Clinging to the Fringes Cafe - Oz Drop In Centre.

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
Any chance of Miranda doing the commute with you or is she too old to be expected to adapt to the life of a commuter? Could you get some of the costs covered by enlisting her as a therapy cat?
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 07:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Um...no, yes and no!

I'm gonna check out if there is a chance of an employer contribution towards her boarding, as it's $75 a week, plus an extra $50 if the goddam plane leaves and returns too early and too late respectively for me to take her in on Monday and pick her up on Friday.

So far the times have been ok, but of course we're going to want to maximise the time up there, and it takes a fair while to get there by plane
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:42 pm
A long time since a post to this fringe cafe.

I am finding myself more & more in need of it.

What say you, other fringe dwellers?

Billy tea, anyone?

hingehead

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:45 pm
@msolga,
One skinny vanilla latte please, barista.
msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:48 pm
@hingehead,
Traitor!
But I understand, I really do!
It's not your fault, hinge. Wink

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:51 pm
@msolga,
You don't really hang out at Starbucks do you?
Nah, you're just being cheeky. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:08 am
On saturday, 25th of July 2005, I posted this comment here:

Quote:
I'm doing a quick mental tally of the Ozzians here:

Apart from our good selves, Deb, there is:

margo

goodfielder

Mr stillwater

oddsocks

pragmatic

Adrian (who I haven't seen nearly as much of, of late) Sad

hinge (whose political comments I really miss a lot.) Sad

... there are others, I KNOW, but unfortunately a long, Sunday lunch with generous amounts of vino has dulled my memory. Embarrassed

Do you think they should all be invited for a coffee here, Deb?

We have lost quite a few Ozzians & gained a few.
Eorl, Builder & other far less frequent posters.
Dadpad has been, gone, returned & left again very quickly, it appears.
I wish we had a more constant Oz presence here!
I miss interesting discussions about Australia (which is part of the world!) & the Australian perspectives on the world in general.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:12 am
@msolga,
Yea, I'll be in that one msolga. 1 tablet and skimmed milk please, and maybe a buttered scone?
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:16 am
@Dutchy,
Oh Dutchy!
How could I have possibly missed you in that list?
1000 humble apologies, possum!
Please forgive me for my vagueness.

You can have as many coffees & scones as you like!
On the house. Smile
Dutchy

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:56 am
@msolga,
Just wanted to stir your memory msolga. Smile I'm easy to miss as I'm not into debating, the trivial stuff is more my caper. Thank you for the offer, I shall avail myself when the opportunity arises, as I know what a fabulous host and chef you are!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:17 am
@msolga,
Billy tea? Cool! Damper anyone?

We have lost some great folk. What's wrongbwith us that we are still here?
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:30 am
@dlowan,
Sheer stubbornness, Deb.
I mourn the terrific folk we have lost, but I can fully understand why they left.
I think maybe they figured it was an overwhelmingly US opinion site and not much else ... & I think they were absolutely correct.
I'm having trouble hanging around here these days (particularly on the political threads, which I have just about stopped responding to,) for the very same reasons.
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 02:06 am
@msolga,
Further more ...
I welcomed the input of the philosophy folk at the time, as a much needed breath of fee air here.

And now just about all of them have gone, largely as I see, as the result of some A2K members' intolerance.

I would like us to be a LOT more tolerant of others' opinions.

That is what will keep this site interesting ... say nothing of afloat.
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 02:27 am
@msolga,
I meant, obviously I hope : a much need breath of fresh air here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:12 pm
Been awful quiet in here for a long time and there are sad losses and some new recruits.

How am I? lying in bed trying to decide if it is better to rest up today to try and recover from my bug or get cracking on more getting the place ready for sale stuff..like culling and painting.

The resting would likely be better for the long haul, but I am fully booked up tomorrow and have opens on Wednesday, friday and Sunday planned!

Any advice?

I have been so drowned in working on this place that I have pretty much forgotten about the house all this frenzy is in aid of!

Being curled up in bed with cats is pretty damned nice but I am looking forward to going out tomorrow. I kind of need to buy food today but the movers cost me so much and I had to find a $5000 deposit.....from my credit card, dammit....that I am almost totally broke and will make do with what is here.

All my clutter is sitting behind a screen in my bedroom, which is NOT a good look. Sigh.

Loving the book I am reading, which is the account of how Cornelia Wilbur sadly created the famous "multiple personalities" of her poor patient, "Sybil" with the aid of Sybil's very real emotional difficulties, of course.

Fascinating to look at the history of "hysteria" as well which brings into sharp focus the cultural aspects of mental illness so well.

the prince

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 04:54 am
@dlowan,
What's happening here? Are you moving?.
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 06:06 am
@the prince,
If I can get the right price for my place, yes.
hingehead

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:27 am
@dlowan,
Changing suburbs, states or countries (or realities)?
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:35 am
@hingehead,
Kind of uber suburbia but beyond suburbia.

May be moving to Aldinga beach.....which used to be country but has massive suburbia growing behind it. The loveliness is still there.

Upside....beauty, very close to sea, less financial burden. Downsides....long commute when I have always been a city person.

At present I am in home selling horror and despair and don't believe it will work out

Ended up resting and decluttering in turn. The pile in my bedroom has gone down a lot...or rather it is now in rubbish bags in my bedroom instead of NOT in rubbish bags in my bedroom.

Good to see you!
hingehead

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@dlowan,
Looks nice. Back from hols with plane bug and jet lag. Blah.