Which Religion is the one truly most Murderous?

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:46 am
Setanta, I read your post on "Brave new world" and also this. I'm realizing I've been guilty of the same thing.I need to step back and examine myself. "Find the faults in others and correct them in yourself"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:55 am
Thanks Set, it always amuses me that the divinity of Christ was arrived at by a show of hands at said council in Nicea.

What happened to the Christian Arian heresy?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:32 am
Setanta wrote:
Not necessarily the same bible, but close enough. Moishe is engaged in another of his enraged rants against the goyim--whether it's Muslims or Christians, he hates them all, and has a line of burroshit to back it all up.

The Roman Church, per se, did not exist in the third century--the late third and early fourth centuries is the era when Diocletian (the Roman Emperor) tried to exterminate Christianity. The work of Pamphilus and of Eusebius created the "new testament" as it exists today, and that was in the fourth century, and the church to which they adhered was the direct ancestor of the Orthodox Church, not the Roman Church. That the Roman Church was founded from the same source--the Council of Nicea in 325 CE--is coincidence, and not evidence for Moishe's bizarre rant. That council was convened by Constantine because the Christians were in an uproar over the controversial denial of the trinity and of the divinity of the alleged Jesus by Arius of Alexandria. The Emperor Constantine allowed the establishment of a Christian community within the Empire--and did not, as Christians allege, establish that religion as the state religion. Syriac and Nestorian Christians spread out all over the Middle East and Central Asia, reaching as far as China, before the Bishop of Rome was ever reputed to be the leader of the church. This is another example of how Moishe amplifies his resentments into wild statements, and of how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing--he reads enough history to attempt to support his wild statements, and not to learn anything approaching the truth.

When you read anything that Moishe writes, Amigo, keep in mind that he has a deep and abiding resentment of Christians, and hatred of Muslims.

Ah yes, well... I suppose the pejorative invective does make for authoritative reading... Rolling Eyes
Still so odd.

I am not quite sure how to put this...
The Roman Empire is generally referred to as Rome.
I have usually found that what is called the Roman Church was generally considered as founded by Constantine...
Constantine did remove the Roman Empire to the East (where it lasted another 1,000 years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire).
So, I suppose therefore that I should have been referring to the Eastern Roman Empire (which did not exist as a separate entity at that time) as opposed to the Church of Rome.
Then again, I have not been able to find a solid reference to what the church was called in the 3, 4, 5, 6, and 700's other than the Roman church. Perhaps the Ecumenical Christian Church of the Roman Empire?
Nonetheless, I was referring to Rome, as in the Roman Empire, as opposed to the city of Rome, which was not particularly significant to the origins of Chrisitianity.
The city of Rome, which later became the Roman Catholic Church; and, all of Christendom, which included the Eastern Orthodox tradition, had its origins in the dogma and dialect of the Church of the Roman Empire, which began in the East under Constantine. The dogma and dialectic of this Church was formulated in the 3, 4, and 500's.
The Roman Empire officially adopted Christianity as a state religon in 380 CE, under Emperor Theodosius.
The Church of the Roman Empire (The Christian Belief System That Was Supported by Roman Emperors Most of the Time?) was nonetheless, firmly established by this time, in spite of Diocletian's later attempts to bring back pagan worship.

In 313 CE, Emperor Constantine established the Edict of Milan, which made toleration for Christianity, formally considered a bad thing, into Law.
The rather famous Council of Nicea was held in 325 CE. Nicea was located in what is today Turkey; in what was to become the Eastern Roman Empire. This Council was held under the authority of Constantine, who was considered the Head of the Church (of Costantine the Christian Emperor?).
This Council was one of many that tried to establish official Church doctrine. It was called by the Emperor Constantine who was ticked off at his warring bishops who vehemently disagreed on the nature of Jesus, particularly whether he was: a man only; given divinity by G-d; G-d made man; divine from birth; divine from baptism; divine from death; and/or divine from resurrection.
Only about 250 to 318 bishops out of approximately the 1,800 bishops that then existed (in Christendom?) attended this Council. Most came from the Eastern half of the Roman Empire.
The Emperor Constantine, resolved the deadlocked, passionate, violent Council of Bishops by deciding in favor of one of the two most popular doctrines, which was the doctrine of Athanasius. The rest of the bishops were offered two options: agree with the Emperor or be exiled. This was not a matter of faith for Constantine. It was a matter of practicality in trying to keep peace in his Roman Empire.
This Council produced the Nicene Creed, which declared that Jesus was "of one substance with the Father," theorectically proclaiming his divinity.
However, many bishops and churches refused to recognize the Council's and the Emperor's decision.
The religion of Christianity was not yet fully formed...
The division of authority over east and west was also made at this time, by fiat, by the Emperor - the bishop of Alexandria in Egypt would have doctrinal authority over the eastern half of the empire and the bishop of Rome would have doctrinal authority over the western portion of the empire.
In 330 CE, Constantine decided to build a "New Rome" on the site of Byzantium - Constantinople. This became the center of the now, largely Christian Roman Empire.
Other Councils that decided Christian dogma and doctrine during this time period of the origins of Christianity were the Councils of: Laodicea; Constantinople; Carthage; Chalcedon; more Constantinople Councils; more Nicea Councils... These all lasted from Constantine through Justinian and Basil I in the 800's.
All Roman Emperors, including particularly Theodosius throughout the 300's, continued to issue decrees as to the nature of the Church and its doctrines. One (Diocletian) even outlawed Christianity.
The western bishops, today called the Roman Catholic Church, were under the aegis of this (Ecumenical Church of the Christian Roman Empire?) Church of Rome. They began to get feisty on doctrinal issues under the Second Council of Constantinople, in 553, and the Second Nicean Council, in 787, which was the last Council where the now two increasingly separate churches, of the East and West, were in agreement.

