Which Religion is the one truly most Murderous?

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
Brown
Sure the evangelicals support Israel and for that for the moment I am grateful. However, look to the reason. They believe that it is necessary in order to facilitate the return of Jesus. At which time Jews will become believers and those that refuse will be consigned to hell.
When this does not happen and surely it won't what will the evangelicals than do? Return to the practices of old. 1500 years of history have told us what that is.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:36 am
intrepid wrote
Quote:
You think that religion is an excuse to murder???

It has been and still is. Is it not
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:51 am
panzade wrote
Quote:

Probably the poorest post you've ever contributed. Not up to your usual high standards.

Maybe so. But I am getting tired of being preached to how right Christianity is and wrong Judaism is.

Someone said I should be grateful to the evangelicals for their support of Israel. My answer is yes I am. However, is that help akin to being petted before being hit on the head with a rock?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:16 am
au1929 wrote:
intrepid wrote
Quote:
You think that religion is an excuse to murder???

It has been and still is. Is it not

Can't remember the last time that I heard. "Yeah, that's right, I killed him see, and I'd kill him again." "I am religious after all."

It may be, and is, true that people of all religions have killed. It is not, however, an excuse for it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:29 am
Intrepid
Have you ever heard of the progroms in Russia?
That was murder promolgated by religion.

Yes indeed murder has been done in the name of religion thru the ages.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:31 am
I agreed that it has been done, au1929. What I said was....it is not an excuse.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
Intrepid
Perhaps excuse is the wrong word. How about religion being used as justification?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:56 am
ebrown_p wrote:
That's a little ungrateful Au.

The strongest support in the US for the right of Israel to "defend" herself comes not from the Jewish community, but from evangelical Christians. Many Jewish groups in the US want Israel to act with restraint, and there is a part of the Jewish community that pretty much agrees with me.

But most evangelical Christians strongly support Israel's right to control all of the land including the West Bank and Gaza. They also strongly suport all of Israels actions without question.

They do this primarily because they believe Christian prophesy that states that when the Jews controll allo f the Biblical land of Israel, Jesus Christ will return. The Christian responsibility to convert the Jews to Christianity when this happens is an important part of the doctrine.

But Christians are the best allies for those who support the actions of Israel without question and believe that Israel has a right to all of the occupied lands. This is why Bush always talks about the right of Israel to defend herself. He is talking to his Christian Right base.

You should at least say thanks.

Actually not all Christians hold that position.

Many Christians do not tie the Jewish control of Palestine to Christ's return at all. Whether on not the Jews control Palestine would have no bearing on the time Christ will return.

Jesus said "This gospel of the kingdom shall be proclaimed to all nations and then shall the end come." There is a considerable body of Christian thought that holds the only remaining requirement before Christ's return is that every nation (that would include tribes, clans, various groups of people not just nation-states as we generally refer to them) will have heard the gospel.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:16 am
So real_life,

Where do the Jews fit in on this point of view?

A key part of the prevalent Christian evangelical doctrine, is that the Jew's, as G-d's original chosen people, will have a special opportunity to accept Jesus. Many preachers give great important to the restoration of the Biblical lands of Israel to the Conversion of faithful Jews.

Under the point of view you are giving-- will the Jew's be saved? (other than the generic "all tribes" thing).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm
Au

granted

you say

"Steve
That was only my comment. In reality we could care less about the Christians think. So long as they leave us alone.
"

Interesting that your use of the phrase "we could care less" is directly opposite of how we say in British English "we couldnt care less"

If you think about it logically, which is correct? I dont know. I think McTag has a view......
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:54 pm
Steve
Regardless of who says what. I am sure you got the message.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
Yes of course au

I just feel so sorry and indeed angry at times that people of faith cant just say

well we JUST DONT KNOW

Moses Jesus and Mohammed had no better ideas than you or i
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Yes of course au

I just feel so sorry and indeed angry at times that people of faith cant just say

well we JUST DONT KNOW

Moses Jesus and Mohammed had no better ideas than you or i

Not to be contentious (well, okay, I am Smile ), but the reason this particular person of religious faith says "I know," is because I have personally experimented and validated, subjectively, my religion.
The question always remains, from where do you (generic you) get your values.
That question, logically extended to the origins, would seem to lend itself to religion.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:16 pm
"the reason this particular person of religious faith says "I know," is because I have personally experimented and validated, subjectively, my religion. "

well thats a great pity Moishe.

If only you had said objectively.

However would still be interested in the basis of your experimental technique.

I have thought about this myself. If you take a church synagogue and mosque and get everyone to pray really hard, which congregation will win more on the lottery? That must be proof of Gods favour.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:53 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"the reason this particular person of religious faith says "I know," is because I have personally experimented and validated, subjectively, my religion. "

well thats a great pity Moishe.

If only you had said objectively.

However would still be interested in the basis of your experimental technique.

I have thought about this myself. If you take a church synagogue and mosque and get everyone to pray really hard, which congregation will win more on the lottery? That must be proof of Gods favour.

