I'm going bonkers. What does your gut say (gender prediction

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:07 am
Well, I was the world's happiest pregnant person, bar none. I woke up ecstatic every day for 9.5 months. I loved every minute of it and was never anxious for the baby to come, because I knew that's when the work would start!

I'd fade out in meetings and conversations because the baby moved, and nothing anybody had to say was nearly as fascinating as that. My hair got thicker, my skin cleared up, and my boobs got huge. (Hubby LOVED it! So did I!) I have never felt sexier.

I ate whatever I felt like and didn't have any problems with spicy foods at all. I gained 45 lbs., but lost it all and more by the time the baby was a month old, due to breastfeeding.

Oh, and I never got a black line, and I had a 10 lb. 1 oz. boy. Got lots of stretch marks, but who cares. I was almost 40 anyway. Besides, this is what our bodies are made to do. I felt such a strong connection with nature, with the whole cosmos, I can't even describe it.

And I've never been treated better in my life. It was even better than being engaged. Strangers became mushy around me, everyone took care of everything for me. I walked in stores and clerks offered to get me a drink of water, bring things to me. "Here, sit down!" they kept saying. I felt like royalty. I can see why some uneducated young girls keep getting pregnant. It's the highest social status they'll ever achieve.

As for intuition...I was dead-on certain that it was a girl the whole time I carried him. Had dreams about it and everything. Couldn't do the amnio, because the placenta grew all the way across the front and there was no safe place to put the needle in. (It happens in about 5% of cases, is quite alright.) And we had a very early ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy was viable (I'd had two miscarriages.) It was too early to determine sex, and our insurance wouldn't pay for a second ultrasound unless there were problems. Which there never were. So we had to wait until the baby was born to find out.

A very wise older friend told me that parents should always hope for a child of the opposite sex. Girls go through a bad period (sometimes years) with their mothers, but Daddy is always special to a daughter. Likewise, boys go through tough periods with their fathers, but Mom is always special. I've seen the truth to it. Now I'm VERY glad I had a boy.

Pregnancy is The Great Adventure. If you decide it's a great thing, you'll have a wonderful time with it. If you decide it's a huge bother, you'll hate it. (I'd choose the former.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:18 am
Funny Eve, I got a black line, but did not get stretch marks and was almost 40 too. The black line is long gone. I gained 25 for the first and 30 for the second and lost more than 30 pounds after the second, but it took me longer than a month and I breast feed too.

Not always true about the opposite sex. I was always close to my mom. Only had a difficult time (and it wasn't that difficult) for less than a year. That was when I was transiting from high school - need family all the time - to college independence.

Seeing I had all brothers, I sort of wanted a boy. I am used to boys, get along better with boys, was a tom boy and what the heck do you do with a girl any way. Now that I have two girls I love them to death and would not even dream of having it any other way.

The way I look at it, whatever sex you have, is what is destined for you and will work best for you.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
Well, I definitely am hoping for a real easy pregnancy! Things with me though are RARELY in my favor when it comes to medical. I'm already a high risk pregnancy since I have 1 kidney and it's not in the best shape.

I've been told not to exercise AT ALL during my pregnancy, which I can tell is bringing me down. I feel SO sluggish. Ever in front of a really slow person and you bite your tongue and try to be patient? I'm that person now. I "waddle" ...and it's because my back hurts sooooooooooooooo much. I've always heard tall folks have more back pains, but then again... seems like everyone I know has them. Laughing Laughing Laughing

My ribcage seems to be expanding too. I'm ALWAYS breathless.

Here's a pic of me that I took just now. I didn't use img tags because I figured some people had no interest in looking at my stomach. ha. ...but this thread seemed to make it appropriate. My husband noticed that I was developing those varicose veins. I darkened the area it was in, so they would show up more.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/Ki-bbum/PG/13-6wks.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
I'd disagree with the decision thing, too -- I'd been trying for a year and was absolutely THRILLED when I found out I was pregnant, and was ready to be thrilled with the experience. Then I was laid low by allday sickness (not morning sickness).

From the many people I've spoken to about this, there are a wide range of experiences, for a wide range of reasons, ranging from genetics to work environment to available healthcare and on. My particular brand of work definitely had a lot to do with it -- pregnancy and extremely stressful work with a huge amount of responsibility don't mix very well. If I was terribly sick, that was just too bad -- there was nobody else that could take over what I was doing, and what I was doing absolutely had to be done.

Then by the time I was done working, it was to move a few thousand miles away at 7 months pregnant and start anew in a place where I knew nobody (plus leaving the agency that I created from scratch, all of my friends, coworkers, clients, etc.), plus all of the usual stressors of the last trimester.

From what I remember, things are much more laid-back for you, Joah, and I bet it will go well. Just, I remember getting really annoyed with all of the "pregnancy is so wonderful!!" stuff when I was going through it and parts were wonderful, but parts really weren't. In talking to people since, I've found that both parts of that experience are very common -- not-wonderfulness, and feeling that there's something wrong with feeling that not-wonderfulness. So just wanted to get that out there.

Still utterly completely 100% worth it, of course.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
I have an appointment at 2 p.m. (it's now 12:40 p.m.)

I think they'll be testing for down syndrome and stuff, but I'm not sure. Sucks when you know you're going and they're not doing an ultrasound. bahhh.

I'll be 14 wks tomorrow. Smile

P.S. I hope whatever test they do, it doesn't hurt!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
Ova are ova. Sperm come in two varities: XX and XY.