The main issue, which is separate from Setana's rather odd invective above, is that the idea that Jesus was G-d was declared as Church doctrine by one man, the Emperor Constantine, and was reinforced by a voting majority of bishops throughout the several hundred years that the Ecumenical Church of the Christian Roman Empire... (ah, the heck with it, you label it), the Church of Rome, was formulating its doctrines.
This is what Christianity is based upon.
There was a great deal of disagreement; heresy; head-breaking; excommunications; riotous meetings; and other unpleasantness, over a several hundred year period until whatever the heck you want to call the Christian church, agreed that Jesus was divine.
That's the fac' Jac.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:31 am
Thanks Moishe, I'll take it as gospel.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:34 am
And I think there were two bishops Eusebius? One an Arian heretic, the other one of the founders of the Christian church?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
That may well be, Steve, although i've not read of an Arian Eusebius. The reference to Pamphilus and Eusebius is significant, because Pamphilus was reputed to have a vast library of ancient texts, as well as of christian documents, in which both he and Eusebius studied to produce the "authorized" version of the christian cannon in use now by almost every christian sect.

The main promoters of the Arian creed were the Vandals and the Visigoths. They took ship and conquered North Africa and Iberia. Although not by any stretch of the imagination the sort of holy warriors Moishe constantly envisions for all conquerors after the dawn of history, they nevertheless maintained their doctrine until it was moribund among the general population of christians. Their overthrow by Muslims put paid to any survival of Arianism, at any event.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Ah yes, well... I suppose the pejorative invective does make for authoritative reading... Still so odd.

Were you not given to extravagent and unfounded statements about Christians and Muslims, which constitute pejorative invective, you might not read such passages.

Moishe previously wrote:
The only problem with your summation dia, is that without the Catholic Church, there is no Christianity.
Everything you believe comes from the dogma and dialect of the Roman Church, formulated in the 3, 4, and 500's.

This is simply not the truth. Your subsequent attempt to justify that baseless contention is as bankrupt as the bald assertion.

Quote:
I am not quite sure how to put this...

I will never believe a contention that you are at loss for words. Rather the opposite is usually the case.

Quote:
The Roman Empire is generally referred to as Rome.

This is a speciouly oversimplification of customary historical reference which in no wise authorizes your silly assertion that all of Christianity derives from the Roman Church, which is a specific creed distinct from so many others which pre-date the Protestant Reformation.

Quote:
I have usually found that what is called the Roman Church was generally considered as founded by Constantine...

I can't imagine where you "found" that, but you should put it back, because it's a phoney. The direct descendant of the church in which Pamphilus and Eusebius considered themselves to be members is the Orthodox Church. The slightly different credo which evolved in Constantinople over centuries thereafter is referred to as Byzantine Catholicism, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Constantine did remove the Roman Empire to the East (where it lasted another 1,000 years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire).

This is another facile statment for two reasons. First, Constantine removed nothing, he founded a second captial at Byzantium, renamed Constantinople, and erected two parallel administrations, one there and one at Rome, the latter of which was soon after moved to Ravenna, as being more defensible and with better sea-borne communications with Illyria (the main Roman recruiting ground in that era) and the East. The Empire in the west did not "fall" and your millenial reference suggests that the sack of Rome by Alaric and the Goths in 410 CE was the event to be considered the "fall" of the western Empire. There weren't two Empires, there was simply one with two administrative centers. At the time of the sack of Rome by the Goths, the administrative center in the west was at Ravenna. The imperial authority in the west eroded and then finally collapsed after the invasion of Italy by the Lombards. This is typical of your shallow understanding of historical events, with which you prop up your silly and vicious statements about Christianity and Islam. Which is why i will go no further here, and in general find it tedious to respond to your self-serving fairty tales about history.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:30 pm
Amigo wrote:
catholic,christian, it's still the dude in the sheet.Same bible right?

