe fits. As i already mentioned, i have more than once stated that i consider it necessary to successfully establish a stable government in Iraq before we pull out.

And that is all of this particular example of your bile-spewing i will endure.

What bile-spewing? You are angry at me for an article written by someone else and you have claimed to be offended by it. You then continue with your usual haughty attitude, "Nice work, McG--how typical this sort of drek is." Then you accuse me of weaseling and characterizations of your own imaginings.

I have some news for you Setanta, the only one spewing bile here is you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:58 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McG, your faux patriotism is wearing quite thin.

What the **** does that mean?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:59 pm
Tell me, McG, what was your intent in posting the article in its entirety?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:55 pm
In North Korea there is simply no scurrilous dissent and no whimpering appeasers - the troops there are supported completely. This is the ideal.
0 Replies