Besides fish and potatoes what foods are considered brain foods?

Tue 3 Mar, 2020 12:49 pm
Hi. I am not an expert on diet and nutrition. I am somewhat health-conscious and I need some help with this.

According to some research I did, pototoes are good for neurological reasons.

Fish supposedly improves memory function and has antioxidants in it. Some sources say tuna is good for you but others say sardines are healthier. Why? Sardines, unlike tuna, doesn't have a high mercury content. Tuna is high in mercury, especially the solid white variety. Mercury can be very toxic to humans. I've read somewhere tuna is okay in moderation.

What foods out there are healthy and nourish your brain and promote mental acuity?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 6,790 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed

oralloy

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 04:04 am
Sardines/anchovies/salmon, in addition to being low in mercury, are high in omega 3 fatty acids.

Sardines and anchovies are low in mercury because they are low on the food chain and have a short lifespan. Mercury has little opportunity to accumulate in them.

I'm unsure why salmon are low in mercury also, since they are a larger and longer-lived fish, but I understand that they are.
JGoldman10

Wed 4 Mar, 2020 11:46 pm
@oralloy,
Ground beef and walnuts are good for your brain, according to some research I did. So is spinach.

I bought some sardines, beef and walnuts the last time I went grocery shopping, as of the time of the posting of this.

Some sources say spinach and broccoli are good for you. Others say they can be toxic if eat too much of them.

I don't know if broccoli is considered a brain food or not.

I had a book on nutrition that my 6th grade health teacher gave me as a going away present years ago but it was lost in storage. My family and I had done a lot of moving around since then. In hindsight I wish I would have kept up with it.

Hopefully I can replace it.
hightor

Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:23 am
@JGoldman10,
Basically, a good balanced diet will allow your brain to function as well as it can. If you want foods that actually stimulate your brain beyond its normal capability you'd be into the psychoactive drug realm.

Sardines, beef, and walnuts are all good to eat and in order for spinach and broccoli to negatively affect your health you'd need to eat huge, unrealistic amounts of them. In regular, meal-sized doses they are good for you and you shouldn't avoid them.

It's probably more constructive to think of foods which are bad for you and work to lower your consumption or avoid them altogether. And probably the most serious danger in the typical USAmerican diet is the excess consumption of sugar.

JGoldman10

Thu 5 Mar, 2020 01:13 pm
@hightor,
Too much sugar and acid is bad for anybody. They can deplete your bones of calcium.

Do you know why a lot of food stuffs are made with a lot of sugar and salt in them? They are used like preservatives. I don't know about sugar harvesting but I know salt mining is big business.
oralloy

Thu 5 Mar, 2020 02:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
Red meat (which basically means meat from any mammal) is not all that healthy according to many accounts. So you should probably limit your consumption of anything that comes from pigs or cows.

Nuts and vegetables are good for you though. As are sardines/anchovies/salmon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 5 Mar, 2020 02:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
Preservatives are bad too. Processed meat of any kind should be avoided as much as possible.
JGoldman10

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:14 am
@oralloy,
It's been said processed foods are bad for you. I know you shouldn't eat stuff that has any homogenized ingredients in them. Why is anything homogenized bad for you?

I know you are better off eating stuff made with whole wheat flour instead of enriched flour, because with enriched flour nutrients are taken out of the flour and put back in.

Why are processed meats bad for you? Can you please explain what you mean by processed meats?

I've been criticized for eating frozen pasta because frozen pasta is processed. What's wrong with frozen pasta?

I'm not an expert on nutrition. Please help.

izzythepush

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 06:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Do you know why a lot of food stuffs are made with a lot of sugar and salt in them?

Yes I do. You don't Putting sugar and salt in foods makes people want them more, unless you're talking about jam or saltmeat/fish, preserving has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Why are processed meats bad for you? Can you please explain what you mean by processed meats?

Processed meat is meat that has been treated to make it last longer without spoiling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_meat

Prepackaged lunch meat is an example of processed meat. The chemicals that preserve prepackaged lunch meat are not particularly healthy.
JGoldman10

Sat 14 Mar, 2020 07:05 pm
@oralloy,
Similarly they add chemicals to frozen pasta to make it last longer?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:53 pm
What's wrong with eating frozen pasta?
laughoutlood

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 12:41 am
Fish and potatoes, potent syllogism or food for thought?
0 Replies

cherrie

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 03:43 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What's wrong with eating frozen pasta?

It's really cold and hard to chew.
JGoldman10

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
@cherrie,
Nutritionally, what's wrong with eating frozen pasta? Is frozen pasta processed?
izzythepush

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 10:43 am
@JGoldman10,
No, it falls straight off the tree and into the freezer.
chai2

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 11:06 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Nutritionally, what's wrong with eating frozen pasta?

Nothing that I know of. But I've not looked into the matter, so there could be something that I am unaware of.

It is probably not good to eat too much of it, but only in the sense that it is not good to eat too much of anything.

JGoldman10 wrote:
Is frozen pasta processed?

Yes, but as far as I know it does not have the same negatives that processed meat does.
JGoldman10

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 06:05 pm
@oralloy,
Do they add chemicals to frozen pasta to make it last longer?
chai2

Thu 26 Mar, 2020 06:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
I want you to think about this very carefully.

Frozen pasta, frozen anything.

What would be the reason to put preservatives of any kind in something you froze?

What is the reason people starting freezing things in the first place?
Just...think about it. Give it time to dwell in your mind.

You don't need to come back with some sort of dense reply with more questions attached.

Just think about it.....with your brain.

If you're tempted to respond, think about it some more.