LOL! Amigo, what **IS** Question it with this "dude in the sheet"?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
Jesus the dude in the sheet and sandals.Not gold rings and cadallacs
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
Amigo wrote:
Jesus the dude in the sheet and sandals.Not gold rings and cadallacs

ROTFL! OK, Amigo, now I get it. ROTFL!

But seriously, you're right about "not gold rings and cadillacs." In 2 CORINTHIANS 8:9, it says, "...the Lord Jesus Christ, Who, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might be rich." The Greek verb for "He became poor" literally means "became a beggar." That's how much He loved us when He came in the flesh and then died in our stead on the Cross.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:26 pm
PS: (At the risk of running into another thread that's already going) Yes, "same Bible," but some crucial differences in doctrine, the most important being (in my estimation) the Catholic teaching of Mary as co-mediatrix. The Bible tells us very clearly that "there is ONE mediator between God and men, the MAN Christ Jesus." (1 TIMOTHY 2:5)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:30 pm
I always enjoy a good bible verse. Smile
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:56 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:
The only problem with your summation dia, is that without the Catholic Church, there is no Christianity.
Everything you believe comes from the dogma and dialect of the Roman Church, formulated in the 3, 4, and 500's.
Now, admittedly, modern day American Christianity has modified many of the virulent teachings of the Church, but the entire theology is still rooted in the Church. They created Christianity. Without the Roman Church, there is no Christianity.

Moishe, Setanta has already provided an excellent corrective of your erroneous notions, but I want to add only a few other quick points:

1. The dating of the New Testament writings. (See below, from Wikipedia) LONG before the RCC ever got started, there were Christians, and they took their doctrines from what now is termed the New Testament.

2. You do not know "everything" I believe (in the same way you rightly corrected us about not knowing about Judaism)----altho you DO know that I very much believe in the moral/ethical teachings of D & L! :wink:

3. You are discounting the Protestant Reformation, the Inquisition and the 30 Years War (people who agree on doctrine do NOT persecute one another or have schisms or go to war)

Quote:
Date of composition

According to tradition, the earliest of the books were the letters of Paul, and the last books to be written are those attributed to John, who is traditionally said to have lived to a very old age, perhaps dying as late as 100, although evidence for this tradition is generally not convincing. Irenaeus of Lyons, c. 185, stated that the Gospels of Matthew and Mark were written while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome, which would be in the 60s, and Luke was written some time later. Evangelical and Traditionalist scholars continue to support this dating.

Some other modern critical scholars concur with the dating of the majority of the New Testament, except for the epistles and books that they consider to be pseudepigraphical (i.e. those thought not to be written by their traditional authors). Some do not. For the Gospels, they tend to date Mark no earlier than 65, and Matthew some time between 70-85. Luke is usually placed in the 80-95 time frame. The earliest of the books of the New Testament was 1 Thessalonians, an epistle of Paul, written probably 51, or possibly Galatians in 49 according to one of two theories of its writing. Of the pseudepigraphical epistles, Christian scholars tend to place them somewhere between 70 and 150, with 2 Peter usually being the latest.

However, John A. T. Robinson, Redating the New Testament (1976), proposed that all of the New Testament was completed before 70, the year the temple at Jerusalem was destroyed. Robinson argued that because the destruction of the temple was prophesied by Jesus in Matthew 24:15-21 and Luke 23:28-31, the authors of these and other New Testament books would not have failed to point out the fulfillment of this prophecy. Robinson's position is popular among some Evangelicals.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:01 am
diagknowz wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
Now, admittedly, modern day American Christianity has modified many of the virulent teachings of the Church, but the entire theology is still rooted in the Church. They created Christianity. Without the Roman Church, there is no Christianity.

Moishe, Setanta has already provided an excellent corrective of your erroneous notions, but I want to add only a few other quick points:

1. The dating of the New Testament writings. (See below, from Wikipedia) LONG before the RCC ever got started, there were Christians, and they took their doctrines from what now is termed the New Testament.

2. You do not know "everything" I believe (in the same way you rightly corrected us about not knowing about Judaism)----altho you DO know that I very much believe in the moral/ethical teachings of D & L! :wink:

3. You are discounting the Protestant Reformation, the Inquisition and the 30 Years War (people who agree on doctrine do NOT persecute one another or have schisms or go to war)

Quote:
Date of composition

According to tradition, the earliest of the books were the letters of Paul, and the last books to be written are those attributed to John, who is traditionally said to have lived to a very old age, perhaps dying as late as 100, although evidence for this tradition is generally not convincing. Irenaeus of Lyons, c. 185, stated that the Gospels of Matthew and Mark were written while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome, which would be in the 60s, and Luke was written some time later. Evangelical and Traditionalist scholars continue to support this dating.

