If you have children would you send them back to school?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:07 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Thank you Edgar, ours will be home even if it's through next year!

Good move.

I know kids need companionship...but this move to open the schools now seems way out there.

Horrible luck to have the pandemic hit.

Cosmic bad luck to have Trump as president at the time!
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:09 am
@neptuneblue,
we need to move on as a country. There is no guarantee that a vaccine will be developed; there is certainly no way of knowing what the long-term impact of a newly developed vaccine (if one comes out) is going to have on people.

You want to keep opening and shutting down the country? 40 % of the poorest people in our country are out of work. What's the long term impact of that ?

half the deaths have occurred on people in nursing home s or long term care facilities. 80 percent of the deaths have occurred where the patient had an underlying serious condition. The average age of death is close to 79.

Be smart about your behavior; there is a risk you could get sick and die , but it is so unlikely, especially if you are healthy and under age 50.

so don't send your kid to school if you don't want to. Don't teach, if you are a teacher, and don't want to. But let the rest of us get back to living and weighing our own risks of what we find acceptable.

The best ting you can do for your own health is not to mandate your fears on me

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:09 am
@Linkat,
I think you are overselling the AAP. They are only one organization. Yes, they are an prestigious organization with relevant expertise. But, they are still only one voice. And even so, I am not sure if they are saying what you claim they are saying.

AAP wrote:
“Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts. A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

“Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses. We call on Congress and the administration to provide the federal resources needed to ensure that inadequate funding does not stand in the way of safely educating and caring for children in our schools. Withholding funding from schools that do not open in person fulltime would be a misguided approach, putting already financially strapped schools in an impossible position that would threaten the health of students and teachers.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

My crystal ball says that even the AAP will be admit that schools aren't ready to reopen in many areas when September rolls around.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:13 am
The other thing is that "social distancing" for kids, particularly those in primary grades...is almost impossible. Kids hug other kids. It is part of being a kid. Easier to stop a gnat from circling your head than stop kids from hugging and touching in other ways.

We are in deep **** because of leadership that is MORE than just incompetent. They are actually working against more safety, in the interests of furthering Trump's political career.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:22 am

if we can't get the adults in this country to comply with safety guidelines,
how the eff are we gonna get all the kids on the same page?
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

if we can't get the adults in this country to comply with safety guidelines,
how the eff are we gonna get all the kids on the same page?

Actually kids would more likely follow instructions!
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:26 am
@shug23,
there are several reports of vaccine efficacy working beyond expectations. (100% antibody presence). Whats needed now is safety and dosage frequency (looks like 2 doses is gonna be a minimum so thats got to be evaluated.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:37 am
@maxdancona,
It is not only AAP - it is educators, pediatricians, various state health boards even the CDC and many epidemiologists, children's hospitals, etc.

I mention AAP because they are the overriding board to protect children's health. I can list various articles and links supporting this but I do not want to overwhelm with all these links - you can easily find them.

Yes it is saying what I am saying - do you thoroughly read what I wrote I did as long as things are progressing as they are and do not get worse.

Yes common sense would tell one if opening schools causes a huge spike you would close them - that is why MA is requiring schools to come up with three plans.

AAP is going by statistics from other countries which opened up schools and there were no spikes in covid and results from daycares here in the US.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:43 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
It is not only AAP - it is educators, pediatricians, various state health boards even the CDC and many epidemiologists, children's hospitals, etc.

It is my understanding that most epidemiologists want to keep schools closed in the fall. You are right that there are minority opinions, but the majority of experts on infectious disease are are quite worried about reopening schools.

The CDC (as I understand it) wants to keep schools closed. They are worried about the politics, but the science says there is a big risk in reopening schools.

There are competing interests here... yes, it is far better for kids to be in schools in person. I don't think that anyone is denying the scientific risk of opening schools during a pandemic that isn't under control.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:55 am
The problem is that Trump and his minions have politicized this, letting rhetoric and political necessity take the place of sound science. I think the reasonable way to handle this is to set up a list of criteria that need to take place before schools reopen.

- The number of new cases must be stable or declining.
- The positive test rate must be stable or declining.
- The number of tests given must be above a certain level.
- And... whatever other measures of community spread.

If we agree on these things, then we can proceed logically. Maybe in Massachusetts and New York we can reopen schools.

Maybe we should take a bet about whether schools will be open past Columbus Day.

I bet no.
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:45 am
so a county that has 27 cases since the dawn of time, zero deaths, 5 active cases should shut down their school system because you say so ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 10:00 am
I just know what I would do. And since Houston is pretty much out of control with the virus already, I would keep the kids home.
shug23

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 10:04 am
@edgarblythe,
yes....that should be your choice
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 11:31 am
https://news.yahoo.com/german-study-finds-no-evidence-164704005.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 11:39 am
This is one of the reasons the Federal Government has no business being involved in Education. Leave it up to local and state officials. Surely they can handle it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 12:03 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

This is one of the reasons the Federal Government has no business being involved in Education. Leave it up to local and state officials. Surely they can handle it.

Absolutely.

State and local officials have done a great job keeping the coronavirus under control...so they should be able to handle kids going to school like a charm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 12:07 pm
From THe Hill on Facebook

Florida health officials have identified a troubling trend: approximately 33 percent, or one third, of children in Florida tested for COVID-19 yield positive results.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Florida has a lot of problems
0 Replies

shug23

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 12:33 pm
you are aware that the testing results in Florida are bogus, I assume ?

"The investigation into data from the Florida Department of Health, showed labs reporting a 100% positivity rate in testing, meaning that every single person who was tested was positive for the coronavirus. Several other labs had high positivity rates upward of 80%.

One hospital, Orlando Health, responded to the investigation and confirmed that the report is inaccurate, saying that its positivity rate was 9.4% and not 98% as the report stated.

Another hospital, Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center, is listed in the report with a positivity rate of 76%, but the hospital says the actual number was 6%."

This is today's news...supposedly 300 labs presented 100% positivity rates....You are being manipulated
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:21 pm
@shug23,
Can you please cite your reference?