Christians: What are the most successful and pop Christian cartoons, comics and video games to date?

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 06:29 pm
Hi. As someone interested in producing his own animation and comics I am curious about this. It would be nice if there were more Christian forms of entertainment that took off and had mainstream appeal. They should produce more Christian entertainment that wins people over to Christ. The world needs more stuff like this.

Passion of the Christ was a good film..

Hollywood produces films based on stories in the Bible but a lot of times the films are not biblically-accurate.

What are the most successful Christian cartoons, comics and video games to date?

I was trying to do some research on this.

A series like Veggie Tales is a bad idea. I think this series belittles the Gospel message and I doubt kids take this series seriously. They should not be using anthropomorphic characters to convey the Gospel message to kids.

I don't know too much about Christian comics and I don't know of any that are popular and successful off-hand.

Many Christian video games are poorly made, get bad reviews and fall into obscurity.

Christians need to be led by the Spirit regarding whatever projects they make.

Christian stuff should be realistic and presented in a matter that even kids can understand it.

In a manner that pleases God.

It needs to convey the Gospel message.

You want general audiences to take your stuff seriously.

There needs to be an annointing on it.

Christians can work on projects that aren't based on books in the Bible, although there is a need for that and there are certain stories in the Bible that haven't been adapted into anything as far as I know.

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 6,909 • Replies: 65

View best answer, chosen by JGoldman10
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 07:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Moral Orel

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 07:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Strange that you like The Passion of the Christ, seeing as it was directed, produced, and paid for by Mel Gibson, a very outspoken Catholic.
Gibson's recent film, Hacksaw Ridge (about the true story of a pacifist medic in WWII) was a good Christian film, despite the blood and gore.

I cannot think of any popular Christian works, not counting Veggie Tales. I can barely think of any good Christian works.

There are works created by Christians, but they are not overtly religious or preachy.

For example, author Brandon Sanderson is Mormon. As such, his books does have some religious themes. For example, his fantasy novel The Way of Kings has one main character relying on his faith to The Almighty, and still willing to follow the holy text despite being seen as outdated by others.

Sanderson's crime novel Legion has two characters trying to find balance between being Christian and being a scientist that could contradict those beliefs.

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
A lot of Christians saw Passion. A lot of people got Saved through watching that movie.

A lot of people got Saved watching The Jesus Movie from the '70s.

I thought Gibson was a Christian.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:22 pm
I recall watching the Omega Code movies- The Omega Code and Meggido: Omega Code 2. These were intended for mature audiences and a Christian film company made these. However I don't recall how biblically-accurate they were.

These movies were produced by Matthew Crouch from TBN. Crouch came under fire not that long ago because he used money that was supposed to help and fund his ministry and the TBN network to produce these movies.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 08:29 pm
The title of the thread should have read:

Christians: What are the most successful and popular Christian cartoons, comics and video games to date?

-FIXED.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 07:15 am
@JGoldman10,
The best media productions that have carried Christ's message are usually not identifiable as 'Christian'.
That said, the message that Christ personally gave us is not what most would consider 'Christian'.

I’m currently playing'Death Stranding' which has some promising aspects in it, although I’m far from the end yet.

As a tool for those that would like to try creating, 'Dreams' for PS4 is incredible.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 07:23 am
@JGoldman10,
I like the Chick Tracts:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcbldf.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F10%2Flowgradecondoms.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I think they helped many people understand the true essence of christianism.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 08:24 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

A lot of Christians saw Passion. A lot of people got Saved through watching that movie.

A lot of people got Saved watching The Jesus Movie from the '70s.

Please cite your sources.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Look at Charlottesville, loads of ‘saved’ people waving swastikas and chanting “The Jews will not replace us.”
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 09:20 am
@tsarstepan,
Apparently, The Jesus Movie is the most watched film in history, being seen by 2 billion people.

For some context:
"The reason [for the claim] is simply the work of an American evangelical organisation, Campus Crusade. Funded by its supporters and well-wishers, it sends teams around the world, even where they are not particularly welcome. There they record new translations of the film, organise screenings to inquisitive crowds in improvised cinemas, and distribute copies to whoever they can.

