If you have children would you send them back to school?

shug23

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 04:04 am
@neptuneblue,
just google 'Florida testing results'
jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 04:42 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

just google 'Florida testing results'

I just used the google, that's not what I found.

Florida Department of Health

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE — Today, the Florida Department of Health (DOH) reported a record-high number of test results received in one day, in addition to a third-day decline in percent positivity of new cases. On July 11, 142,981 test results were reported to the state and 11.25 percent of new cases** tested positive.

DOH, in order to provide more comprehensive data, releases a report on COVID-19 cases in Florida once per day. The DOH COVID-19 dashboard is also providing updates once per day. The state also provides a report detailing surveillance data for every Florida county, which is available here.

In order to make the daily COVID-19 report easier to download and more accessible, the daily report will now separate case line data in a separate PDF. Both reports will continue to be updated daily. The case line data report is available here.

Test results for more than 142,900 individuals were reported to DOH as of midnight, on Saturday, July 11. Today, as reported at 11 a.m., there are:

15,300 new positive COVID-19 cases (15,135 Florida residents and 165 non-Florida residents)
45 Florida resident deaths related to COVID-19
There are a total of 266,119 positive cases in Florida residents and 3,692 positive cases in non-Florida residents.

There are a total of 269,811 Florida cases*** with 4,242 deaths related to COVID-19.

Since July 11, the deaths of forty-five Florida residents who tested positive for COVID-19 have been reported in Brevard, Broward, Charlotte, Dade, Duval, Hernando, Hillsborough, Holmes, Lee, Martin, Palm Beach, Polk, Seminole and St. Lucie counties.

Florida long-term care facility data:

The list of long-term care facilities with active COVID-19 cases is available here.
The list of long-term care facilities with deaths is available here, which is updated weekly.
To date, 2,100 individuals that were staff or residents of a long-term care facility have died.
The antibody COVID-19 test results report will be provided once a week and contains county, race and lab information on antibody COVID-19 tests conducted in Florida. The report for antibody tests conducted by private health care providers is available here and the report for antibody tests conducted at state-supported COVID-19 testing sites is available here.

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 05:27 am

we are completely screwed as a nation as long as this is allowed to continue...

0 Replies

shug23

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 05:42 am
we must be using a different google !

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — The Florida Department of Health confirms it is missing negative test results from small, private labs across the state.

That data is needed to give the most accurate depiction of the positive COVID-19 infection rates in Florida.

In a statement to WPTV, the Florida Department of Health said the following:

All COVID-19 cases are confirmed through diagnostic and antigen testing and then reported to the state by the labs performing the testing. Private and public laboratories are required to report positive and negative test results to the state immediately.

In recent days, the Florida Department of Health noticed that some smaller, private labs weren't reporting negative test result data to the state. The Department immediately began working with those labs to ensure that all results were being reported in order to provide comprehensive and transparent data.

As the state continues to receive results from various labs, the Department will continue educating these labs on proper protocol for reporting COVID-19 test results.
In recent state reports, showing the COVID-19 testing results by laboratory in Florida, more than 1,100 labs have reported test results to the state through July 13.

Of those labs, more than 460 reported 100 percent positivity rates.

Dozens of labs reported just one positive case and zero negatives, potentially indicating minimal involvement in testing.
jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 05:58 am
@shug23,
shug23 wrote:

we must be using a different google !

No, there's only one. The difference between mine and yours is I posted a link to my source. You left yours out.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 06:35 am
https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/florida-department-of-health-confirms-missing-negative-coronavirus-test-results-in-states-infection-rate
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 06:40 am
@jcboy,
I think he is referring to an error that occurred in recording the Florida tests. It seems - I think it was one testing facility - forget all the details but having some family that lives in Florida I had read about this recently....any way it seems a testing facility came back and said that all the tests they received were positive - this was not correct, of course, not sure but I think it was some sort of reporting error.

That does not mean that the rates are very high in Florida - just, yes, there were some errors in their reporting of numbers and they are not as high as originally stated to the public.

This is probably why in places like CA and FL the rates are increasing (funny but scary video):

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/07/15/solving-the-mask-shortage-in-huntington-beach-youtube-video-chad-jt/

I am so glad I do not live in either place - where I am - I have not seen anyone refusing to wear a mask.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 06:52 am
@Linkat,
And I would like to add - I am not proposing that places that are having issues with covid - like some areas of FL and CA - should open things up including schools.

CDC does have guidelines as well on how/when it would be safe for schools to open. I also feel strongly that each person/family (including teachers and anyone working in a school) needs to decide if it is right for them to go in-person. And no one should be penalized for their decision.

