The job of Philosophy

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

In actual math, you need to have exact definitions for the terms you use. I am pretty sure they made this clear in Calculus 1. When you study linear algebra and start to learn about vector spaces and tensors... you definitely need to understand this.

If you are going to use the word "size" in any meaningful way, you need to define it in such a way that it will be used consistently by anyone with whom you are communicating.

This why when I ask you, what is the "size" of 10, or the "size" of 10.01... you are not able to give an answer. It is nonsense question you are asking until you define the size operator.

You have done this repeatedly now

You are talking about the "size of a number" but you can't tell me the size of the number 10.5.

You are talking about whether a number is "countable" but you can't tell me if the number 10.5 is countable or not.

You are using terms that you haven't defined, and you can't even use them yourself.

If you can answer these simple questions, it would make this conversation a little less silly.

1. What is the size of the number 10?
2. What is the size of the number 10.01?
3. Is the number 1/3 countable?
4. Is the number 10.5 countable?

These are basic questions about the terms you are using. You should be able to give a clear answer to these.

Please answer these simple questions about the terms that you started using without definition.

I asked these question because you are using terms "size of a number", and "countable number" in an undefined and apparently inconsistent way. If you give me simple examples of how your terms apply with actual numbers it will help me understand what you are talking about.

If you can't tell me the size of the number 10, or if 10.5 is countable or not... then these terms are nonsense.

(I don't mind the insults... but I would still like you to answer the simple questions.)
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
10 equals 9x +1. hehehe...oh boy!
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:36 pm
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:37 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

10 equals 9x +1. hehehe...oh boy!

You are not going to answer my questions are you?

My belief is that the terms you are using are nonsense terms. They certainly aren't mathematical.

Answering these simple questions will be progress to showing that your arguments aren't mathematically meaningless.

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:37 pm
@maxdancona,
I just did!
Of course I can reformulate ad infinity depending on my frame of reference.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:39 pm
@Albuquerque,
Here are the simple questions.

Please answer them.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Told you already and please disprove. Depends on the frame of reference being infinite or finite. With a rational countable finite frame of reference the size is X. Without a finite frame of reference the size is infinite.
Now please counter so that more mathematicians hate you!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:55 pm
@Albuquerque,
Ok the frame of reference is infinite (this is another nonsense phrase you haven't defined... but I will play along with it).

Assuming an "infinite frame of reference" can you answer the questions now?

All I want is simple answers to these simple questions on these terms that you introduced.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:58 pm
@Albuquerque,
Are you saying that given an "infinite frame of reference", the size of the number 10 in infinite?

That sounds ridiculous... but OK.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:01 pm
@maxdancona,
If the frame of reference can be picked up anywhere from an infinite Set than 10 can equal any other number. Please disprove.

Let me help you with the concept of Information, Qualia, and Sets:
I am not on Cantors side here because Information requires Qualia not quantity in abstract.
THAT IS TO MEAN FOR THE FIRST MEASURE OF QUANTITY YOU NEED FIRST 2 QUALIA
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:02 pm
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
If the frame of reference can be picked up anywhere from an infinite Set than 10 can equal any other number. Please disprove.

10 can equal any other number?

I can't disprove that. It is nonsense. You are just stringing words together no with no reason.

You are saying that 10 equals 6 and you want me to "disprove" that? I don't even know where to start.

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Lets see if you understand Information and equivalence!

10 of what? Equals to 6 of what? Please note that without establishing a relation between distinct things you don't start to have ANY NUMBER!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:23 pm
@Albuquerque,
You said that numbers have a size.

I asked what is the size of the number 10?

You have yet to answer.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:24 pm
@Albuquerque,
Depending on the regula you can meat any number with another number given Infinity.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Yeah the difference between you and me and it must be a very big number is that you consume definitions while I bother to inquire and question them to their very limit or my limit!

PS - And that is why this thread exists and makes sense on A2K.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:26 pm
@Albuquerque,
I see what is happening here. Your basic problem remains the same... you are confusing numbers with sets.

Then you are reading Wikipedia pages and watching youtube videos on number theory. Your basic confusing between numbers and sets is hindering your ability to even understand these videos.

Of course, learning mathematics is not about reading Wikipedia articles or youtube videos. It is about actually studying. When you study mathematics you have to have the practice to actually solves mathematical problems and to get feedback from professors and peers.

When you state that number 10 is equal to the number 6 ... you should realize that there is a problem in your reasoning.

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:30 pm
@maxdancona,
And there we go again...you defaulted to your usual argument ad authority in the face of a video that just disproved what you just said! You either didn't watched it or you didn't understood it. I bet on 2 twice as much I bet on 1! Given that 1 equals X, Hehehe!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:44 pm
@Albuquerque,
Yes, I am absolutely making an argument ad authority. You don't learn mathematics based on watching youtube videos... especially if you aren't willing to change your understanding when you are wrong.

I am actually making three arguments.

1. People who have studied mathematics understand the subject better than people who base their understanding on youtube videos (this is argument ad authority). Studying mathematics means lots of time learning, solving problems and getting feedback from professors and peers.

2. You are showing a basic misunderstand of the difference between numbers and sets (this is an argument of you clearly not understanding).

3. You are stating that the number 10 is equal to the number 6. (this is an argument of you having a clear contradiction in your reasoning and still being unwilling to change your mind).
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 08:21 pm
@maxdancona,
1 - 10 itself is equal to any number with no referential scale. It INFORMS nothing, it is a name!
2 - 10 of X is equal to 10 of X or 9+1 of X and so on. It Informs SET and subset arrangements.
3 -- 10 of X can equal 6 of Y if it is the case that they share a property, say Z.

For instance lets assume 10 packs of cotton "weight" the same as 6 oranges. In this case and with the reference being mass 10 = 6 and 6 = 10.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 08:27 pm
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
10 itself is equal to any number with no referential scale.

You are being silly.