Shoot me and put me out of my misery

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:53 pm
Yes, I agree with that. It confuses the hell out of people and is, in its way, being true to yourself and what is right.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:41 pm
Yep, that EG is very insightful. I did back him up once on something and we were subsequently both overruled by PL. I don't think he was very grateful, but I don't think there's an alternative to that. After all, I just want to get the damn project done and I want it to be good, so a good idea is a good idea.

He once made a suggestion to me about something I hadn't thought of and I told him, "hey that's a good idea" and actually did implement it. It was an exercise for me in not being stubborn. This was while PL was on vacation. That's why I really feel like PL is part of the problem -- either because he's trying to impress him or because of the earlier mentioned issues.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:42 pm
I think pl is the main problem..

and that might affect your actions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
But, listen, for a interesting read, check out the book Slab Rat by Ted Heller. I just finished it, and this thread and that book remind me of each other. I gave a link on another topic, back with it in a minute.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:45 pm
Yeah, something's up with PL.

I think part of E.G.'s plan is to force that issue -- to make PL admit* that he should be dealing with DW.

Is PL the one who hired DW in the first place?

*Not admit to you, more like admit to himself. To force him to realize that there are issues he is not handling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:47 pm
Slab Rat by Ted Heller
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:00 pm
Interesting question. PL gave DW very high marks after the interview. I was around and actually overheard almost all of the discussion about him. The project manager was cautious because of the imbalance between education and experience -- in some places I've worked that was a red flag and I agreed (silently, they had forgotten I was there) with his thoughts. PL pulled for him and talked the pm into it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:06 pm
Thanks for the link, osso. Amazon had a very interesting review of the book and I definitely see the similarities.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:08 pm
Oh, that fits even better. Makes a lot of sense. It seemed like the PL had some kind of vested interest, was wondering what it was. If he is the one that argued for the hire, that means that DW's success reflects directly on the PL (and his failure[s], too).

Oof, makes it harder for you, though. The E.G. plan still has that double-whammy of teaching DW a lesson and also forcing PL's hand without it being directly traceable to you (you were just prepared and right).

I guess nobody higher than the PL is usually at these meetings?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:21 pm
No, and they are usually very informal meetings that are little more than cube gatherings.

I'm still working on the EG plan. I have to pick one or two areas in order to narrow it down to something I can be completely prepared for.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:09 pm
I read the Heller book in a day and a half, couldn't help it, though there are a few slowish parts, the slowish parts matter.

Well, the protagonist of that book is not you, free duck, so there is limited interest that way... still, it is a bath of whatgoeson.

My dad got aced out of a key ad agency position in the early fifties, which I ascribe now to his innocence, but that was at the beginning of a lot of the elevated internecine foofooraw. Not that there weren't precedents.

But never mind the high flying world, I see some of these episodes as reminiscent of things in my laboratory days, and architecture days. In other words, as routine....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:39 pm
Free Duck --

Just wanted to express my support. I'm sorry you've had to put up with so much aggravation from that arrogant snot.

I'm impressed by how patient and professional you've been towards him. Great job!

You've gotton plenty of great advice, I have nothing to add -- except that I'm inspired by the brilliant women here (great story, Heeven!). I'm going to keep reading this thread, because I'm inspired by you too, Free Duck. Unlike the arrogant snot, I'm more than willing to learn from you!

Hang in there, I'm pulling for ya!

Just one thing -- you might want to give that guy a good kick in the ding dong! Razz
0 Replies

p larue

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:14 pm
The Obnoxious Know-It-All
There's a good book for you to get your hands on. I think you can get it from Amazon.... It's called, "Tools for Talking When the Stakes are High"

You need to develop some tools, and quickly, for dealing with this guy. You don't need to be in a contest everyday. Talk to him maybe about - does he like sports? Put it in that context, and then tell him you want to work with him as a team-member, not an adversary. Maybe just smile at him a lot and reassure him that his IQ has not gone unnoticed, but you are the team leader, and you are okay with listening to his input, but you do have a lot more wisdom. He sounds insecure.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:23 am
Re: The Obnoxious Know-It-All
p larue wrote:
There's a good book for you to get your hands on. I think you can get it from Amazon.... It's called, "Tools for Talking When the Stakes are High"

You need to develop some tools, and quickly, for dealing with this guy. You don't need to be in a contest everyday. Talk to him maybe about - does he like sports? Put it in that context, and then tell him you want to work with him as a team-member, not an adversary. Maybe just smile at him a lot and reassure him that his IQ has not gone unnoticed, but you are the team leader, and you are okay with listening to his input, but you do have a lot more wisdom. He sounds insecure.

Hey thanks for the advice. No, he doesn't like sports and has very few outside interests. To make it worse, the interests he does have are ones that I consider "snooty" and elitist, which generally fits his personality. No-one else on the team has anything in common with him either. Humor has helped a lot. I've learned that you can say things that would otherwise be very insulting as long as you make it funny and a little bit self-deprecating.

But to update you on the situation, I've found another job for better pay with a better company. One that doesn't hire wet-behind-the-ears just-grads and give them responsibilities that are disproportionate to their abilities.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:59 am
Excellent news FreeDuck.

Now wait ... they will be saying "WHY are you leaving?" like everything is perfect and you are nutso for wanting to go elsewhere. Jeez, some people really think their **** don't stink.

I've learned that you can say things that would otherwise be very insulting as long as you make it funny and a little bit self-deprecating.

Can I say, I TOTALLY agree with that statement. It's like it came out of my mouth! Freaky.
0 Replies