I have been knocked for allowing my daughter to play basketball - it is right for her. For her, she needs it mentally. Yes - it is part of her mental health. She had been injured several years ago where she could not play for over a year. Not long after that she started to show signs of mental health issues. I did not connect the two until one of her teachers talked to me about it. She had said that especially athletes have some increased hormone or something that actually makes them feel mentally good with all the physical exercise. She said she had always watched for signs of that in the class with her sports players when they got hurt and could not play.

My daughter had surgery and then PT and could not play competitively for almost two years. You go from 110% to 0% - add in normal teenage angst and you have a time bomb.

Yeah she has a chance of catching this - but she is just getting to feel good about herself again - don't know why but the virtual workouts are not the same for her - she participated in them while she could not physically be with her team...I cannot explain it - but I do see the difference. I live with it and it is like having two completely different people - she seems to be in a happy place again - no more blow ups, no more physical harm.

So yes - each person has to decide what is best for them and their child. Each child is different and you need to weigh what is best for them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 07:07 am

https://i.imgur.com/d6sPyIl.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 07:21 am
If you expect just one kid to catch the virus, why put them at risk? Are we really that callous?
shug23

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 07:53 am
@Linkat,
try 400 facilities
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 08:40 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If you expect just one kid to catch the virus, why put them at risk? Are we really that callous?

Of course we are that callous. ~39,000 people die in car accidents every year, should we ban cars? If we made the speed limit 20mph, we could seriously reduce that number, but we don't do that. There is a risk/reward calculation on everything we do. We let kids play little league baseball even though there are on average two deaths per year. (A local middle schooler was killed by a stray ball a few years ago here.) In this case, there are children who do not have good facilities for home schooling. There is a clear benefit to in class schooling that has to be weighed against the risk of going to school (which is more than just covid-19.) It sounds callous to say this all boils down to a linear algebra, cost benefit analysis, but it does and the answer is different for different families.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 08:44 am
@engineer,
Statistics are the sadists's opiates. Making it okay to sacrifice this kid when it's totally unnecessary.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
What use would a sadist have for opiates?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 08:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I friend of mine had breast cancer a few years ago. The doctor had serious discussions with her and her husband about the treatment approach. They started with "let's do everything possible!" The doctor told them that doing everything possible meant a huge impact on their quality of life for minuscule improvements in outcomes. In the end, they elected on a course that got them 98% of the positive with a much smaller impact on their lives. (It all turned out well.) A zero risk position for some children results in a significant decrease in quality of life in the short term and lifetime potential in the long term. There is a balance that we all decide on all the time. Not sending children to school has a significant negative impact. You can't ignore that and make a good decision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:06 am
A permanently injured or even deceased child is cause enough for me to not want to send them back just yet.
Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Kids get all sorts of things - do we keep them out of school when one child gets the flu? Why put them at risk?

Kids die from the flu. Your thoughts then we should close the schools in flu season.

No sports - kids can get hurt even die from playing sports - why risk it?
No being in a car - kids die from car accidents - why risk it?
Kids get bullied in school - some kids as a result have committed suicide - why risk sending them to school?

There is risk in everything - you cannot prevent 100% risk.

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:10 am
@engineer,
oops looks like someone had the same thought.

Now if you find that covid is very dangerous to children then yeah - you figure the risk vs going to school is greater than any benefit from going to school.

The item I pointed out is - NOT going to school is actually more dangerous to my daughter - and many other children due to their personal circumstances - than the potential danger from catching covid.

I have a friend whose immune system is comprised due to cancer. She has a daughter that has special needs - my friend is promoting her to go to school because it is so harmful to her mental state not to have this specialized attention she had in school.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:11 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Statistics are the sadists's opiates. Making it okay to sacrifice this kid when it's totally unnecessary.

do you allow your child to drive in a car?

How dare you - you are a sadist! Making it ok to sacrifice your child is totally unnecessary.

What I really love is the lack of understanding on different child's needs. You are ok with one risk for your child because it fits you and your situation - but yet you say others are callous and sadist because of this.

So if my daughter did not go to school resulting in her depression deepening so she would harm herself (which she has - so this is at least a 50% chance of doing this) that is ok. But yet if she less than 2% of getting covid - I am being sadist. Yeah makes complete sense.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 09:12 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Kids get all sorts of things - do we keep them out of school when one child gets the flu? Why put them at risk?/quote]Classes are closed here (in most if not all states), if one child has the got influenza - schools, when it still spreads.