Which Religion is the one truly most Murderous?

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:35 pm
I'm going to go with the obvious, Christianity. Now before you think i'm just copping out here, i want you to know that i've thought long and hard about this one. Sure, the Muslims gave it a good shot after the Prophet died, they overran the Sassanids, fought the Mother of All Battles in Persia, spread out over North Africa, and made a serious drive at the Roman Empire. But they kinda petered out after a while, and the slaughter fell to an embarrassingly low rate.

But when you look at Christianity, it's just breathtaking. From Charlemagne's forty years of slaugthering the pagan Saxons right up to the Serbs gunning down Bosnians and Kosovars, there's hardly been any let up. I think Christianity blows the competition right out of the water--literally!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,118 • Replies: 215
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:42 pm
Set - if you believe it, then so do I.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
Thanks, Boss, for your support. I guess its a no-brainer when you get right down to it. I was hoping for the god squad to show up and start ranting about the Muslims, though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
Oh ok. I'll stay over here and wait with you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:47 pm
No rantings from me today. Too tired from sparring with gunga on another thread.

It is interesting, however, that we Christians were given the edict to love our neighbours as ourselves and then we proceed to kill said neighbour. We have a long way to go.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:47 pm
And, we've been going the long way for a long time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
Intrepid, you include yourself among the members of the god squad ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid, you include yourself among the members of the god squad ? ! ? ! ?

I guess it depends on your definition of God squad. Yes, I am a Christian.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:50 pm
Naw, the god squad is the name i give to the religious ranters who run around here spewing fire and brimstone at all us heathens . . . i don't think you fit in . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
Naw, the god squad is the name i give to the religious ranters who run around here spewing fire and brimstone at all us heathens . . . i don't think you fit in . . .

Thanks for the update. No, I don't fit into that group. We Christians have a ways to go without ranting at the non-Christians. Our job should be to pray for those in need of it and give words of comfort where they are necessary. Spewing fire and brimstone should have ended in the old testament where we can last read of it. Wars are fought in the name of God and both sides claim to have God on their side. God is on the side of the righteous and he knows who they are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
Makin' a list and checkin' it twice?

Yesterday, the United Church of Christ's Synod approved gay marriage for those congregations which choose to allow it. In researching that for another thread, i came upon a web site of theirs, God is still speaking. There is a video you will see if you go there, and it is a refreshing look at how christianity ought to operate:

The United Church of Christ
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:08 pm
Setanta,
Our Church (not United) also welcomes everyone that wishes to come. It doesn't matter if a suit or dress is not worn as long as you wear something; whether you are blue, green, black, yellow, orange or gray; whether you are rich or poor; whether you put in a offering or you don't. Neither do we judge a persons sexuality.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:12 pm
Which part of "Thou shalt not kill." is so difficult to understand ?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:27 pm
My choice would be the religious organization identified in the book of Revelation, chapters 17 and 18.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:00 pm
its a tie.

the ideological siblings !

look up history.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:14 pm
Which religion is the most muderous today?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:19 pm
Hey Boss
back a couple years there was some posting about this topic - do you remember? I don't.

I remember some like with a chart spelling it all out - I was thinking that was your doing?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 11:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Which religion is the most muderous TODAY?

islam.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:27 am
Setanta wrote:
Makin' a list and checkin' it twice?

Yesterday, the United Church of Christ's Synod approved gay marriage for those congregations which choose to allow it. In researching that for another thread, i came upon a web site of theirs, God is still speaking. There is a video you will see if you go there, and it is a refreshing look at how christianity ought to operate:

The United Church of Christ

Set - one of my regrets as a parent is that I haven't been able to replicate the wonderfully loving and inclusive religious/churchgoing experience for my children that I had growing up. I've searched and searched - but had come to the conclusion that it doesn't exist anymore - different time - different world, in fact. And I've felt that it is a loss for them that saddens me, because my church in my childhood was an extension of my family that taught me through word and deed what it means to be a loving, compassionate, active member of society with a commitment to making the world a better and more loving place. And you're not gonna believe this but I went to a Southern Baptist church (in NJ of all places) throughout the sixties and seventies as a child and teen. I'd be afraid to set foot in a Southern Baptist church today - and would certainly not take my kids there - I just can't go along with all that they preach -so much of it against-and so little for. I've just decided to be my childrens' teacher and example and try to surround them with good, loving people who can help me with that. But I would like to go somewhere and sing hymns, now and then. :wink: I truly do miss that.

It saddens me though to see what modern Christianity has become - because I know that it can be so different - it could and should be an incredibly strong, loving and illuminating influence in the world. Maybe this Church you linked - who knows-there's always hope, right?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:04 am
Well, I've got to disagree with you on this one, Setanta, but only because of the wording of the question.

Murder is defined as unlawful killing. Presumably most of the killing done by Christians has been ordered or sanctioned by God, therefore it is not unlawful.
0 Replies