Some other modern critical scholars concur with the dating of the majority of the New Testament, except for the epistles and books that they consider to be pseudepigraphical (i.e. those thought not to be written by their traditional authors). Some do not. For the Gospels, they tend to date Mark no earlier than 65, and Matthew some time between 70-85. Luke is usually placed in the 80-95 time frame. The earliest of the books of the New Testament was 1 Thessalonians, an epistle of Paul, written probably 51, or possibly Galatians in 49 according to one of two theories of its writing. Of the pseudepigraphical epistles, Christian scholars tend to place them somewhere between 70 and 150, with 2 Peter usually being the latest.

However, John A. T. Robinson, Redating the New Testament (1976), proposed that all of the New Testament was completed before 70, the year the temple at Jerusalem was destroyed. Robinson argued that because the destruction of the temple was prophesied by Jesus in Matthew 24:15-21 and Luke 23:28-31, the authors of these and other New Testament books would not have failed to point out the fulfillment of this prophecy. Robinson's position is popular among some Evangelicals.

Mea Culpa; Mea Culpa; Mea Maxima Culpa...
What I have here is a failure to communicate.
Simple statement:
The Christian belief that Jesus is G-d was initially made into a Christian theological statement by Emperor Constantine and his bishops. This belief was created and modified over a period of several hundred years.

Addendum to Simple Statement:
All of Christianity today is based upon this intial belief.

Conclusion: Without the initial adoption of Christianity by the Emperor Constatine; and the process whereby he determined that Jesus was G-d; and the additional processes that came before and after him regarding this question; there would be no Christianity.

Okay?
Sheesh... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Moishe, Moishe, what ah we going ta do with ya, dahlink? Laughing It seems ta me, ya need ta just sit down and read the second half of the Bible, OK? (Merely for accuracy's sake, as I might read a midrash to better understand a passage in the Tanakh.)

(1) Jesus Himself received worship:

JOHN 6:69 "and we have come to believe and know that You are the Holy One of God!"

JOHN 9:37 Jesus answered, "You have both seen Him and He is the One speaking with you." "I believe, Lord!" he said, and he worshiped Him.

MATTHEW 8:2: there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

9:18 While He spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped Him...

16:16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!"

28:17 When they saw Him, they worshipped.....

(2) He called Himself the Great I Am: "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM." (JOHN 8:58)

(3) Paul, writing wayyyyy before Constantine, tells us:

"...in Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together...For in Him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell..." (COLOSSIANS 1:16)

"....while we wait for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." (TITUS 2:13)

Christian doctrine comes from the part of the Bible called the "New Testament," which ****PRECEDES**** Constantine.

Sheesh, now I know why He spoke of a stiff-necked people (but here's a secret for you: I'm just as stiff-necked, bec. I've got the same ethnic history on both sides of my family. On my mother's side, they only survived the Nazis bec. they could clear themselves for enough generations, and bec. my wily great-grandfather spread a rumor in his town about their name coming from Swedish roots).
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:55 pm
diagknowz wrote:
Moishe, Moishe, what ah we going ta do with ya, dahlink? Laughing It seems ta me, ya need ta just sit down and read the second half of the Bible, OK? (Merely for accuracy's sake, as I might read a midrash to better understand a passage in the Tanakh.)

(1) Jesus Himself received worship:

JOHN 6:69 "and we have come to believe and know that You are the Holy One of God!"

JOHN 9:37 Jesus answered, "You have both seen Him and He is the One speaking with you." "I believe, Lord!" he said, and he worshiped Him.

MATTHEW 8:2: there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

9:18 While He spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped Him...

16:16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!"

28:17 When they saw Him, they worshipped.....

(2) He called Himself the Great I Am: "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM." (JOHN 8:58)

(3) Paul, writing wayyyyy before Constantine, tells us:

"...in Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together...For in Him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell..." (COLOSSIANS 1:16)

"....while we wait for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." (TITUS 2:13)

Christian doctrine comes from the part of the Bible called the "New Testament," which ****PRECEDES**** Constantine.

Sheesh, now I know why He spoke of a stiff-necked people (but here's a secret for you: I'm just as stiff-necked, bec. I've got the same ethnic history on both sides of my family. On my mother's side, they only survived the Nazis bec. they could clear themselves for enough generations, and bec. my wily great-grandfather spread a rumor in his town about their name coming from Swedish roots).

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now, you are cracking me up.
Believe all beautiful things.
This is good.
Nonetheless, for some odd reason, you don't believe that the bishops decided on whether or not Jesus was divine...
S'okay.
(Just for your edification - your Titus quote is the only one that indicates that Jesus is G-d. However, your translation is incorrect - the words are "...of the Great G-d and Our Savior Jesus..."
0 Replies