US Supreme Court confirms LGBT rights!

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 08:36 am
NBC News wrote:
In decisions on two separate cases, the court said Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which makes it illegal for employers to discriminate because of a person's sex, among other factors, also covers sexual orientation and transgender status. It upheld rulings from lower courts that said discrimination based on those factors was a form of sex discrimination.

This is a pretty big deal for those of us who care about people in the LGBT community. It was a 6-3 decision (Roberts and Gorsuch joining the liberals).

This is a decision that we have been waiting for!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 7

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 08:53 am
@maxdancona,
I'm also delighted that some of the conservatives could join this decision.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 09:03 am
I am worried about the DACA decision (and waiting anxiously... someone I care about very much currently has DACA protection). Honestly speaking, I think the other side has a stronger legal case on this one.

I am afraid we are going to have to tie this up politically, win the election, and then fix this in the legislature.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
Gorsuch wrote:
“Those who adopted the Civil Rights Act might not have anticipated their work would lead to this particular result. Likely, they weren’t thinking about many of the Act’s consequences that have become apparent over the years, including its prohibition against discrimination on the basis of motherhood or its ban on the sexual harassment of male employees,” Gorsuch wrote in his 43-page opinion. “But the limits of the drafters’ imagination supply no reason to ignore the law’s demands. When the express terms of a statute give us one answer and extratextual considerations suggest another, it’s no contest. Only the written word is the law, and all persons are entitled to its benefit.”

Gorsuch suddenly got more interesting.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 11:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am worried about the DACA decision (and waiting anxiously... someone I care about very much currently has DACA protection). Honestly speaking, I think the other side has a stronger legal case on this one.

I am afraid we are going to have to tie this up politically, win the election, and then fix this in the legislature.

Your best bet at this point is to give Mr. Trump all the money he wants for a border wall in exchange for a full and permanent DACA fix.

It's probably too late to try to mend fences with the moderate Republican senators who once wanted to fix DACA before Mr. Obama undermined them. But that would be your second-best choice.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 12:46 pm
@oralloy,
I think my best bet is to see Trump defeated in the elections.

You are going to say (predictably) that Trump has zero chance to lose the election because guns. But, the polls and everything else says otherwise.

We will see of course.

(And... wasn't Mexico going to pay for the wall?)
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I think my best bet is to see Trump defeated in the elections.

If Mr. Trump is defeated, you will then need to find a way to rebuild bridges with the moderate Republican Senators whose support you will need in order to pass real reform.

It was kind of foolish of you to burn those bridges in the first place. You could have had reform legislation passed into law back in 2015, but you threw it all away for no reason at all.

Good luck trying to rebuild them.

maxdancona wrote:
You are going to say (predictably) that Trump has zero chance to lose the election because guns.

Guns are the best reason why people should vote for Mr. Trump, but people will vote for Mr. Trump for many reasons.

maxdancona wrote:
We will see of course.

I think we're going to see DACA reform legislation not be passed into law, as you consistently undermine all attempts to pass such legislation.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 02:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

(And... wasn't Mexico going to pay for the wall?)

Yeah, that was a bit of a pisser... One of the few campaign promises made not seen through. At least the dude tried though. Congress got in the way.
0 Replies