Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:11 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 26
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:17 pm
Its wonderful when people with enough resources can entertain themselves by such noble undertakings. I predict an active and wildly successful free market will spring up at the margins of his town and U.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:18 pm
Oooh.

This is what people reacted to with Laurent (deaf/ signing town), and I still think it's different because of specific language isssues. But it's certainly an idea that is worrisome in its implications -- great, then there will be the Protestant town, and the Muslim town, and the Mormon town... oh, wait...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:24 pm
Then theres always
Lonely Town
SING IT EDGAR
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:27 pm
Why not? There are already plenty of equally monotone alternative versions out there. None will last in those singular forms, due to the variability and obstinacy of human nature - as has already been noted.

It won't likely be worse than the euphemism-laden, sappy uniformity of political correctitude that had swept through our society, but which now, happily seems to be fading (except in certain blue state citadels.).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Oh yeah, we'll erect a shining city on the hill in the wilderness . . . no, wait, they ended up hanging people as witches . . . lessee . . . oh yeah, like the Shakers, who moved from England to New York . . . oh yeah, their community was dedicated to celibacy, and they literally died out . . . gotta be somethin' . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:31 pm
i swear to god, george, you're turnin' into a one trick pony . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
shake shake the devil outta me
shake shake shake for Sister anna Lee.
They kicked us outta Hancock an Mt Lebanon we did flee
Till we all jess settled in at
good ole Sabbathdee

"It won't likely be worse than the euphemism-laden, sappy uniformity of political correctitude that had swept through our society, but which now, happily seems to be fading (except in certain blue state citadels.)."
OOpe, Here was a well scroben line er three
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
They did indeed hang a few "witches" -- but excesses of this kind happened everywhere. A few generations earlier Cromwell was exterminating villages in Ireland, and England was beset by a Calvinisyt Reign of Terror. Every nation in Europe (and beyond) experienced as much or worse. Happily wise students of history don't make (or imply) sweeping judgements based only on these things. Why do you?

Certainly there were other enduring and particularly meritorious political, social, and economic achievments of the Puritans of New England that make them deserving of a better judgement than yours.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:42 pm
I would love to own a liquor store at the perimeter of said town. Bet I would get rich.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Certainly there were other enduring and particularly meritorious political, social, and economic achievments of the Puritans of New England that make them deserving of a better judgement than yours.

I'd e-mail you a sense of humor if i thought it would take . . . but i doubt it would.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
Good idea, EB . . . make sure those stores are well-stocked with rolling papers . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
Thats the entire point that Mr Pizza guy misses. Sooner or later hes gonna run out of zoning options from "by rights" acquisitions.

I wanna be a student at "SAY WHAT?" University
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
Mama mia, do you know that hell is a sponsored link? Wonder what the opposition has to offer to Ave Maria
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'd e-mail you a sense of humor if i thought it would take . . . but i doubt it would.

My impression is your concept of humor is a bit vinegary -- not paricularly to my taste. Mockery and sarcasm can indeed be humorous, but they don't constitute the greatest, or the best part of humor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:56 pm
You're a man of quite the intellectual calibre, george . . . large bore, i'd say . . .

How very pompous of you. I grow sick of your fishwife carping on everything i write. Do us both a favor and keep your thoughts on what i write to your embittered, partisan self, and i promise i'll never again comment on your self-righteous hogwash . . . deal?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:09 pm
Setanta,
I think you have it backwards. On this thread and others here it is you who have done the "carping" in response to posts of mine not directly addressed to you, OK by me if you do it -- the site is all about free expression. However it is generally considered sporting to be able to take a fraction of what you give in such abundance.

Evidentky I rub you the wrong way in some areas, I regret that, but there is nothing I can (or am inclined to) do about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:17 pm
Allow me to clear something up for you . . . on serious topics i give and take as does everyone else. When i respond to something with an absurdity however, although i recognize that the dull-witted may not immediately recognize it as such, when they do, they might consider that i had not been deploying the full range of my knowledge. As it pertains to the "godly republic in the wilderness" envisioned by the Puritans who chartered the Massachusetts Bay Company and sent out John Winthrop with all the Selectmen of the Company and the Company Charter, i'll warrant i am better informed than you are. In fact, it has been my experience of your almost exclusively partisan-motivated posts at this site that you are either conveniently ignorant of the full background of the historical events on which you comment, or simply don't care as long as you can ride your one trick pony, "the liberal secular conspiracy."

Your opinion of my sense of humor is a matter of indifference to me. Your often ill-informed or disingenuous attempts to discredit my serious posts don't rub me the wrong way, they move me to point out how very little you either know of the subjects under discussion, or of how little you are willing to admit so as to preserve your partisan point of view. When the debate is serious, and especially when it is heated, it doesn't much matter to whom a post was addressed.

When people are indulging a little fun, and you come along with a self-righteous piece of tripe such as you posted here, however, you just show yourself as having all the sour-pussed characteristics with which the Puritans were unjustifiably stereotyped. You bring home with a vengeance Mencken's witty mot on Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy.

In short, i don't value your opinion in serious matters, and am even less likely to care to hear it when it is a matter of a humorous remark.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
Well I'd certainly like another little nipper of brandy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
Well, I'm glad (I guess) that you finally got all that off your chest. Hope you feel better now.

I believe Monaghan is a rather easy target and made the serious point that there are equivalent, but less evident things out there. I believe that was an appropriate supplement to Dys' post which opened the thread.

You tried to take things in a different direction. Again OK by me - that is your right, but recognize that mine is no less.

I'll continue to ignore the name-calling and boasting. I believe you seriously demean yourself in doing it. That's schoolboy stuff, and you should rise above it.
0 Replies