Dirty Slang: Who Thought of THAT?

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:11 pm
So I'm listening to some 80's music and the song "Walk this Way" comes on. There is a part that goes :
"Seesaw swingin' with the boys in the school
And your feet flyin' up in the air
Singin' hey diddle diddle
With your kitty in the middle of the swing like you didn't care"

And it made me think (the kitty in the middle part), who came up with the names for our privates? D*ck, C*ck, P*ssy...why those? I can see where "sausage" came from and even "taco" but the others just really don't make sense.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,962 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:20 pm
That's a great question. I will happily begin researching. I know that in French, your penis (well not yours, Bella) can be humorously and affectionately called Charles le Chauve (after the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles The Bald). It wouldn't surprise me if Dick has similar roots.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:02 pm
........and in French, the female front bottom is "Chat", so it's basically the same as our nickname.

A slang word for penis in French is "bite" (sp?)...pronounced beet.

I know this as I was once joking around with my french sister in law, and pointed to a mosquito bite and said in my best Clouseau accent..." Oh look, I 'ave a beet on ma leg", at which she spat her drink out.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:05 pm
D*ck I havent a clue.
C*ck, maybe because one doodle do's with it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:09 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
D*ck I havent a clue.
C*ck, maybe because one doodle do's with it.

Good one....good one... Laughing
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:29 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
........and in French, the female front bottom is "Chat", so it's basically the same as our nickname.

It figures; the internet is the closest I've been to getting to any chat lately.
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:32 pm
Re: Dirty Slang: Who Thought of THAT?
Bella Dea wrote:
So I'm listening to some 80's music and the song "Walk this Way" comes on. There is a part that goes :
"Seesaw swingin' with the boys in the school
And your feet flyin' up in the air
Singin' hey diddle diddle
With your kitty in the middle of the swing like you didn't care"

And it made me think (the kitty in the middle part), who came up with the names for our privates? D*ck, C*ck, P*ssy...why those? I can see where "sausage" came from and even "taco" but the others just really don't make sense.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I heard someone say kitty cat. Laughing
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:35 pm
I hope you slapped him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:41 pm
According to Wikipedia:

pussy

The origins of the term in the vulgar sense are disputed, although Webster's Third International Dictionary traces the root to the Old Norse puss, cognate with purse and also cites the Low Germanic puse meaning "vulva" and the Scandinavian puss with the same meaning.

No luck yet on the others . . .
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
I was just about to post that. The others are indeed elusive.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:45 pm
FornificationUnderConsent of theKing.

So now you know. I'm tired and I get loose tongued. Sorry.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:50 pm
From the Straight Dope (on dick):

Quote:
Dear Straight Dope:

Which Dick came first?

OK, so if this isn't too crude of an opener, I will explain myself. My question is a simple one, but one that has troubled me for many years. I am puzzled as to which of these events occurred:

1. Someone (somebody had to be first didn't they?) named Richard thought it was a grand idea to go by a nickname which was also slang for the male genitalia "penis."

2. Penis slang was personified for someone nicknamed Dick who perhaps resembled in appearance or actions the male genitalia.

3. Some "coincidence" which cannot be explained.

Adding to the uniqueness of this nickname is that Dick only shares two letters with Richard. Can you imagine for example "Pussy" being an acceptable nickname for Priscilla. Or "Tits" for Theresa. Perhaps "Ass" for Osama is on the way into the language and we don't even know it yet. --Justin aka "Kneecap"
SDSTAFF Dex replies:

Sure, or perhaps "to Cecil" will come to mean "to be wise beyond one's years."

Obviously the name came first. The name Richard is very old, although its origin is disputed. Old English had Richeard, from Ric (ruler) and heard (hard); French had Richart, and Old German had Ricohard. The name Richer was also fairly common until the 13th Century or thereabouts.

In those days, manuscripts, letters, grocery lists, and everything else was written by hand; it was therefore common and easier to use agreed-upon abbreviations. "Rich." was used for "Richer" and "Ric." for "Richard" or "Ricard."

Richard and Ricard were equally popular in the Middle Ages, and the abbreviations led naturally to diminutives--such as Rich, Richie, Rick, and Ricket. Rhyming nicknames were also fairly common in the 12th and 13th centuries, and so we also have Hitch from Rich, Hick and Dick from Rick, and Hicket from Ricket. Some of these later became surnames or parts of surnames. We note that while Dick endures as a nickname, "Hick" has thankfully become obsolete, except when tied to "Dick" in rhymes such as "Hickory, Dickory, Dock."

