Question for those in MASSACHUSETTS!!!!!!!!!

marycat

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
I meant to bake some holiday cheer for everyone but I, too, have been running around like mad today and all week! It's a crazy time of year.

Looking forward to seeing lots of people!

(Crazylady: I don't know how young you are, but I think I may be the second youngest at 30. A2Kers come in all ages!)
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:32 pm
I'll be the first to post about it since we left the earliest!!

I had an awesome time, the food was great and I enjoyed meeting everyone!!

Except for getting lost, now that was a bit of a pain, so thanks George from saving us from those crazy Boston roads, where everywhere is a one way and they all lead you back in a circle

But we got home sooo much faster than when we came, even though we got lost again and completely skipped route 3 I think haha
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:40 pm
I had a great time and I believe everyone else did too. Yes, you guys--I can now confirm Crazielady is a cutie. Now as to level of conversation I assure you there were some eloquent people and the diversity was breathtaking. To prove it I'll give you a sampling. I was asked a question I could not answer. Since my breadth of knowledge is vast (not only that but half vast) that was quite a feat. The question,doubtless prompted by the beer I was drinking, was why does Rolling Rock beer have a "33" on the bottle.
Since a query of such scope obviously should not go unanswered I searched far and wide for the answer. Here it is.

Why is there a "33" on Rolling Rock beer labels?

Dear Cecil:

The other day my friends and I were sitting around knocking back a few beers when we came upon a question we realized only you can answer: why does it say "33" on the back of the labels of Rolling Rock beer?

We all know it's brewed from pure artesian well water in the glass-lined tanks of Latrobe, Pennsylvania, hometown of Arnold Palmer and all that. But what does the number mean?

I remember seeing it on the pony bottles ("a little nip") I drank in the Philadelphia of my college youth, and it's also on cans and the long-neck returnables. One of the assembled good ol' persons pointed out there's a French (formerly Vietnamese, he claims) beer called "33," which may have something to do with it. --Stephanie F., Washington, D.C.

Dear Stephanie:

I would venture to say there are still one or two people in this country who don't know about Rolling Rock beer. Too bad. It is a brave little brew with many shining qualities to recommend it. Among them:

(1) It's got a taste with some gravel to it, at least on occasion--the flavor is notoriously variable.

(2) They print the ingredients on the label, unlike most brewers. (They use water, malt, rice, corn, hops, and brewer's yeast, in case you're interested.) But most important of all:

(3) It's got an undeniable mystique, which derives mainly from the enigmatic 33.

The official explanation for the number, which is not entirely coterminous with the REAL explanation, is that 33 signifies two things: the year Prohibition was repealed (1933), and the number of words in the legend printed above the number on cans and returnable bottles. I quote:

"Rolling Rock from glass lined tanks in the Laurel Highlands. We tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you."

Now, this is a touching sentiment, and there is no question it has 33 words in it. But from the standpoint of intellectual satisfaction, it sucks.

Therefore, I hunted up James L. Tito, who at one time was chief executive officer of Latrobe Brewing, the maker of Rolling Rock beer.

Mr. Tito's family owned Latrobe from the end of Prohibition until the company was sold to an outfit in Connecticut in 1985. After some prompting, he told me the sordid truth.

Based on some old notes and discussions with family members now dead, Mr. Tito believes that putting the 33 on the label was nothing more or less than a horrible accident. It happened like this:

When the Titos decided to introduce the Rolling Rock brand around 1939, they couldn't agree on a slogan for the back of the bottle. Some favored a long one, some a short one. At length somebody came up with the 33-word beauty quoted above, and to indicate its modest length, scribbled a big "33" on it.

More argument ensued, until finally somebody said, dadgummit, boys, let's just use this one and be done with it, and sent the 33-word version off to the bottle maker.

Unfortunately, no one realized that the big 33 wasn't supposed to be part of the design until 50 jillion returnable bottles had been made up with the errant label painted permanently on their backsides. (I suppose this bespeaks a certain inattentiveness on the part of the Tito family, but I am telling you this story just as it was told to me.)

This being the Depression and all, the Titos were in no position to throw out a lot of perfectly good bottles. So they decided to make the best of things by concocting a yarn about how the 33 stood for the year Prohibition was repealed.

In retrospect, this was a stroke of marketing genius. Next to cereal boxes, beer labels are probably the most thoroughly scrutinized artifacts in all of civilization, owing to the propensity of beer drinkers to stare morosely at them at three o'clock in the morning.

The Rolling Rock "33" has baffled beer lovers for generations, and accordingly has become the stuff of barroom legend. I have letters claiming that the number has something to do with a satanic ritual, that it was the age of Christ when he died, even that it signifies the number of glass-lined tanks in the Latrobe plant.