Two hallowed old wives tales.

Tie your wedding ring on a piece of thread and give the thread end to your husband.

Lie down and have your husband position your ring over your abdomen.
Wait until he becomes a bit trembly and the ring will start to move.

If it swings back and forth, the baby will be a boy.
If it swings in a circle, the baby will be a girl.

OR

Wrap a needle in a piece of tissue paper. Put the wrapped needle on your bare abdomen and ask your husband to pick it up by one end.

If he picks the pointed end, you're having a boy.
If he picks the eye end, the baby is a girl.

Enjoy.

Personally, I feel there is a good bit of sense in waiting until the baby is born to learn the sex. When you're rearing children there is so much you can't know in advance and can't control, that it makes sense to get used to some pre-determined helplessness and ignorance.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:45 am
Goodness gracious Joah, that's barely a bump!

I remembered the wedding ring one, just not what each result means. A little useless without that info. ("Tie a wedding ring to a string and if it swings back and forth it's... um... a boy or a girl. One of those.")
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
Linkat, my husband DEFINITELY enjoys the boob growth. He's always saying something about them. lol They make me very uncomfortable but ...all my fault. Been too lazy and in denial in regards to getting a bigger bra.

Noddy, those tests are great. Thanks. I heard about those a long time ago but forgot about them!

Eva, you're always a good spirit. I LOVE being pregnant. My husband has to deal with me showing him a new picture every day of what the bean looks like or what its doing. He's not the type to ever get too excited about something (outwardly), so I always push...push...push.. in hopes I see some sort of "yay, this thing that looks like an alien in books is sooooooo exciting" (husband). Laughing Laughing

The mood swings have come in. Everyone knows what my "deep breath" and slow exhale means.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
Ah yes, now I remember, Joa. Shortness of breath and sluggishness was immediate for me and actually was what made me sure I was pregnant. I also have a heart murmur that became accentuated by the increased blood flow.

I didn't know you had only one kidney. It's true that pregnancy can be hard on the kidneys so I hope the docs watch you closely. Take good care of yourself and that tiny belly.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:49 am
Quote:
sozobe: Goodness gracious Joah, that's barely a bump!

DON'T SAY THAT!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I want people to tell me I'm showing!!! I want to show danggit!!!!!! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:50 am
I do remember that. I have a picture of me the first time that you could really tell I was pregnant... SOO happy. ("SEE! Pregnant! Really!!")
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:53 am
You are probably getting the APH test - not sure if I got the intials right. It is basically a blood test. One thing I would always question is what are the pros and cons of each type of test. You don't necessarily have to have each test the doctor recommends.

My doctor explained the pros and cons of this test. The biggest con is that there are lots of false positives. In other words, many times the test comes back saying that the baby may potentially have downs. Then the doctor recommends an amnio which has it's other either bigger cons and more than likely the amnio proves the test was wrong. I know too many people who went through this anguish. I refused it.

Also because of my age they offerred me an amnio which I also refused because I did not want one little chance of miscarriage.

The ultrasound I took (even though again you can have some false postives) because I desperately wanted to "see" the little baby.

These sorts of decisions are personal, but it is important to realize you do not have to take certain tests - it should be you and your husband to decide.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 01:07 pm
Congrats Joahaeyo!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 01:16 pm
Contratulations!

My answer is simple:

If you have agreed on the child's name on one gender, and not on the other, you'll have a child of the gender on which there is no agreement.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
^^^

That would be a boy then. We do have girl names, but we keep debating on which one we like more.

So I'm back, and now I think it's a boy. I think I drive my doctor bonkers. Laughing

The heartrate went down by 14 to 150bpm, so my gut ...says boy now. Well truthfully, my gut has been saying that for a long time, but then inside I tell myself I secretly want a girl. Smile

No test for down syndrome, etc... I have to do that next week.

We do have an appt for Aug. 2nd at 1 p.m. to attempt to see the gender!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

It will be on her ultrasound which isn't a very good one. The good one is down in the radiology dept but by their regulation, they can't schedule "the big ultrasound" until 20 wks to allow the other organs more time to develop.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
BTW, our bean has an enormous head. Gets it from mommy. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
I just want to say it is so much fun to have Joahaeyo back!

Especially now.

My favourite pregnant person at work is home now for the final countdown and I missmissmiss her daily/hourly excitements so much.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:50 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Shocked

your pregnant?!!

WOW!
Congratulations!!!

( hmm.. boy )

You're back! Work some witchy voodoo on my work files.

-----------------

Joa, I say a boy too. :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:23 pm
Don't you just love her enthusiasm! I DO!!!

That is barely a bump, Joah, but don't worry, it will keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger! In a few months, you'll look back at that picture of your(barelypregnant)self and die laughing!

Go ahead and bug your handsome hubby with all the details. It will prepare him for the days ahead when you'll greet him at the door with, "Guess what he/she did today!" My husband was also laid-back, but by the time the baby was a month old, he was calling home every few hours asking what the baby was doing now. That was so much fun! A world of delight.

Pregnancy teaches you to let go...that you really aren't in control of everything. That's good preparation for parenthood.

I still say that people who decide up front that pregancy is a wonder-filled thing are going to have a good time with it, problems or no problems. I'm glad to see that Joah is one of us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
It's a wonder-filled thing, to be sure. Just not always, for everyone -- and that's OK.

Definitely fun to read along!
0 Replies