Subjectively, of course. As religion purports to originate in a plane outside of the five senses, one must somehow internalize the religious experience in order to verify it.
My thesis is that free will is the basis of religion and therefore, religious pursuits. The particular religion I practice, Torah observant Judaism (Orthodox) supports this idea.
Therefore, the verification of religion would begin in Man's free will.
And, quite simply (but not simplistically), it must start from the question:
"What do you want?"
If what you want is a new cadillac, then, based on this idea of free will, you should go after a new cadillac. And religion- fuggadaboutit. Once you have achieved or failed at obtaining said cadillac, the question remains - now, "what do you want?"
A wife; a million dollars; a beautiful sunset; a little peace and quiet; world peace; whatever.... Pursue that which you want. And religion? Fuggadaboutit.
It is possible that the answer to the question may one day be "why do I exist?" "Is there a G-d?" "Does religion hold any answers?"
If this question is sincere, as with all other pursuits, you go after it.
Then, you start experimenting....
However, it is useless to experiment with religion if you are not interested in the answers.
I, personally, am never going to try and splice a frog gene into a wheat cell in order to find out what the result is - because it is outside of my field of interest.
The initial question is "What do you want?"
What you do; what you experiment with, depends on the answer to that question.

(Just an example - if I were to tell you that learning Torah, which means studying a couple of pages of the Talmud each and every day, in Hebrew and Aramaic, along with the commentaries on what it means, was going to give you the answers as "how to find G-d;" or "how to validate religion," you would never engage in such a practice unless that was "what you wanted.")
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:01 pm
thanks moishe

Was not really anticipating a serious reply

but very interesting

will read your post again after several hours unconsciousness .........
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
Moishe3rd
What level of orthodoxy do you follow? Hasidic?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:34 pm
Is this your group Moishe?

Quote:

YHVH is the one true G-d.

YHVH created all things.

YHVH is One and that trinity/tri-unity doctrines are inaccurate and misrepresent G-d.

The Scriptures [both the TaNaKh (old testment) and Brit Chadasha (new testament)] are the divinely-inspired Word of YHVH.

Scripture is complete and sufficient for our instruction.

YHVH revealed His Sacred Name in Scripture so believers could know and use His Name.

Talmud and other non-Scriptural writings are not divinely inspired and do not carry the same weight as Scripture.

YHVH's Holy Torah teaches us the proper way to live our lives and that Torah was never abolished.

Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus the Messiah) is YHVH. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless Torah-observant life and performed many miracles.

Yeshua's sacrificial death brought atonement for mankind.

Yeshua was resurrected and ascended to heaven to sit at the right-hand of YHVH.

Yeshua will return one day to effect the New Covenant, to reclaim the full borders of the land of Israel for His people, and to establish a 1000-year Messianic Kingdom here on earth.

Salvation is a free gift and is not earned through works.

Torah-Observant Judaism Statement of Faith
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:19 pm
Brown
I doubt we will hear from Moishe till after sundown Saturday. We are now into the Jewish Sabbath.
As far as your question regarding the "group," we will have to wait for his answer. However, being an orthodox Jew and belief in Jesus are totally incompatible. In fact no one who truly follows the religion at any level accepts Jesus.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:12 pm
au1929 wrote:
Moishe3rd
What level of orthodoxy do you follow? Hasidic?

No, but some of my best friends are Chasidic... Smile
I am a straightforward (Orthodox) Torah observant Jew.
Amongst observant MOT's, we might be referred to as "Litvaks," which is Lithuanian, but that is merely because the yeshivas were all in that part of the world, not because we are ethnically Lithuanian.
Back in the 20's, 30's and 40's, the immigrants and survivors from Europe largely discarded Torah observant Judaism. The Gedolim (Great Men) who tried to keep it alive were largely products of the Eastern European yeshivas. So, the mainstream Orthodox tradition today in the United States was built on that foundation. Therefore, you have a proliferation of yeshivas (Jewish high schools) and beis medrashim (Jewish "study halls" - continuing education after high schools) and kollels (Jewish married men who generally get paid, but in any event, learn Torah full time - sort of like a university). There are many different pieces of this Orthodox tradition - Agudah; the OU; NCSY; and Young Israel, just to mention a few.
It is those guys with the black fedoras who otherwise look like normal, well dressed businessmen. It's the boys with the black pants and white shirts who are wearing yarmulkes. It is fairy inclusive and the Chasidim and the sephardi often pray at an ordinary Orthodox synagogue, in the US at any rate.

ebrown:
I can only assume that you are attempting a bit of humor. Confused
If you are not, then I simply want to re-emphasize what I have previously stated. You, (and to be fair, 99% of humanity) have absolutely no idea of what Judaism is about.
The only commonality it might have with Christianity is that the Christian ethical foundations are rooted in the Torah and Judaism. Other than that, they are quite different. And, their ain't no Jesus in Judaism. Nada. Zilch. Not gonna happen. No way. No how...
0 Replies