What's the likelihood of being discovered online?

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 01:52 am
Hi. I am just curious about this. If you're an animator, fine artist, voice actor, writer, cartoonist, game maker, etc., what is the likelihood of getting a job working in animation, comics, game design, etc., respectively, because your work was discovered online?

I recall watching a video of a demo reel that some animator produced and showcased on YouTube that looked and sounded like an actual episode of Bob's Burgers, and that person went on to work with the team that produces Bob's Burgers, if I am not mistaken.

I read somewhere there was an impressionist imitating Bea Arthur in videos on YouTube, and the team behind The Amazing World of Gumball liked his impressions so much they recruited him to voice the Dorothy Zbornak analogue in their Golden Girls-themed parody episode.

I'd like to think other people get discovered from showcasing stuff on YouTube and other web sharing sites (Dailymotion, Metacafe, etc.) and on social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc.), and on other online platforms, like artist/writer community sites like DeviantArt.com, who have gone on to work professionally in animation, comics, game design, etc. because companies recruited them for employment, but I don't know of any such accounts off-hand.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 12,114 • Replies: 86

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 04:07 am
@JGoldman10,
In order to be discovered you have to produce something more than a couple of sketches.
Teufel

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 06:02 am
@JGoldman10,
Many, many years ago I found myself in a hole in a jungle ..... Bullets were flying about thick and fast. The guy next to me, maybe a metre away, he caught one in the head ... instantly dead as a doornail. That is the luck of the draw, it could have been me but it wasn't. [Gallic shrug] ... Just because something happens to someone else, it means nothing - Nothing, zero, zilch.

People who get miraculously 'discovered' are very, very few and far between ... People who work their ass off to get discovered is the majority. Sitting in your Mom's basement being slightly weird, it is highly unlikely anyone will discover you in anyway whatsoever.

A mentor which I had when I was a young man used to say "Luck is what one works for; the harder one works at something, the luckier one will get"

As he was a multi millionaire of some note ... maybe take the advice .... just as I did.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 08:32 am
@Teufel,
Lady, you know nothing about my living arrangements. I don't live in my mom's basement. I have my own bedroom. My brother had his own room before he moved to stay with my sister and nephew.

My mother is away in rehab and she's been away since November 2019.
I pay my own bills and pay for personal living expenses.

I don't know where the stereotype originated but I "don't live in my mother's basement". I haven't lived lived in my parents' basement in years. I did actually live in my parents' basement back when I was art school, but that was over 2 decades ago.

I do plan on getting my own animations and comics produced and showcased and monetized online eventually. I was talking being discovered online after this.

It had been difficult for me focusing on doing this or on having any kind of pro career going dealing with my mother and brother. My dad passed years ago, about a month after 9/11. I
should have had my old place a long time ago but that's another story.

I can focus on getting a career going now that my brother is gone. I don't have to help take care of him. I don't have to help take care of my mother either.

I should have had at least one cartoon and/or comics series going by now, but I didn't think I was going to be subject to a whole bunch of changes living at home.

I have an animation degree but the only thing I have to show for my work is a few cartoon images I made that are showcased in a few online photo albums. I have one cartoon piece I posted on Deviantart and on Newgrounds.

I would like to further my training so I can learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 02:18 pm
@izzythepush,
I got a job doing cartoons for Organic Gardening and several local newspapers that were part of a regional syndicate. It was easy getting discovered. Id submit a cartoon or two every week while I was working a full tim job. Humor i a bitch especilly if you aint funny. Id work my own ass off and after a year or so I got my turn. I lasted three yers and the money was good and it was fun and the ideas, The ideas are all out there, your head run into em, you really dont think em up. I did local political cartoons and the news ppapers got all kinds of hate mail and love mail because of ME. I quit when I got fired for creaming all over the publiahers business policy in a kind of Arthurian Fashion.

I was better at geochemistry I guess.

Luck has absolutely a lot to do with it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2020 05:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
You run a greater chance of being struck by lightning, eaten by a shark or having sex.

Until you complete a project, there is no reason to drift away deeper into fantasy land.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 12:58 am
Izzy is right. If I want to be discovered online I have to go beyond showcasing (preliminary) character stills and character studies I made online and having a preliminary comic book story I wrote and illustrated copyrighted with the Library of Congress.

I've been practicing vocal characterizations and I have some vocal characterization clips I recorded that I'm going to upload to Vocaroo. I want to know what others think.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 06:23 am
@JGoldman10,
Pretty low, overall.

There are millions of independent artists, and only so many jobs available in the animation industry.

Only some of the independent artists have a following of sorts, and only a few of them end up working in a major studio.

You only hear of the success stories (which are few to begin with).

I should mention that in the event you do get discovered, some people may take issue with some of your homophobic comments once they are given more public attention, which could derail your career before it begins.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 06:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
What about jobs in the comics industry? Not all indie artists are animators. What about indie people who write animation and/or comics?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 06:43 am
@Rebelofnj,
What about being noticed if you want to be a voice actor?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 06:54 am
@JGoldman10,
Just replace "animation industry " with "comics industry".

Also, some of your comments regarding race and LGBT may prevent you from getting discovered as most major studios and companies try to be more open minded.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:00 am
@Rebelofnj,
What about being noticed if you want to be a voice actor?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:01 am
@Rebelofnj,
I'm for cultural diversity. I've complained about lack of it.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:02 am
@Rebelofnj,
How often do comics and animation writers get noticed?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:04 am
@JGoldman10,
Considering how you keep asking about how to be trained I’d say not many.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:04 am
@izzythepush,
I said I want to further my training. I want to get training to learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally. Not many what?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:05 am
@JGoldman10,
Just replace "comics industry" with "voice acting industry".

You have been less accepting of LGBT people, while major companies are more accepting, either because of morals or because it is good for business.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:08 am
@Rebelofnj,
You're not answering the question. Do comics and animation writers get noticed more or less than, or about the same as comics and animation artists?

Storytelling is a big part of producing animation and comics.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:12 am
@JGoldman10,
Replace "artists" with "writers" from my original response.

Are you unable to apply my response for different situations? Did you really need me to write my response multiple times for slightly different scenarios?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 07:13 am
This is probably a silly-sounding question. Are voice over actors considered part of the animation industry? Their line of work is not limited to voicing characters in cartoons.

Or is voice over or voice acting considered a separate industry?
0 Replies