Help with in-laws

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:46 am
Hopefully this is considered a "relationship" so I'm posting in the right forum. My husband and I have been married for 5 years and we haven't seen his parents or brother socially in about 4 years. Now a situation has arisen where I feel this impasse must be broken. Maybe for my husband's sake or maybe because I feel guilty, I'm not sure.

The 6 months leading up to our wedding we saw them quite a lot (Friday night cards, church, etc.) but near the wedding they found out my true age (they had assumed I was 10 years younger than I am) and withdrew their consent for the wedding, as did the church (which we both have since walked away from) and slowly stopped seeing any of them for various reasons but the foremost one for me was the stress caused us to argue constantly over how to handle them or why we didn't or couldn't. It just became unbearable. The mother is loud, obnoxious, rude, nosy and has been proven to be a gossip if you give her half a chance. The brother is socially pathetic and as an example of his manners... eats greasy chips and then wipes his hands on my brand new white sofa cushions while my husband says nothing, even after I hand them both napkins and say "You boys need to wipe your hands on napkins, not the furniture!" but the brother did not get the hint and his napkin went unused, much to my disgust (and anger with my husband for not "handling" his own brother!) This was probably 99% behind all of our early arguments as a couple. The stress mounted and we just stopped seeing them because I refused to. His father has been known to verbally admonish his wife by calling out her name on occasion when she's rude, but then she just carries on with her behavior and isn't challenged any further. My husband often closed his eyes and just zoned out leaving me stranded to deal with them essentially alone. I don't fault him for it, he was very young and he's come a long way since, but hasn't been tested in a critical situation yet and I'm nervous. He was the youngest in a very controlling, manipulative and religious family and was never taught to speak out or even speak his mind (or even have a mind) and we're BOTH pretty lousy at speaking up in general or asking for what we need or expect from people, so I am not a great help either. I even answered rude questions because my immediate response around authority figures is to obey. I hate myself afterwards, but it's like a reaction I can't help at the time.

However - we recently bought a quite spectacular new home and I know my husband would enjoy showing it off and possibly part of that is to say "I've thrived with this woman you judged!", who knows. I want him to be able to enjoy showing it off in any case but the closer it comes to the time this actually should go down, the more sick inside I feel knowing I'm willingly subjecting myself to their rude and obnoxious behavior. Hopefully we've all grown up a little bit in the ensuing 4 year period, but if I'm sick to my stomach and shaking when they show up (I am pretty sure I will be) it's going to be really difficult to have a helpful attitude. I don't want to start all over again with the stress and arguments over seeing them and if we open this door a little bit they'll probably get pushy about keeping it open and frankly I just don't enjoy their company that much. They try to be nice, but they haven't been exposed to good manners or something and I just can't abide them. I don't know what to do, I'm really sad about this situation, and I'm certainly not accostomed to willingly subjecting myself to such unpleasantness but I want to do the right thing here. Any advice truly considered and greatly appreciated.

Deedee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:02 am
Quote:
However - we recently bought a quite spectacular new home and I know my husband would enjoy showing it off and possibly part of that is to say "I've thrived with this woman you judged!", who knows. I want him to be able to enjoy showing it off in any case but the closer it comes to the time this actually should go down, the more sick inside I feel knowing I'm willingly subjecting myself to their rude and obnoxious behavior.

Deedee05 - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

You are still being controlled by other people. IMO, it is not wise to resurrect a dysfunctional relationship simply because you want to "show them". If these people are truly as obnoxious as you say, why in the world would you want to be with them?
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
I don't see how I can deny my husband the opportunity to show his family his first home without him resenting me.

I don't care to show it off at all other than maybe the "he's thriving" part. For me nice THINGS mean nothing compared to how many people you love and how many love you back. For me this number is infinitesimal and that probably worries me and makes me feel like I'm the one doing it all wrong.

Quote:
Welcome

Thank you Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:13 am
Quote:
I don't see how I can deny my husband the opportunity to show his family his first home without him resenting me.

Has your husband expressed the desire to show his parents your new home?
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:18 am
Absolutely yes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
OK, so bite the bullet, and invite them over. For your sake, don't have any expectations that they will be any different than they were before, so you won't be disappointed. Just be frendly, and "go with the flow".

And don't forget to put in your order for the plastic slip covers! Laughing
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 08:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
And don't forget to put in your order for the plastic slip covers! Laughing

I know right, LOL!

