The job of Philosophy

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2020 11:25 pm
How much Philosophy is going on here eh? The nuance and the irony is staggering!

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2020 08:49 am
Wow! So you have gone to google, and you have found hours and hours of weird Philosophical musings on the question of "Whether mathematics is invented or discovered"?

The Question is So What? This question might be interesting, but it is completely irrelevant to what mathematicians actually do. Most Mathematicians don't care and don't need to care.

Without this philsophical questions, mathematics finds cures for diseases, makes airplanes fly, runs your computer, keeps the economy going... almost every aspect of modern life is controlled by the human understanding of mathematics. No one needs to care about the philosophy.

There exact one place that I can think of where this question matters. That is the search for extraterrestrial life. In the 1970s we sent interstellar spacecraft and wanted to send a message to whatever sentient life found this record of humanity. Obviously you can't say "Hello Aliens... how are you?".

So we made some assumptions that any sentient species that made it to space would understand the same mathematics. And so we created sequences that Human Mathematicians assumed that Alien Mathematicians would look for.... the prime numbers was one idea. When we listen for Alien messages from space, these are the patterns we are looking for.

Of course, in this case the assumption is that mathematics is not human but can form a universal language that any species at our level of advancement or higher would understand.

This is the only case I can think of where this philosophical musing is of any consequence. Of course, when we meet an actual alien... this will become a scientific question and the philosophical musings will be even more meaningless.
htam9876

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2020 05:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh Dear, what piggy suggested ahead was the situation in the football gym rather than the situation on the Big Rest bed.
Did you hear that a fat lady kicked her husband in the butt? Why?
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2020 07:36 pm
@maxdancona,
As usual you missed the point Max and no it is not about whether maths is invented or discovered. And you know what, I will just leave ya in the dark because it gives me a sort of guilty pleasure that some few souls know exactly what was the point but you and the likes will never guess it. Aux revoirs mon ami! Wink

I can already picture your reply...
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2020 08:20 pm
@Albuquerque,
Max: Philosophy is irrelevant to Physicists or Mathematicians when doing Physics or Mathematics.

Albuquerque: You missed the point. I will just "leave ya in the dark".

I guess I am OK with being in the dark with something that is irrelevant. It seems like we have reached a point that we are both comfortable.

Albuquerque

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2020 09:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Go back and watch the videos in slow motion and do some rewinding if needed be Max and than check back on what is relevant and not relevant. Hope that helps mate! Laughing
0 Replies

crackedhead

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 12:07 am
Seriously...philosophy is the subjective and objective "part of us" trying to explain the subjective and objective "part of us". I think it's time for everyone to admit that we exist in both a subject and objective reality where things are real outside of us just as much as they are real inside of us. Learning is a good example. We learn outside of ourselves just as much as we learn inside of ourselves. Or we can keep saying reality is nothing but a personal construct, or a for sure solid objective thing, or a multiverse, or God's creation. Either way we make the truth unknowable thanks to the "part of us."
htam9876

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 08:23 am
@crackedhead,
No bad comment.
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 05:53 pm
The only "truth" is "touching the elephant".
Subjective + objective.
Touchy and feely.
crackedhead

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 09:38 pm
@htam9876,
Touchy and feely, really and really.
0 Replies

htam9876

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 06:53 pm
Piggy doesn’t know when the local dark lords of the Jiangmen city will shout: “excute!”, and then, piggy disappears forever in this cosmos (either be murdered disguisedly or confined again as a half – self payment watchman in one of their small business or isolated entirely from the outside world). Really and really. Piggy is sure.
Subjectively, it’s reasonable because it is in conformity with the interest of their cabal.
Objectively, 给他江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团及新会一中九一四班谁谁一个超文革赛阎王光荣称号快快全世界全宇宙打靶啦。当今时代,全世界没有什么人能够值得如此殊荣。呵呵
No matter what happens, guys go ahead, touchy and feely.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 03:19 pm
Two smart guys at the left side from the viewer POV one is a Philosopher the other a Scientist. You can neglect the other two participants intellectually they don't say much. The interest in this talk goes well beyond the topic at hand on which I stand with epiphenomenal side. The confrontation between smart and dumb people is a feast for the eyes even if the talk is now a bit dated. Of all the five present the interviewer is beyond any hope.
Anyway enough with snide remarks, take a look:
maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 05:47 pm
@Albuquerque,
How do you judge smartness? Is there anyone who you consider "smart" who disagrees with you?

(That could be me, I guess).
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 05:56 pm
@maxdancona,
I judge smartness the same you do and everyone else's. The degree of accurate educated guessing involved is what varies from person to person. I tossed up my 2 cents on that matter and I am pretty sure my "target market" knows very well why I made that judgement, as for you well, feel free to agree or disagree at will. It is not my business.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2020 07:46 am
@Albuquerque,
Made it halfway through.

Right about the interviewer. Eue..
htam9876

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2020 09:59 pm
Anyone disagrees that piggy got no degree in university? haha
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:01 am
@htam9876,
If you don't have a degree and place symbolic importance on the certification buy one they are donkey cheap these days...start with an English degree as one might help in making sense of what you attempt to write, god knows I could use one to. If that is not enough do Literature and creative writing or try stand up comedy if you have the genes for it which is highly unlikely.

By the way if you have something of value and meaning to contribute feel free to post and comment. I would love to analyse your alien thought process.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:13 am
@Leadfoot,
The interviewer looks like an open mouth fish half of the time when he is trying to catch up with the big boys, on the other half he is just straight obnoxious and toxic. I've had great entertainment from the all shebang specially when one sees eminent scientists trumping in their own naive philosophical preconceptions without a clue!
You see it is exactly at that moment that you realize the difference between being able to apply a formula, the scientific method, and reasoning properly.
Currently there is an AI program doing just that applying the scientific method and making some conclusions...the hard part are the initial assertions and axioms.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:13 am
To counter Cantor distinct infinities one just needs to think of fractals on which bigger and smaller make no sense as they loop around. infinity can be made with a function of loops with just X plus X. Regarding information the sequence 1+1+1+... is poor!
On the other hand when you step on QUALITATIVE INFINITY you step on Metaphysics and ALIENATION as NO CONNECTION exists between Qualia. You just don't throw away Monism but you throw it away ad infinitum.
As for the Continuum hypotheses what can we say but be baffled that one can name things that we cannot count nor sequence at any step. What is next to X that is nowhere to be placed?

People are stupid indeed and I mean we all as a species are dumb as F, monkeys everywhere!

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 03:12 am
The definition of Infinity or infinitesimal is not everywhere, but nowhere!
Only the finite (connected) and the distinct (Qualia/Phenomena) can be placed counted and accounted, or bet put, United!
0 Replies