Happy Birthday, Little Boots !

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:15 pm
It has come to my attention that today is the 59th birthday of the commander in chief of the good ol' US of A.
How is everyone celebrating this joyous occasion ?
C'mon, y'all !

(Personally, I just ordered a Stetson with a red white and blue propeller on the crown.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,814 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
Little boots ? ! ? ! ?

Are you aware that "little boots" was the cognomen of the emperor Giaus--and in latin, that is Caligula?

If so, kudos on your subtle irony. If not, claim it was intended anyway, and get some undeserved credit.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:22 pm
Dammit, Set.
I wuz tryin' to get that one in under the radar...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
Ooooo . . . slick response . . . my hat would be off to you, but alas, i never wear hats . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:25 pm
Which must be why you keep such a cool head ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
Flattery, and a buck-and-a-half, will get a bus ride across town . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:30 pm
You know, we could go somewhere with this. Giaus made a horse a Senator. The Shrub made a horse's ass secretary of defense. Let's work on this . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
Hmmm... thinking
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:47 pm
Set,

Perhaps you could whip up a little something comparing Cincinnatus' career as leader of Rome to the glorious job that Mr. Boots has been doing.

Or we could just go looking for the perfect meatloaf.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
There is, alas, no perfect meatloaf. But for this we should be thankful--the variety of meatloaf sammiches available for our delectation is endless . . .

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus stood bail for his nephew by putting all of his properties within the city in hock. His nephew skipped town, and Cincinnatus was beggared. The one remaining property he retained was a small farm on the Janiculum (not then within the confines of the city). He retired to the farm and eeked out a living in a traditional manner, much praised for its republican virtue by those who didn't themselves actually have to raise blisters on the handles of a plow. He was called to the Dictatorship five times, and returned to his humble farm at the conclusion of each emergency. Even though a legendary account, i think it probably has a good basis in fact. Therefore, i consider L. Quinctius Cincinnatus to have been an honorable man, and would not sully his name by a comparison to "Little Boots."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
Little Boots . . . i love it . . . wish i'd thought of it . . . think i'll use if from now on . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
I defer to you, my good man.

I was merely trying to to recall a bit of schoolboy history.

Isn't there something noble in the quest for perfection ?

or is that madness...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
Little Boots . . . i love it . . . wish i'd thought of it . . . think i'll use if from now on . . .

It really does have a good bite to it .

I tried it on another forum about a year ago, and only a Canajun picked up on it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:02 pm
I have ambivalent feelings about that . . . perfection seems not to be possible, and in fact to be a tyrannical concept, in that it implies that is a single best way to do or to view something. At the same time, i think people excel when they aspire to a notion of perfection. Tough call . . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
Oh boy, the cool things I learn on a2k.

Thanks, fellas.

Little Boots? It goes with the package... a guy born on third base who thought he hit a triple.... all hat and no cows...a rancher who doesn't know how to ride... yee-up.. That'd be our CiC.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
I need to sleep on this... and see if I have any visions in the night.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 04:38 am
Or, you could call him Big Little Man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
Laura Bush's "milking" joke has to fit in here somewhere...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:41 am
I don't know that one, Boss, what is the "milking" joke?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:49 am
Laura Bush did a series of jokes about her man and how he didn't know much about ranching at a dinner roast for the White House Press Corps. It included a stupid (though the press told us this was very clever of her) comment about his trying to milk a horse.

I thought LionTamer said something about meatloaf... was I dreaming?
0 Replies