Tres bizarre, but if M. Tito is to be believed, not quite as bizarre as the truth.

--CECIL ADAMS

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_044

That was certainly one of the highlights of the evening. Littlek was sitting across from me and I'm sure she was the one playing footsies with me under the table. If I find out it was george having a litlle fun at my expense best he be forewarned there'll be a day of reckoning. I trotted out pictures of some of my hawks so people could ooh and ahhh them. The food was prompt and palatable. Certainly glad I could make it and put some more faces to the names I know. I was especially glad to meet Noddy. She is delightful. Keep your eyes open as I'm sure more posts will be arriving.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:58 am
Sounds like I missed a good party. Things are just too hectic this time of year, both at work and personally. Glad you guys had a good time.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:34 am
we certainly did.
hey, we'll see ya at the next shindig then Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 06:49 am
It was great! We had 15 people there!

fishin' and quinn1, who helped take photos and did inexplicable things with oysters.
ebrown_p who is taller than his avatar and does not wear a dress. Not that we're judging or anything.
CrazieLady420, shortygurl and Criple Katie, all lovely young ladies from the Southern part of Mass. who apparently missed Route 3. Hmmm. Maybe someone moved Route 3 last night?
bobsmythehawk, who took up all kissing and hugging duties. Hey, he's got experience, dontcha know.
Noddy and her son, Dan, fresh and fiesty, in from Pennsylvania and running the paperback book exchange.
little_k, who listened to Bob's peanut jokes.
George, everyone's favorite directions man.
marycat and Taylor (a civilian!), who arrived later. m'cat was modelling Montessori fashions.
... and me and RP, who took the blackmail photos ....

We all had a wonderful time. Next time, maybe we'll go South of the city? Mix it up a bit? Some time when the weather is warmer and maybe we can do a weekend day so that everyone doesn't turn into a pumpkin quite so early.

A great group of people, and no one fought over the cornbread.
0 Replies

shortygurl

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
Ok so it was fun I had a few laughs and the food was good. We didn't skip route 3 CL we skipped I90 the Mass Pike We missed the tolls on the way home yay go us! Anyways it was fun except for our little adventure of gettin lost and havin crazy people give us funny looks haha. But yea Thx george for savin us!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:35 am
I am utterly Chaaaarm'd by the Boston Contingent.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:05 am
awww, sounds schmantastic. sorry to have missed you all! i hope we can turn this into a habit - with the high turnout and all!

where the heck are pictures?!?!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
it was schmantastic -- you were definitely missed!

our old-fashioned film technology won't be ready for a few weeks...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
dang. anybody had a digicam?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Pictures?
You guys took pictures?
When did that happen?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Cool, I'm glad there was such a great turnout and fun was had by all. I know better than to hold my breath for pics, but I'm looking forward to seeing them whenever they turn up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
<turning blue holding my breath for photos>
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 12:27 pm
Hey CL,

I drove Noddy and Son-of-Noddy to his place in Lowell afterwards.

AND I MISSED THE EXIT FOR 95!

Apparently I'm much better at remote directions.
(Should we move this to littlek's "Directionless" thread?)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
Confused cass must have had a camera. or kris. or is it still broken?

grumble grumble.

gimme photos. let's hear stories. it's mighty selfish of you all not to share. who ate what? who said what? did you manage to stuff bobsmyth into the lobster pool this time?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:30 pm
Dagma you wicked wench. Missed you Sweetheart. You know my very best kisses are saved for you. No, I didn't go swimming in the lobster pool. They looked a little crabby to me.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 07:48 pm
George wrote:
Hey CL,

I drove Noddy and Son-of-Noddy to his place in Lowell afterwards.

AND I MISSED THE EXIT FOR 95!

Apparently I'm much better at remote directions.
(Should we move this to littlek's "Directionless" thread?)

Laughing I think my bad directional skills just seem to rub off on people when I meet them Laughing

and there were pictures taken?? I guessed we missed that!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:37 pm
Yeah, I started snapping (pictures) a little late, oof, I expect blurry, disorganized shots. It's not so much tipsiness as fatigue. Anyway, that's my story and I'll be sticking with it. Smile

There was also a bit of wealth redistribution. I think we were all set to overpay by a bit. People ended up with, I think it was $3 back in change, something like that. Anyway, RP took mine and I suspect he bought a chicken parmesan lunch with it today.

Nobody swam with the lobsters but we did notice that they have a function room. And I just found this, they have holiday/party menus. http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/Parties_Functions_Holiday_Theme_Buffet_Menus.asp

Dag - one of their themes (for holiday food) is Christmas in Europe! Funky.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 08:46 am
CL, get lost didja?

Told ya so....told ya so...nanananana...told ya so.

I've gotten lost trying to find the highway from that area too.
0 Replies