7
   

Clinging to the Fringes Cafe - Oz Drop In Centre.

 
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:29 am
Interesting it would be. Certainly! Very Happy
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:37 am
You ladies are very kind--at the moment, however, i would be hard pressed to find the funds to migrate across the street, let alone the globe.
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:38 am
well, whenever you do, don't forget to bring madam ehbeth...but asking you to bring the doggies might be too big of an ask, right?
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:40 am
But (I think) I know what Deb means about clinging to the fringes. We are a fringe group here at A2K. Often our contributions (especially in political debate) are barely acknowledged, often overlooked. The other day someone suggested that we had no credibility at all, participating in a debate about US policy & activities. The day after they happened! We do feel the fallout US actions keenly. We worry about the repercussions. We all live in one world, after all.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:42 am
Were Miss ebBeth and i to emmigrate, it could only occur with complete doggy participation, or not at all.

Miss Olga, your point is very well-taken. If you are again assailed by the pathetic argument that only 'Mericans can debate public issues about 'Merica, just ignore them--they is bein' real dumb.
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:43 am
I noticed that - whenever I browse the politics section of a2k, I never feel like I could make a contribution because they are in the US and we are in Australia, with our own little section titled "Australia". We are indeed a minority here. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:46 am
Jump right in Prag, and if any of the idjits object, tell them to piss off, it's your planet as much as it is theirs.
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:47 am
will do, sir! (salute!)
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:49 am
I don't know that its so much people telling me to go away because I don't know anything, more that I'm afraid that I won't be able to make some sort of constructive contribution to the discussion. I would love to discuss these type of issues, but without the American knowledge, background or perspective, I feel so useless, really.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:51 am
So . . . the policies and actions of the New Nited States affect you nevertheless. Were ignorance a bar to participation, the voting electorate in this country would shirnk to a mere battalion.
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:51 am
Setanta wrote:
You ladies are very kind--at the moment, however, i would be hard pressed to find the funds to migrate across the street, let alone the globe.


You have my sympathy & understanding, Setanta. I've been there & done that, very recently. It's very hard, I know that.
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:03 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - Moony is popping in a bit - we could PM 'em - but they may find their ways here, too.


moondoggy

Hello, hello.....

We want to hear from you! Very Happy
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:12 am
Setanta wrote:
Were Miss ebBeth and i to emmigrate, it could only occur with complete doggy participation, or not at all.


It can be done!
It has been done!
I seriously doubt this is not on your itinerary, Setanta, but hey, what a nice idea - the two of you here! Very Happy
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:20 am
msolga wrote:
But (I think) I know what Deb means about clinging to the fringes. We are a fringe group here at A2K. Often our contributions (especially in political debate) are barely acknowledged, often overlooked. The other day someone suggested that we had no credibility at all, participating in a debate about US policy & activities. The day after they happened! We do feel the fallout US actions keenly. We worry about the repercussions. We all live in one world, after all.


Oh - the name was us and our coastal cities!

I know what you mean, though - but I think we fight above our weight in politics here - 'tis why some right wing nuts get peed off - we ar eall mainly sensible...er, I mean, leftish.




Whaddamatta, Set????


(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Set))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


You ok?
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:29 am
I worked that one out a while ago, Deb. We can't have a rip-roaring Oz political debate here because all (few) of us are too like-minded! All we can do on the Oz political thread is go: Good grief! or Oh no! or <sigh>....
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:39 am
dlowan wrote:
I think we fight above our weight in politics here - 'tis why some right wing nuts get peed off -


You're right, Deb. We do fight above our weight. I wonder why we feel such a strong compulsion to do this?
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:08 am
Ornery.
0 Replies
 
goodfielder
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:17 am
I could always pretend to support Howard and then we could.......nah, that wouldn't work Embarrassed

Thank you for the pm msolga. Good to see our little antipodean corner is already lively. I hope that others - not just from Oz - hop in and give us their perspectives.

Interesting comment about Americans though. I know we had just a little contretemps about issues but I don't consider the person making that point to be representative of Americans. In fact I know that's the case. So, not to worry - that was very unusual.
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:23 am
Laughing

Nah, Deb!
We look out! (being newish in the world, a bit awed, unimportant & looking for answers...)
They (meaning the overwhelming number of US posters here) are focussed in what's important to them.They look in.
The thing is, what's happening in Oz is a micro version of what's happening in the US. Our federal government seems bent on this!
So why shouldn't we comment? Why shouldn't we have an opinion, for god's sake? We're dealing with the same crap!
0 Replies
 
goodfielder
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:27 am
I think set hit the nail right on the head. If this - Oz - were a part of the Roman Empire we'd be pretty interested about the goings on in Rome. In theory there is no American Empire but its influence is far greater than any historical imperial power. It's natural for any of us to be interested in what is happening in the US - in fact it's pretty hard to be disinterested given the amount of media dealing with US issues. Not that that worries me, it's just a fact of life. Like it or not Americans are living in the world's biggest goldfish bowl. But I can understand the temptation to tell interested bystanders to keep driving Very Happy
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
OBVIOUS TROLL - Question by Setanta
Surgery--Again - Discussion by Roberta
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Soon to be world traveler, Dog willing! - Discussion by Stacey the red baron
The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread. - Discussion by msolga
A good cry on the train - Discussion by Joe Nation
Why all the Decryptonite stuff? - Question by Tes yeux noirs
Oh rest ye, Merry Gentleman - Discussion by jespah
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 11/27/2021 at 06:03:24