The job of Philosophy

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 04:28 am
If the last days were not shortened, we'd all lose our ****.
htam9876

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 05:20 am
@Albuquerque,
Piggy was very sick in university and had to quit, otherwise, perhaps I should get Master degree in physics 20 years ago.
Piggy has a foreign language bar in the languages forum. Anyone is ppreciated to help me to win the English degree. Thank you.
Have a lovely weekend, guys.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 06:43 am
@htam9876,
Yay congratz for your Masters 20 year ago, you are now a certified Sapiens! Do you have glasses and a white coat buddy? Don't forget the whole pack, the full set of authority to make sense under the public eye, people love white coats!
Lovely day to you to! Wink
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 07:16 am
@Leadfoot,
En passent let me just comment that gives me a particular guilty pleasure to see my past 2 posts on Philosophy of Maths being voted to zero when I am fully aware of they intrinsic value even if posted in the most informal way. They are no less then unique and dead on the spot correct! Food for thought for a smart Mathematician or an expert on Set Theory or Geometry! Just don't forget I did first here on A2K! Wink
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 10:10 am
@Albuquerque,
I like Albert E.'s take on math. It’s only good for convincing yourself and others of what you understand intuitively.
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think Ive overshot my number of times to agree with max so Ill just ask Albikoikee'What is it that makes a Philosopher needed i science inquiry , or discovery?

I can see some lawyers and a philosopher as members of a select group to assist in developing rules for a discovery's use (like the A Bomb).
But anything else?

Im highly doubtful that even multidisciplanary, and interdisciplanary investigations can use the assistance of one.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I like Albert E.'s take on math. It’s only good for convincing yourself and others of what you understand intuitively.

I think you have invented a fictional Albert E.

(Aren't you one of the people who reject Einstein's work on Relativity?)
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:22 pm
@farmerman,
If you need to ask...well I will open an exception for you because I really do like you and you are a nice person.
First you don't need a Philosopher, you need to be the Philosopher and hopefully one that is good at it. That is to formulate good inquiry from axioms to ideas on how to solve what you have in the frontier of your knowledge and specially of your languaging conceptual boundaries.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:39 pm
@Albuquerque,
...without Philosophy a bot can do better more accurate Science than you ever will Farma!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 01:58 pm
...to keep pressing the topic of Maths I will ask from anyone around how did they arrive at any apparently finite irrational number, any good explanations around eh?
...say the number 1.7.4.1 what is its size, finite or infinite? And where is it located, what is the previous and next number to it?
More importantly, how much information does it carry?
Anyone care to advance a guess?
Naming something has a number is not the same as proving it has the characteristics of being a number! The conditions are neither satisfied nor met!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:34 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

...to keep pressing the topic of Maths I will ask from anyone around how did they arrive at any apparently finite irrational number, any good explanations around eh?
...say the number 1.7.4.1 what is its size, finite or infinite? And where is it located, what is the previous and next number to it?
More importantly, how much information does it carry?
Anyone care to advance a guess?
Naming something has a number is not the same as proving it has the characteristics of being a number! The conditions are neither satisfied nor met!

You are writing this nonsense on a digital computer.

I find this funny. You are using a highly mathematical technology to rant about how math isn't real.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:36 pm
@maxdancona,
You are really I mean really really dumb!
Not only did you miss my point but you failed at basic reading!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:37 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

You are really I mean really really dumb!
Not only did you miss my point but you failed at basic reading!

Philosophers here tend to lapse into juvenile name calling. I would think that something that is designed to study ethics and higher living would produce better behavior from its disciples.

If the study of philosophy has any value, we should see it in how you act towards other people.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:39 pm
@maxdancona,
My point was against Infinity not in favour and please do answer the questions in that post if you can understand them at least vaguely!
Now ANSWER THEM or just get the frack out of my thread idiot!!!
Go eat a banana or something mkay? Do your monkey dance elsewhere, I don't have time nor patience for blunt stupidity right now!
Who ever gave you a degree at college should be court martial!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:45 pm
@Albuquerque,
Obviously anything (be it a number or a word) exists in a context. The format of the number you provided without context is an interest one, it is in the form of an IP address.

To answer your question, an IP address is finite. There is actually a problem because this form of IP address has a finite number of possibilities, and we now have more devices then numbers. We have solved this problem by inventing IP6 address (which have a great deal more numbers although still finite).

You can ask if you IP address is real... let me say this.

If I have your IP address I know what computer you are connecting from. I know your ISP. I can very likely (after I have skirted a few security problems) get another set of numbers... your longitude and latitude.

And of course, longitude and latitude are actually quite useful, I they represent an actual spot on the planet. If I have these number, I can very likely get a picture of your house in a matter of seconds.

(To answer the rest of your silly questions, the next number is 1.7.4.2 and the previous one is 1.7.4.1).
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:

Max replied:
I think you have invented a fictional Albert E.

(Aren't you one of the people who reject Einstein's work on Relativity?)

No and No.
That wasn’t a direct quote but are you willing to bet on whether Albert Einstein expressed that belief many times? I get to take ‘ yes he did ' side of course.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:49 pm
Words are a representation of reality.

Numbers are a representation of reality. The advantage of numbers is that they are precise, a word can have multiple meaning... a number can be exact and unambiguous.
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Holly ****!!!
What is the size of an irrational number? Do you understand the question???
Finite or infinite? Answer!
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

That wasn’t a direct quote but are you willing to bet on whether Albert Einstein expressed that belief many times? I get to take ‘ yes he did ' side of course.

I think you are making this up.

I have studied Einstein... including his General Theory of Relativity. If you think that is at all "intuitive" you are nuts.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2020 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Then bet or STFU.
0 Replies