I'm going bonkers. What does your gut say (gender prediction

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:47 am
Am I having a boy or girl?

Typical questions asked on those old wives tale sites:

I was 25 time of conception (26 now)
conception date (tmi): April 22nd 05
Due Date: Jan 7th 06

My mom had a dream I was pregnant with a BOY a WEEK before I even told her I was pregnant! And we're usually insync.

My mom has 5 sisters/1boy
His mom has 2 girls/1boy

(questions from old wives tale quiz)
I'm not craving orange juice.
craving more sour than sweets
feet not swollen.
butt bigger
legs are not more hairy
nails not stronger

Husband wants a boy.
His entire family and mine say boy.
I say girl.

Your prediction? Smile

I should find out in 4-5 wks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,875 • Replies: 47
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:56 am
first of all, CONGRATS, Joa! I'm sure no matter if it's a boy or a girl, he or she will be loved and welcomed in a wonderful home.

my prediction: girl. for no good reason, as i have no clue about any of this. so it's a bet in fact. hey, you could even get rich on this!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
Congrats, Joa. How exciting. If everyone wants a boy, keep suggesting it's a girl. That way the little one won't be faced with disappointment that she wasn't what they hoped for if she turns out to be one.

That gender prediction calendar called it right for me both times. Also, if you get the black line down the belly, it's probably a boy, though the absence of one doesn't mean it's a girl. That's all I have in the way of prediction.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:03 am
Shocked

your pregnant?!!

WOW!
Congratulations!!!

( hmm.. boy )
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:05 am
According to pregnancy week-by-week and the Pregnancy Bible (books), I'm in the week most people start developing this black line. So far, there's nothing, but I would think it might be too early for it? I mean... of course I'm smarter than these books. Laughing

For the record, but I hope it's obvious... we'd be thrilled to have whatever. I'm just very anxious and can't help but want to know every little detail NOW.

I'm having stomach pains now (morning sickness is gone now), so I think my tummy is showing. All my shirts are from motherhood. That place is expensive! Though... my friends can't tell the shirts I have are "for pregnant folk."
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
Ive heard its the father that determines the gender of the baby so look at his family.

My friend is one of 5 boys, so far all of them that have offspring turned out to all be boys too.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
shewolfnm, we were shocked it happened so fast. Laughing
The thread about it started in the Big Brother thread on the tv forum.

I think a whole year in Iraq may have been part of it. ha. Seems like everyone who comes back from Iraq and is/or getting married gets pregnant right away. There was just an article about that in Entertainment magazine.

His sister has been trying for about 5 years (had in vitro twice). I think she was kinda upset to hear the news, but she's happy for us.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:15 am
Yeah, for me the black line came around month 5 or so.

One thing is true about looking at the father's family -- the order often repeats. Was he the first born? In my husband's family, all of the men had boys first (like their father) and all of the women had girls first. And they are a family of 7 so it's something of a repeating pattern.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:18 am
^^^^

oh, I can't wait to tell my husband that. he's going to hate that. the 2 girls came first in his family. Twisted Evil

though he says i'm going to regret wishing for a girl first. he thinks i'd appreciate a boy more (boys having a tendency to protect and cling to mom ...while "they say" girls cling more AFTER they move out)

to be honest, i don't know what i want (gender preference). up to when i got pregnant, I always thought i wanted a boy. maybe because my husband wants a boy... i'm naturally ALWAYS looking for a competition and want a girl now. i'm weird.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:20 am
Always go with the mother's gut over anything else. To me you are the closest so your gut means more than anything else.

I also an extremely vivid dream when I was first pregnant and no one could convince me that I would have anything, but a girl. It was so vivid I remember the intense joy I had when she was first born. I remember vividly lots and lots of dark hair. She was born exactly as my dream.

Funny thing is the second pregnancy felt much different - no dreams - baby did not move as much, etc. Even after an ultrasound (which the doctor predicted a girl - about 75% sure) because of the difference I thought, maybe this is a boy. She was a beautiful little girl.

You both and your family will just be filled with joy - no matter what. But it is fun to try and guess.