*sigh* you know the stress of the (now) long-lived estrangement is starting to feel similar to the stress of having the unpleasant relationship in the first place! It's really too bad they think drinking is evil as I bet a glass or two of wine at this get-together would help things along a great deal. *pout*

I feel if I don't "bite the bullet" as you put it, that I'm just being stubborn and selfish. I hate being in a situation where I feel the need to be selfish to protect my own marriage though. It's come to light that he misled his parents regarding my age, so part of their reaction might well have been "If he's misleading on this, what else, pray tell, are we not being told?" It makes me angry toward my husband just thinking about it and we haven't even set a date yet. Good grief I think I'm going to need a sedative.

I've let one set of his grandparents in on the "secret" that we moved and sent them a URL to view pics of the new place and they've been kind but give no invitations to explain the estrangment, which I take as a hint not to go there, which is understandable I guess but I wish SOMEONE in that family had a supportive bone in their body! But it did get me to thinking... wouldn't the get-together be "safer" somehow if I invited the grandparents as well? Maybe that would improve everyone's behavior and leave less awkward moments?

No online gaming is involved here, so fact of the matter is that I could put this off a LONG time as my husband's major attention goes to his gaming, not this reunion. This is just something I have somehow come to feel guilty about and I will most likely be the person to "get on with it" or not.

*now multi-tasking on slip-cover sites* LOL thanks for the much-need laugh Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:03 pm
Deedee--

You don't have to love these people--you just have to have them over for the afternoon.

Sometimes you have to clean both before and after company. Sobeit.

You can have a glass of wine afterwards--if you've been very good.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
I think the grandparents are an excellent idea--maybe you could even invite a few of your friends at the same time. A very informal setting such as a backyard barbecue (probably with no alcohol, if they are sensitive to that) might be a bit easier than all sitting together in one room. Also, having some non-family friends around could (hopefully?) encourage your in-laws to mind their manners a bit more than usual.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:15 am
Noddy24 wrote:

You don't have to love these people--you just have to have them over for the afternoon.

Noddy is right.

You must let your hubby know it's ok for his family to come over, even if you have to go shopping for the afternoon while they are there.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
My thoughts are the same as Bella Dea's, I think... why do you need to be at home when they come over? Much easier just to come home afterwards and ask, "How did it go?"

If you don't like his relatives, I don't see why you have to be around them. They're his relatives, therefore his obligation if he wants to see them. Am I missing something here?
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:22 am
I have thought of just not being here when they come over, but I figured that was childish, so I didn't seriously consider it because of that.

I feel guilty even contemplating dodging them. WHAT is the matter with me? I don't even like them, why do I bother myself?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
DeeDee--

Could you be annoyed with your husband--whom you love dearly in spite of his little ways--and be projecting all that annoyance on his family?
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:09 pm
I don't think so. His mom and brother are truly annoying. Just the sound of her loud over-enthusiastic voice makes me cringe and she actually does and says rude things and says Jesus wants her to, so you can just imagine how annoying that is. And the brother has the social skills and manners of a 5 year old even tho he's in his late 20s and I just find that unacceptable. I really can only stand the father who is quiet and well mannered if a tad on the meek side, but unlike the other two, he is welcome in my home any time.

Hmm this is very good food for thought. No matter how unpleasant seeing them is, it's all over soon enough. What isn't over is if they misbehave and my husband doesn't "handle" it any better than years ago... I'm scared about how disappointed I'll be in my husband! I do beleive I just figured out what I'm REALLY scared of here!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
Deedee05 wrote:
I have thought of just not being here when they come over, but I figured that was childish, so I didn't seriously consider it because of that.

I feel guilty even contemplating dodging them. WHAT is the matter with me? I don't even like them, why do I bother myself?

Don' t feel guilty! You didn't do anything wrong and avoiding them will keep you from doing anything wrong. No one said you have to like your in laws. You married your hubby, not his family.
0 Replies

Deedee05

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:19 pm
It's possible I don't dislike them as much as I think I do. It's possible what I really dislike is that my husband disappears when they're around and turns from my husband into their little boy.

I HATE THAT.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:41 pm
Deedee--

Good insight.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
That really is a good insight!

It sounds like the in-laws really ARE annoying, but maybe not nearly as annoying as your husband's behavior when they're around.

I still think you can safely absent yourself (if that feels best to you) without being rude or childish.

If you choose to stick around, now you know a lot more about your own feelings, and that's always a good thing. Not that that will FIX everything, but knowing what really drives you up a wall really helps... you can understand your own reactions better and thus have a bit more control in these difficult situations.
0 Replies