Rather than concentrate on places like the UK, its focus is on the far corners of the world, although it has of late been sending unsolicited VHS copies to US households."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3076809.stm

So while it is not particularly popular in Western countries like the United States and the United Kingdom, it has been shown in impoverished areas as part of missionary activities.

Obviously, it is popular with Christian groups, who saw the film at their churches. According to Wikipedia:
"To promote the film, Paul Eshleman worked with both evangelical and Catholic churches to arrange group trips and discounts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(1979_film)

However, I can't find concrete numbers about how many people were Saved or converted into Christianity.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 09:35 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
It needs to convey the Gospel message.

You want general audiences to take your stuff seriously.

There needs to be an annointing on it.

Some of my Evangelical friends love The Matrix. It has a group of "chosen" who understand the Truth that no one around them comprehends.

And yes, there was an annointing....

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:06 am
@maxdancona,
Stories with a Chosen One or a savior of a group are bound to be compared to or inspired by Biblical figures, more often than not Jesus.

I just finished Dune by Frank Herbert and the main character Paul is seen by the religious Fremen as their savior and is indeed the Chosen One (known as the Kwizatz Haderach) based on his mother and her sect's religious beliefs.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
...Passion. A lot of people got Saved...

Quote:
A lot of people got Saved watching The Jesus Movie...

Would that be the 1979 thing known as The Jesus Film?
Never saw it or had heard of it. Then again, parts of the 70s are missing from my memory files.

Never bothered with The Passion of the Christ either. Since it was from the known hater of Jewish people (and probably loads of others), it seemed senseless to waste time on a fictionalized version, designed and publicized for monetary gain more than spiritual.

As for people being saved, you have no proof. Often times folks say they have been saved or are reborn. They continue to lie, cheat and commit other things known as sins in the eyes of God, so their words aren't worth much. I prefer good people who live decent lives, helping others and not boasting or patting themselves on the back.

My sojourn into Christian films was Godspell. An enjoyable experience. Of course, you might not approve as I saw it with a Catholic and and agnostic...

Not to mention (although I shall), Victor Garber played the role of Jesus and as you must be aware, Mr.Garber is a homosexual. Would that be against your value ...even if Mr Garber was an is Saved?

years before then, I went to see a movie at The Paramount Theater titled For Pete's Sake (1966). It included The Right Reverend Billy Graham.
(in no way related to a Streisand movie of the same name a few years later)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:44 pm
I always get confused between "The Passion of the Christ" and "The Last Temptation of the Christ". These were apparently two very different movies.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
..it has,of late been sending unsolicited VHS copies to US households.

The Jerry Falwell Ministries did that sort of thing a few times back in the 90s. I was a recipient of such. Never viewed them though. I had however watched Falwell's program on the television a number of times in the 80s.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:47 pm
@maxdancona,
I wouldn't know. Saw neither.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:15 pm
There is a theme of the brutality faced by Christ that is popular with evangelical Christians (I think you know that I come from that world).

Depictions of the crucifixion are quite popular, the more graphic, bloody, horrible the better with close-ups of the nails being pounded through his wrists and long thorns pushed through his scalp. They are quite gory and designed to be shocking.

I kind of get the idea... the suffering of the Christ is a key doctrine, and you are supposed to feel the weight of Jesus paying for your sins.

Even when I was a believer, I never thought these were very useful.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I always get confused between "The Passion of the Christ" and "The Last Temptation of the Christ". These were apparently two very different movies.

Really. Last Temptation of Christ was blasphemous, like Jesus Christ Superstar. I watched the latter with my dad as a kid. Superstar was done like a rock opera that took place in the '60s/'70s.

Passion was historically-accurate.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:36 pm
Time Changer is an old Christian film about a college professor from the late 1800's who writes a manuscript about good morals without Christ. He gets sent over a hundred years into the future to show where his beliefs will lead him.