What's the likelihood of being discovered online?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:12 am
@JGoldman10,
More bigotry.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:15 am
@JGoldman10,
If you don't know the answer to my question about voice acting/voice over being a separate industry or not I'll ask on Yahoo! Answers and on the Dictionary.com Forums.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don't want to be discovered by a major company and end up having to compromise being a good Christian to go work for them.

I don't know exactly how much clout I would have as a creator once my material became property of that company.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:26 am
@JGoldman10,
You almost did compromise when you tried to work for DC Comics, a company which at that point had magic and LGBT characters (and that one magical LGBT character) in their comics.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:27 am
@Rebelofnj,
So people like the guy who created Foamy the Squirrel online cartoon series, and people like Ixapter, Verbalase, and other online indie animation and comics people have relatively small cult followings online even though some of these people have showcased their stuff in videos which have generated at least 1 million views?

Verbalase has the series Cartoon Beatbox Battles on YouTube. All the episodes of his cartoon series have generated at least a million views each. His series is very popular on YouTube.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
LGBTQIA representation wasn't a big issue yet.

I don't think LGBTQIA representation was a big issue in entertainment until Obama came along and gave the LGBTQIA community a voice.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:34 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

You almost did compromise when you tried to work for DC Comics, a company which at that point had magic and LGBT characters (and that one magical LGBT character) in their comics.

What "magical LGBT character"?
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Not true at all.

Some people point to the 1997 episode of the sitcom Ellen, where the main character, and actress Ellen DeGeneres, came out as gay, as the turning point for LGBT representation in TV.

Quote:
The Puppy Episode" was the highest-rated episode ever of Ellen, drawing some 42 million viewers.[20] "The Puppy Episode" won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series and a second for Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing.[21] The episode won a Peabody Award[22] and DeGeneres won a GLAAD Media Award in 1998.[2] Show character Ellen Morgan's coming out has been described as "the most hyped, anticipated, and possibly influential gay moment on television".[23]

GLAAD credits Ellen with paving the way for such LGBT-themed programming as Will and Grace, The L Word, and Ugly Betty and it has been suggested that Ellen and these other series presenting LGBT characters have helped to reduce societal prejudice against LGBT people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppy_Episode
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:37 am
@JGoldman10,
Extraño, DC Comics' first openly gay superhero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra%C3%B1o
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:51 am
@JGoldman10,
Okay Rebel, but you didn't answer this:

JGoldman10 wrote:

So people like the guy who created Foamy the Squirrel online cartoon series, and people like Ixapter, Verbalase, and other online indie animation and comics people have relatively small cult followings online even though some of these people have showcased their stuff in videos which have generated at least 1 million views?

Verbalase has the series Cartoon Beatbox Battles on YouTube. All the episodes of his cartoon series have generated at least a million views each. His series is very popular on YouTube.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:56 am
@JGoldman10,
More than enough YouTube channels have videos with 1 million.

There are many channels like Cocomelon and Titi Toys that have high view counts because kids watch them over and over.

Despite the high view counts, they are relatively obscure compared to the shows produced by major companies.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 08:59 am
@Rebelofnj,
But do they have relatively small cult followings despite having videos with at least 1 million viewcounts?

Just because something is popular online does not mean it's popular outside the internet.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 09:01 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 09:03 am
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you for answering the question. An online video can have at least 10 million views, that doesn't mean it's popular outside the internet.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 09:04 am
@JGoldman10,
You were told that many times over the years, but you keep forgetting.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 09:04 am
@Rebelofnj,
A million views minimum for an online video, imo, is enough to make decent money with.

I just don't like the fact YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe and presumably other video sharing sites want to make people wait until they reach certain criteria before monetizing their videos.

I wonder if social media sites and other online video platforms are set up like that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 10:29 am
@Rebelofnj,
Like I said, better late than never. At least I know what I want to do with the toons and comics I want to produce.

I don't have to work for a studio to write and/or produce animation, and/or do do voice work, and I don't have to work for a publisher to write and/or produce comics.

I think having at least one online cartoon and/or comics series going is easier than working for somebody. At least I can be my own boss without having to deal with stuff like fighting for ownership rights and clout.

I don't want to have to move just to produce animation and/or comics for a living.

Having an online cartoon and/or comics series going is better than nothing. At least I'll have a career.

Game show host Monty Hall once said he became an overnight sensation but it took him 20 years to get there.

I don't I'd mind being "internet famous". I'm more interested in making good money with my toons and comics.

I want to hurry up and get the training I need and want to learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 10:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
I thought about moving to Hollywood and getting a job in animation working for Warner Bros., Disney, or some other big-name Hollywood studio, but I'm not interested in moving.

I'm not interested in moving to NYC to be close to Marvel Comics either, or to L.A. to be close to DC Comics since they moved out of NYC either. Or moving to NYC to be close to any comics publisher in NYC.

What prompted DC Comics to move out of NYC to L.A. to be closer to WB anyway? I know WB is DC's parent company but DC Comics HQ was in NYC for decades.

How come Marvel Comics HQ doesn't follow suit and move to L.A. to be closer to Disney?

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 10:45 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Like I said, better late than never. At least I know what I want to do with the toons and comics I want to produce.

I don't have to work for a studio to write and/or produce animation, and/or do do voice work, and I don't have to work for a publisher to write and/or produce comics.

I think having at least one online cartoon and/or comics series going is easier than working for somebody. At least I can be my own boss without having to deal with stuff like fighting for ownership rights and clout.

I don't want to have to move just to produce animation and/or comics for a living.

Having an online cartoon and/or comics series going is better than nothing. At least I'll have a career.

Game show host Monty Hall once said he became an overnight sensation but it took him 20 years to get there.

I don't think I'd mind being "internet famous". I'm more interested in making good money with my toons and comics.

I want to hurry up and get the training I need and want to learn how to voice act professionally and produce comics professionally.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2020 10:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
If a person establishes their own animation studio and/or comic publishing company and they showcase their works online, do you still think the chance of them being discovered online by any major companies - major animation studios and/or major comic publishers, etc. - is pretty low?