I hear that Old Navy now has maternity clothes - you may have to purchase on-line, but I would guess they would be significantly less than motherhood. Another place that has on-line maternity is JC Penney.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
Joahaeyo wrote:
shewolfnm, we were shocked it happened so fast. Laughing

I think a whole year in Iraq may have been part of it. ha..

hmmmmm

are you REALLY that surprised?? :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
Target has maternity clothes too, one of the expensive names (I'm thinking Liz Lange but I'm not sure.) Gap and Banana Republic too, and they have sales. Motherhood is larceny. (Er, the store...)

I'm usually pretty good about this gut feeling/ prediction sort of thing (after I'd been with E.G. for only a few months I had this strong -- image, or something -- of a toddler with blue eyes and dark curly hair, and took it to mean that it was the baby we'd have together. Sozlet [born 8 years later] has blue eyes and dark curly hair.) BUT... I was all over the place when I was pregnant. I had lots of vivid dreams but they pointed different directions. I was fairly certain I'd have a boy, and one of the two ultrasounds I had (different doctors) agreed. (Don't put too much stake in ultrasounds, if you get one!!!)

One thing about the dad wanting a boy -- E.G. always thought he wanted a boy. Of course he just wanted a baby that was healthy, smart, sweet, etc., but if there was a choice... Since then, he has said several times that he's so happy she's a girl. He just doesn't really get boys her age, thinks they're too rough and don't talk enough. (Sozlet's a major talker.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:44 am
Yeah, Gap has good sales and they have the adjustable waist bands so you can wear the pants longer. Though, maybe they all have that now. I haven't been pregnant in over three years, thank goodness.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
Thank goodness?? Is it that bad? Laughing

I'm scared to death. I think I can handle it as long as they're a newborn. It's once they start walking that I start crawling back in my shell.

Thanks for the store ideas! I needed them. My pants don't fit but i'm having trouble finding a pair that does (in stores). It's not that I'm large ...rather than I'm shaped different if that makes sense. Plus, I'm 6' tall, so finding pants was already hard. Yeah for capri's!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
You can always do the rubber band thingy until you begin to fit better into maternity clothes. Hook a rubber band through the button loop and hook the other end of the rubber band around the button.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:03 am
No no, I didn't mean that. Just that I'm done having kids, that's all. You'll do great, don't worry. Listen to your instincts and you'll be fine.

Hey, Gap has long lengths too. And they're often on sale because they don't sell much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
FreeDuck. We can tell her.

I know some people have breezy pregnancies, but for me it SUCKED. I'm only telling you because I wish more people had told me. Sucked sucked sucked. Lots of great things about it, don't get me wrong, like "quickening" (the first time I felt movement), and developing a knowledge of and bond with this little creature.

You're entering the best trimester, I think -- first trimester is morning sickness and hormones, last trimester is hugeness and get it out of here already and hormones. Second trimester is when fun things start happening but it's not so bad.

And childbirth... well, can tell you more about that later.

FreeDuck's entirely right that if you listen to your instincts you'll be fine. And maybe you will be one of those people for whom the whole thing passes by in a nice pink cloud -- you're young, and evidently quite fertile. ;-) But feel free to vent if things get sucky, too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:13 am
You are also lucky that you are tall - typically (but by all means not everyone) when you are tall, pregnancy is easier - at least that is what my mid-wife told me. However, I am petite and had my children at an older age and really had little difficulty during my pregnancies - so who knows.

The stage you are going through is the best. I felt better than before I was pregnant. You begin showing so most everyone is helpful and knows you are pregnant - not just gaining weight. You no longer feel sick, you begin to feel the baby - you are not too big that tummy gets in the way of sleeping - You are glowing and look beautiful - I just felt awesome at this stage.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:28 am
I've also heard that about being tall. And you have an easier time carrying and never stick out quite as far. I had terrible back problems around late second trimester -- sciatica to be exact. My entire left leg would go numb whenever I stood or walked. I attributed that to my short waist. My sister-in-law is quite tall and she just never looked like she was full term. She was very active and didn't have the same kind of back problems. She also had very easy deliveries. Here's hoping the same goes for you.

To add to what soz, said: Some women love being pregnant. My sister is one. And the things soz says that are great are the same ones I remember enjoying. I didn't enjoy the gigantic boobs and the low energy and the monthly prodding.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:06 am
Bet your husband like the boobs though.
0 Replies