If you have children would you send them back to school?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:14 am
@Linkat,
You're being silly. And my replies are hypothetical since my youngest child has passed her 40th birthday.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Not to mention we are not really talking about one kid. If it happens to one, it is almost certain to happen to more and can likely spread to the rest of the family, possibly including even the grandparents.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

A permanently injured or even deceased child is cause enough for me to not want to send them back just yet.

And that is what can happen to many children that stay at home rather than go to school-depending on that child's situation.

The Little League situation - you can have a permanently injured child or even deceased - so I hope your child never plays sports!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They do not in the US. Which if people are up in harms about potential covid impacts to children is crazy - they are willing to send their child to school even knowing someone got the flu - children die of the flu - that is known.

However, the CDC is recommending that when schools open - if a child does come down with covid, they close for a period of time, clean up, etc.

So yes there are standards in place to cover for this sort of thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:29 am
@Linkat,
After damage is done.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:30 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You're being silly. And my replies are hypothetical since my youngest child has passed her 40th birthday.

No they are not - they are silly to you but it is real.

Do you know that highest teen deaths are due to:
Accidents (unintentional injuries)
Suicide
Homicide

So I should not worry about the second item for my daughter who is known to have mental health issues diagnosed by a medical doctor and therapist?

So she has a higher chance of dying from this (probably increased due to her mental state) - so I am silly that this is more important than worrying about covid which from stats is less than 2% to even catch?

So being socially engaged in school and with her peers helps her mental state?

But no I am being silly.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

After damage is done.

Then answer this - why do we not close the schools in flu season - completely?

Children die from the flu - they can pass this onto others - as well as their grandparents - the flu is very dangerous to the elderly, but yet we do not even close after a child is noted as having the flu - we get a notice from the school informing us that a child has the flu.

People are picking and choosing which things they want the schools to close for. That is silly.

I am not asking others to be forced to go to school - I suggest if they feel uncomfortable they leave their kids at home - each person has to decide.

But yet you want to decide for me and call me silly and callous to my child.

I respect your decision - you do not know my personal situation and my child's it would be nice to respect what I feel is best my child and not being judged.

Are you the type that judges parents that have a child that gets hooked on drugs, that dies by suicide, without knowing anything about it.

At this point I am done with this because I know there are people so afraid of this covid (understandably) that they are not being rational. It is easy to sit back when you have a perfect child (or does not currently have a child) that does not suffer and has no issues with homeschooling/virtual learning - that is still thriving in this environment.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:47 am

this discussion has turned into a gun debate... i'm out...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:49 am
The discussion is not about flu. The rate of infection from the virus is going up and therefore the kids cannot be safe.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 01:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
De Vos's plan is to have our kids go back to school in lieu of testing. We are apparently raising our kids to become canaries in the coal mine eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 01:29 pm
@farmerman,
It would appear so. What we lack is decisive leadership that can set down a rule and enforce it. Otherwise we will be doing this for another year or two.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 02:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

De Vos's plan is to have our kids go back to school in lieu of testing. We are apparently raising our kids to become canaries in the coal mine eh?

Each move this inept administration makes seems to be an attempt to make a previous move look less stupid...by being even more stupid.

How anyone can continue to support these miscreants is unfathomable.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 02:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I find it alarming that there is no direction, we've been left to squabble like kids in a school yard. You have to wonder why every other country on the globe has done a better job of limiting the virus and their death totals are minuscule compared to those in the United States.

Apparently other countries believe that a healthy nation is a prosperous nation. As Americans we chuckle at such notions because we are too cheap and callous to think of anyone but ourselves.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 04:08 pm
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:
we must be using a different google!

Google stalks people to try to learn their internet habits, and it tailors search results to people based on what it knows about them.

