What do you have for breakfast?

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:38 am
Im having a breakfast dilemma.

For years Ive eaten cornflakes, these do nothing for me and I dont feel like I benefit from them in any way.They dont even stop me feeling hungry.
Ive tried honey coated something or others recently but they tatse very yucky, so this morning i moved onto Sugar Puffs, which, as you can imagine whiskedme back to being about 12 years old but again I don feel any benefit.

What do you recomend for breakfast?A fry up?It would surely stop me from feeling hungry but probably clog up my arteries.
Toast is more or less the same as cornflakes and I feel no benefit.Fruit, ok its good for me but wont stop me from being hungry.
I eat brekky at 7am, lunch is at 1pm!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:37 am
Unless you are overweight and on some form of diet regime, you should follow the old adage: "breakfast like a king, lunch like a Prince and dine like a pauper. That way you will have ample energy for the day, but not a lot of food in the system overnight, as it tends to get converted and stored as fat while you sleep.

Things with high carbs give you slow release energy throughout the morning. Porridge is good (if you like it that is).
Pro active Yoghurt for the digestive system, fruit, toast with honey and lots of fluid, especially in summer.

Fatty foods are wonderful and are very tempting, but should only really be eaten as a treat breakfast, maybe once a week. Fat and meat protein causes the digestion to go into overdrive, as it is harder to break down.
This causes blood to be taken away from the rest of the body, including the brain. That is why one normally feels sleepy after a "meaty" meal.

So, if you are bored at work, just eat half a ton of bacon and sausage for breakfast, and sleep at your office desk for the entire morning....it'll make the day go quicker, but annoy the boss.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:19 am
Porridge?? I thought only orphans in Dicken's novels ate that stuff.

I prefer to start with a protein like a scrambled egg. I sometimes have some whole grain toast with butter or I make an egg burrito. Tea or coffee - hot in the winter, iced in the summer. Sunday brunch is a bagel with a smear (cream cheese) and a slice of smoked salmon (can you guess my ethnic background now?).
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:23 am
I wouldnt mind bacon and sausages!!!!!!

Ive had porridge, the first time i ate it it kept me full till lunch but after that it didnt work.

Ive bought eggs with the intent to have them for brekky but I made some the other day and it didnt taste as good as my mum makes.What am I doing wrong??
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:26 am
I could easily fall asleep here as its half 11 and no bosses have turned up yet.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:32 am
Buy the best eggs you can find- fresh, vegetable feed, organic. Ask your mom if she has any tricks, but I find just a dab of butter to cook them with makes the different.

You also might want to try what I think is an American thing: Take a piece of good quality bread and make a hole in the center about the size of large coin. Toast the bread on one side in a little butter in a frying pan. Turn the bread over (toasted side is now up, you can add a little more butter to the pan) and crack an egg over the hole. Let the egg cook awhile until the bottom is white. Flip the egg and bread over (without breaking the yolk) and continue to cook until the egg is as done as you like. One of these and I'm good to lunch.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:37 am
Sounds intrigueing and complicated but il give it a go.
I like fried eggs but Im trying to keep the calorific content down as I once again walked through my local supermarket with my flies undone yesterday(coz they cant go all the way up)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:49 am
I made it sound more complicated than it is. I get very caught up in details.

I tend to lose weight if I cut out bad carbs and keep to whole, unprocessed foods. I would gain weight just by being in the same room with SugarPops or Corn Flakes. Corn used for making animals artifically fat before slaughter, not a good way to start the day.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:54 am
I was violently ill at 4pm from last nite's dinner (don't ask, but it wasn't, like, anything that didn't pour easily). I ended up sipping some Chinnoto to sort of settle my stomache ...

My advice, stick to strong coffee till 9'ish. And eat your greens (actually, eat anything)....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:55 am
The number of times Ive gone to the fridge in the past few weeks and found the veg has gone off is amazing.Ive thrown so much away.They dont really make lettuces for one.

Im trying to cut out unprocessed food but my diet is very samey.I eat alot of chicken.Are eggs really any different?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:10 am
Eggs are very different nutritionally from meat. Try and find eggs with Omega3. It has to do with what the chickens are feed and they will cost a little more. Studies now show there is something in eggs that actually protects the heart from heart disease (I would find it on-line, but I'm running out of time here).

I do two types of shopping - the first I call "toilet paper shopping" and that is basically what it is. I go TPS about once a month. Once a week I do "fresh shopping". That's when I stop at farmers markets, the "good" grocery store or food co-op and pick up veggies and meat in small quanitites to eat within a week (household of 2 people and various critters). I try and do a little menu planning based on what is in season and what I feel like eating. For long shelf life and snacking try things like nuts and dried fruit.

When I was single I would whip up a big mixed salad on a Sunday afternoon and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. I found it would last about 5 days and since it was pre-made I was more likely to eat it during the week.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:10 am
No. But sort of.

I eat eggs, because they are unfertilised and won't turn into cute, fluffy chicks. I eat milk products and cheese too, because I would probably be a very, very thin and emaciated person if I didn't.

I would never TELL some-one to embrace vegetarianism outright, but I would tell them to cut out animal fats and proteins - especially for breakfast.

Still - look what it did for me......
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:25 am
Breakfast - a couple of crumpets, toasted. Easy on the spread though that way you keep the fat down. Keeps me going until lunchtime.

Yum on the smoked salmon/cream cheese bagel Green Witch - I get that from my grandmother (I think Americans call it lox?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:28 am
Many cups of tea from a big pot! I can't face food first thing in the morning. But by 10:30 I'm ravenous!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:38 am
msolga wrote:
Many cups of tea from a big pot! I can't face food first thing in the morning. But by 10:30 I'm ravenous!

Your usual ma'am!?!

http://www.lookstein.org/images/tea.jpg
..black tea... and...

http://www.planetgordon.com/archives/images/duckiecake.jpeg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:50 am
Thanks, Stilly, but first thing? I don't think so!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:52 am
Why the hell is the theme from "Gilligan's Island" running through my head?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:53 am
GreenWitch, thanks for reminding me I need ot buy loo paper!!!If Id forgotten I can see my cutting a roll of kitchen towel in half!!

Didnt know eggs had omega3 in it, thats in fish isnt it which Im also trying to eat more of.Il have a look.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:58 am
I don't know about there MG but here you can buy eggs that have the Omega3 oil added. I buy free range anyway, not that I eat many eggs but I can't stand the thought of buying battery eggs.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:22 am
Green Witch wrote:
Porridge?? I thought only orphans in Dicken's novels ate that stuff.

I prefer to start with a protein like a scrambled egg. I sometimes have some whole grain toast with butter or I make an egg burrito. Tea or coffee - hot in the winter, iced in the summer. Sunday brunch is a bagel with a smear (cream cheese) and a slice of smoked salmon (can you guess my ethnic background now?).

Ethnic background.....smoked salmon, bagel.....hmmm.......I guess that you're Scottish/Jewish and that your real name is Ruth MacCohen.

Porridge.....the real name for what Americans call Oatmeal, I believe. It fills the space between your belly and your backbone, puts hair on your chest and lead in your pencil.
One bowl per day for a week and you will be able to toss any Caber with no problem at all.
0 Replies