Clinging to the Fringes Cafe - Oz Drop In Centre.

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:35 pm
@dlowan,
That's enough detail for me Deb. Bordertown was spooky enough!
dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:41 pm
@hingehead,
Lol!!! Bordertown is a mighty civilised metropolis compared with where I am going.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 09:08 pm
@dlowan,
Is Bordertown the same as Bartertown?
hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 09:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
No typo, definitely Bordertown
dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:13 am
@hingehead,
Oh...I thought you meant the actual town!
hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 01:40 am
@dlowan,
I did - just responding silly to the bartertown clip.
dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:08 am
@hingehead,
Whew...negotiated $5 per day off Miranda's boarding with vet.....that'll be cancelled out if the frigging plane leaves too early for me to take her to the vet on the Monday and I have to do so on Saturday instead...ditto if the frigging thing gets in too late Friday.

It's the small small plane this time apparently....five hours and NO TOILET there and back, so I am not way hopeful.

Plus....I have to BUY CLOTHES...and not only is this a pain. but there aren't any outback/extreme heat things available in the shops yet...if at all.

You have to cover up...but the heat is FEROCIOUS...the local folk are sort of acclimated.

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:10 am

Hi, Oz!

How you all doin' down there?
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:17 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Well, fellow Ozzians...I AM gonna be working half the time in the back of beyond...first flight up early November.

I'm kind of skeert.

Apart from feeling kind of skeert, how do you feel about this situation, Deb? (Half time is a lot of your time!)
Do you have any choice in the matter?
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:18 am
@McTag,
Hello, McTag! Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:33 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Well, fellow Ozzians...I AM gonna be working half the time in the back of beyond...first flight up early November.

I'm kind of skeert.

Apart from feeling kind of skeert, how do you feel about this situation, Deb? (Half time is a lot of your time!)
Do you have any choice in the matter?

Well, half-time is kind of full-time. I'll be full time in the new job...which is a grade up plus remote area allowance (which I think Miranda will consume.)

What is SUPPOSED to happen is that I work out there one week, (which means about 9.00am to 10.00 pm) and have part of the next week for recovery and all the paperwork, follow-up, researching what the **** I am doing etc....so it's all ONE job.

I was worried by that because I think it'll take them ages to back-fill my current position, and, since there's effectively only one of me for the state (in terms of general inquiries, consultation etc. and only two of us in all in the state for client work) I said I would continue with all my current clients and do all the normal consultation and training that I possible could on the "off week".

I chose to go for it for a variety of reasons...partly "paying the rent", partly "what an amazing opportunity"...so I had a choice. Mind you, it's interesting to think what might have happened if I hadn't applied....there were a couple of occasions where people were ordered to go willy nilly. This is NOT the way to do the job though!!!!

So...my feelings are very mixed. I don't really know enough to know how I feel. My main terror is "please don't let me do anything else to **** up and unwittingly make these people's lives worse.....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze."

Oh...can I just clarify that "paying the rent" doesn't mean getting more money, it is what Indigenous people call "paying your dues as a white person who benefits from the white invasion of Australia..."

It is shorthand for doing what you can to make things fairer and better here for Indigenous folk.

HOW to do that is the devil in the detail, and I am so not kidding when I say that.
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:44 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Well, half-time is kind of full-time. I'll be full time in the new job...which is a grade up plus remote area allowance (which I think Miranda will consume.)

What is SUPPOSED to happen is that I work out there one week, (which means about 9.00am to 10.00 pm) and have part of the next week for recovery and all the paperwork, follow-up, researching what the **** I am doing etc....so it's all ONE job.

That is a pretty hefty work-load. I hope enough others will be on deck at the same time, Deb.

Quote:
I was worried by that because I think it'll take them ages to back-fill my current position, and, since there's effectively only one of me for the state (in terms of general inquiries, consultation etc. and only two of us in all in the state for client work) I said I would continue with all my current clients and do all the normal consultation and training that I possible could on the "off week".

I really hope that is do-able. But, to me, it sounds rather like doing two jobs at one time. I do fully understand the reasons for your commitment, but that's a lot of work for one person.

Quote:

I chose to go for it for a variety of reasons...partly "paying the rent", partly "what an amazing opportunity"...so I had a choice.

I can so understand that! It is a unique & very important position.
I fully understand "paying the rent".
Good on you.

Quote:
...so I had a choice. Mind you, it's interesting to think what might have happened if I hadn't applied....there were a couple of occasions where people were ordered to go willy nilly. This is NOT the way to do the job though!!!!

Yes. I can see that you're trying to do what's right, plus what's sort of expected of you at the same time.
And I understand that ordering someone to go is not exactly going to achieved the hoped for outcomes ...

Quote:
So...my feelings are very mixed. I don't really know enough to know how I feel. My main terror is "please don't let me do anything else to **** up and unwittingly make these people's lives worse.....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze."

And I can so understand that terror, Deb. This is such important work you'll be doing. (I also understand that you won't be able to openly talk about the details of your work online here.)

Quote:
It is shorthand for doing what you can to make things fairer and better here for Indigenous folk.

HOW to do that is the devil in the detail, and I am so not kidding when I say that.

Oh I know you're not. It is a hugely daunting task & there have been so many difficulties in the past. And so much criticism directed at folk who have most likely done their level best.

So I'm wishing you all the very best in this new position, Deb. I'm just hoping that you receive all the support you need. (I know you will do your very best in a very challenging area.)

But, on a personal level, this is going to be quite a change to the way that you've been living your life, over the past few years. That (as I'm 100% certain you're aware) is going to require quite a bit of adjustment, too. I so hope you are not going to be too stretched, that's all.
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:21 am
@msolga,
Quote:
That is a pretty hefty work-load. I hope enough others will be on deck at the same time, Deb.

Oh yes....I don't know what positions have/have not been filled yet.

It'll be a multi-agency thing...two from my place, two from mental health....and hopefully some consistent police and welfare folk. Of course we'll work closely with the local community Council (indigenous), health and education, plus women's and men's groups.

Thank you for your understanding.....and knowing that it IS scary!
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:23 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Thank you for your understanding.....and knowing that it IS scary!

Thank YOU for taking on this very important job, Deb!

And (again) my best wishes that things go well.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:20 pm
Deb

Huge responsibility - I can understand you being a little daunted.

Is this a permanent arrangement, or perhaps a year's contract?

I think burnout would be a major risk
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:53 pm
@margo,
Initially our proposal was six months.

Then the whole thing disappeared for ever into the lengthy bowels of "up there where the money comes from".

I don't really know yet, but I assume it is a year. I won't know until I get a chance to sit down with my boss...I only had a brief phone conversation with her the other day...and she woke me up and then had to run herself.
hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:35 pm
@dlowan,
Will you have internet? Can we help keep your spirits up?
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:40 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Will you have internet? Can we help keep your spirits up?

No...barely even phones.

I have other ways of keeping my spirits up!
engineer

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:44 pm
I'm rereading Wicked and every time I see this thread I think that people are discussing the book.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 06:52 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I have other ways of keeping my spirits up!

Yes? Smile
0 Replies