Very different people using identical search terms will get very different search results from Google.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:10 am
I really wish the people who are making certain statements statements would occasionally back up their claims with data. For example. her in Oklahoma, we have had 1 death for age 0-24 out of 4300 recorded cases since this virus began. Young people do not die from this.
We have had 82 deaths out of nearly 16,000 cases for ages 0-64, with 54 of them in the 54-64 age group. and who is to say how many of the 54 had some sort of co-morbid condition (statewide 75% of covid deaths had heart, renal or diabetes problems)
If you are going to believe in science, then your viewpoint should reflect the science and not emotion. 80% of the deaths occur on people over age 65 and half the deaths occur from people in nursing homes and long term care facilities..
I am willing to bet Oklahoma statistics are similar to your state where is comes to frequencies and death rates per 1000 by age grouping.
If you think one child's death is too many, well, I can' help you there. Stay in your bubble.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:42 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

I really wish the people who are making certain statements statements would occasionally back up their claims with data. For example. her in Oklahoma, we have had 1 death for age 0-24 out of 4300 recorded cases since this virus began. Young people do not die from this.
We have had 82 deaths out of nearly 16,000 cases for ages 0-64, with 54 of them in the 54-64 age group. and who is to say how many of the 54 had some sort of co-morbid condition (statewide 75% of covid deaths had heart, renal or diabetes problems)
If you are going to believe in science, then your viewpoint should reflect the science and not emotion. 80% of the deaths occur on people over age 65 and half the deaths occur from people in nursing homes and long term care facilities..
I am willing to bet Oklahoma statistics are similar to your state where is comes to frequencies and death rates per 1000 by age grouping.
If you think one child's death is too many, well, I can' help you there. Stay in your bubble.

You are absolutely correct, Shug. And since we know with certainty that no kids ever come into contact with people who are 65 or older (or with people younger than 65 who then come into contact with people 65 or older)...

...the notion that we should think twice before opening schools before the pandemic is closer to being under control is absurd.

Cannot understand why these other fools cannot see things the way we do.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 06:35 am
the solution is not to keep kids away from one another. The solution is to keep people at risk (80 plus year old's, nursing home residents, people already ill )from exposure. Even healthy people age 65-70 need to be cautious, but face only a small risk of dying.
What is your solution ? Wait a year on the hopes that a vaccine might get developed (no guarantee on that). It is ridiculous to think we can stop the spread. Wearing a mask is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos ( most of the spread of the virus is not caused by airborne molecules) and we will never get 100% compliance
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:21 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

the solution is not to keep kids away from one another. The solution is to keep people at risk (80 plus year old's, nursing home residents, people already ill )from exposure. Even healthy people age 65-70 need to be cautious, but face only a small risk of dying.
What is your solution ? Wait a year on the hopes that a vaccine might get developed (no guarantee on that). It is ridiculous to think we can stop the spread. Wearing a mask is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos ( most of the spread of the virus is not caused by airborne molecules) and we will never get 100% compliance

Oh, no, Shug...I am agreeing with you.

We have handled the pandemic as adroitly as possible so far...so I am expecting the marvelous results this administration has obtained to continue.

For sure...send the kids to school.

What could possibly go wrong?
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
It was in the Nat Enquirer to eat lots of pistachios and that will guarantee that you are safe from covid-19.

We must hoard pistachios to keep from experiencing a PISTACHIO GAP
shug23

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
the mortality rate is what it is, by age grouping. That is unlikely to change whether schools open or stay closed. What could happen is more people get exposed sooner than they otherwise would have, but that doesn't affect the mortality rate which is extremely small for most of the population. Healthy adults of school age children don't face a great risk from Covid

What could go wrong is 'at risk' people don't take necessary precautions. What could go right is the poorest people in our country can get back to work; women wont forego mammograms, men wont forego cancer screenings, suicide rates will drop, stress levels will drop and so on.

I am not sure what state you are coming from, but as far as I am concerned Oklahoma and some other states are handling it just right. You have to look at your state leadership who is running your show. I cannot even imagine the suffering that is going on in Hawaii due to people who have attitudes like yours