‘I can say anything I want’: Michigan official defends using racist slur

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 03:32 pm
Quote:
A local road commission meeting in northern Michigan on Tuesday started with one commissioner asking another why he wasn’t wearing a mask amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The unmasked official responded with a racist slur and an angry rant against the Black Lives Matter movement.

“Well, this whole thing is because of them n-----s in Detroit,” Tom Eckerle, who was elected to his position on the Leelanau County Road Commission in 2018, told his colleague at the start of the public meeting.

He later doubled down and added,

Quote:
“I don’t regret calling it a n----r,” Eckerle told Interlochen Public Radio. “A n----r is a n----r is a n----r. That’s not a person whatsoever.”

Well, that certainly clarifies it.

more. . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 578 • Replies: 5
No top replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 04:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
He is right you can say anything you like even if it gets you fired. It is not against the law.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 04:42 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

He is right you can say anything you like even if it gets you fired. It is not against the law.

I concur.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 05:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Within reason and stipulations.

If it goes beyond the slur, for example, issuing a threat, using some form of attack (directly assaulting, throwing an object at the slur recipient), and other things, it can and should become a charged act.

If all that was done is the slur, the local District Attorney, has a general level of leeway in some states.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 05:47 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
directly assaulting, throwing an object at the slur recipient)

Does that go for the police too? A lot of that coming their direction.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 06:09 pm
@Sturgis,
Yeah, I didn't consider threats and incitement to violence, like the White supremacist who had his gun confiscated for incitement to violence and threatening a certain individual.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/07/28/semi-automatic-weapon-orangevale-neo-nazi-andrew-casarez/
0 Replies