USC will Remove John Wayne Exhibit

Sat 11 Jul, 2020 11:45 am
USC to remove John Wayne's exhibit after student protests over racist comments the actor made decades ago.

https://countryrebel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/john-wayne-why-are-you-marching.jpg

USC’s School of Cinematic Arts will remove an exhibit dedicated to John Wayne after students called for its removal last year because of racist comments the late actor made in a 1971 Playboy magazine interview, the school announced Friday.

Citing a push to promote “anti-racist cultural values,” Evan Hughes, the assistant dean of diversity and inclusion, announced the change in a letter to the school’s community.

“Conversations about systemic racism in our cultural institutions along with the recent global, civil uprising by the Black Lives Matter Movement require that we consider the role our school can play as a change maker in promoting antiracist cultural values and experiences,” Hughes said in the statement. “Therefore, it has been decided that the Wayne Exhibit will be removed.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-10/usc-to-remove-john-wayne-exhibit-nearly-a-year-after-student-protests

Here is what Wayne said in the interview:

Quote:
“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility,” he said in the interview. “I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

He was not denying them Equality Under the Law that is the American Way. He was saying they need to shape up behavior before having a seat at his table. 1971 Interview after the Race Riots of the mid to late 60's.

Now look where we are today where every black criminal street thug must be lifted up as a victim of white racism.

Going backward away from real equality and proper judgement character as MLK said in his speech. Wayne was defending his personal judgement of character. I wish he did not apply this with such a broad brush, but it is not the racist statement as claimed.

Sturgis

Sat 11 Jul, 2020 02:01 pm
This is something that is long overdue!

Marion was never one of my favorite actors. In many cases when he was on screen, it was inaccurate to even refer to him as an actor. His loathsome statement and likely others in a similar vein, show what he was. And all while making money off the labor of the same people he disparaged.
coldjoint

Sat 11 Jul, 2020 07:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
And all while making money off the labor of the same people he disparaged.

And starring with them too. Woody Strode and Roscoe Lee Brown.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 11 Jul, 2020 10:47 pm
I will stand up for John Wayne. I don't think the Exhibit should be removed. I think removing confederate statues is necessary. This is something different. Going back 50 years to find thought crimes of movie stars seems a little excessive.

I wonder if anyone besides me actually took the time to read the interview in question before passing judgement.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 12 Jul, 2020 02:50 pm
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41DT21ADtJL._AC_.jpg
0 Replies