In the 13th and 14th centuries, "Hick" evolved, however improbably, into "Hudde," from which derives surnames such as "Hudson." W. Bardsley's masterful work, Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames (1901) cites a Latin manuscript that mentions "Ricardus dictus Hudde de Walkden."

Back at the ranch, Dick and Hick were among the earliest of the rhyming nicknames, first appearing in writing around 1220. Other rhyming nicknames include Polly from Molly, Bob from Rob (from Robert), Bill from Will (from William); and Hodge from Roger.

The name Dick (like the name Jack) was used colloquially to mean a man or everyman. The expression "every Tom, Dick, or Harry" attests to the this as a long-established usage; Shakespeare uses "every Tom, Dick, or Francis" in Henry IV Part I.

From the usage of Dick to mean average person, other usages appeared. Many other usages. The Oxford English Dictionary cites a dick as meaning a type of hard cheese in 1847, which lead to the usage of "spotted dick" (to be dealt with in an upcoming Staff Report.) The term "dick" was also used to mean a riding whip, an apron, the mound around a ditch, and an abbreviation for "dictionary" around 1860.

Dick also meant a declaration, in which sense the OED cites someone writing in 1878 "I'd take my dying dick" to mean "I'd swear a dying declaration." The term "dick" came to mean policeman around 1908, and then detective.

And we finally get to where you started. The use of "dick" as coarse slang for penis first arises around 1890. Tracking the history of uncouth words is not easy, since such expressions were not generally written down. How "dick" came to be associated with penis is not known, although the riding whip may have pointed the way.

So there you have it.

--SDSTAFF Dex
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:13 pm
Letty wrote:
FornificationUnderConsent of theKing.

So now you know. I'm tired and I get loose tongued. Sorry.

Sorry Miss Letty, but it just ain't so . . .

There are some urban legends postulating an acronymic origin for the word. In the most popular version, it is said that the word "f*ck" came from Irish law. If a couple were "Found Under Carnal Knowledge" they would be penalized, with F*CK as the crime. Other variants include the ideas that the word came from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," "Fornication Under Consent of the King," or "Fornication Unlawful in the Commonwealth of the King." However, all these explanations are considered to be "backronyms" and hence recent inventions.

Source of the entry above.

Wikipedia's entry quotes the American Heritage Dictionary:

The first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, "Flen flyys", from the first words of its opening line, "Flen, flyys, and freris"; that is, "Fleas, flies, and friars". The line that contains f*ck reads "Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk." The Latin words "Non sunt in coeli, quia," mean "They (the friars) are not in heaven, since." The code "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk" is easily broken by simply substituting the preceding letter in the alphabet, keeping in mind differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now: i was then used for both i and j; v was used for both u and v; and two v's were used for w. This yields "fvccant (a fake Latin form) vvivys of heli." The whole thus reads in translation: "They are not in heaven since they f*ck wives of Ely (a town near Cambridge)."

Please note that i have used "f*ck" so that it will pass the filters here--if you go to the links i've provided, you can see the word in all its glory.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
There is a European basketball player with the unfortunate name of Gregor Fucka. These confounded filters make it impossible to talk about him. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:30 pm
purse purse purse
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:54 pm
you are such a dirty girl . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
The word Foreskin is obvious in its origin, but the ancient Hebrew word for this is "Schlem", which basically means "luggage".

After performing a circumcision, the Rabbi would sell on the "schlem" to a "Schlemmen", who would sew them together to make something that we now know as a handbag (or purse in America, I believe).

These would sell for a lot of money, as they served a dual purpose.

The schlem handbag was very useful for nipping down to the local Bazaar to do one's daily shop, yet when stroked, it would turn itself into a suitcase for one's holiday trips abroad.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:22 am
Quote:
There is a European basketball player with the unfortunate name of Gregor Fucka. These confounded filters make it impossible to talk about him. :wink:

i bet they all go around pronouncing it "fookuh", the cowards...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:47 am
Know what is amazing to me? It is not so much the word itself, but the connotation that has the power to incite.

Anyway, the dispassionate discussion of euphemisms is interesting.

We have material girl to recognize for the exploration.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:36 am
Wow, I am impressed! You learn something new every day!!
0 Replies