payroll never paid me checks from months ago and won't answer their phone please help!

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 01:57 am
I work as a home health aide type person for the Illinois department of human services - they are the ones who pay, the person I actually care for is their client etc.

pretty much when I first filled out my paper work to start working (like January/February), my paperwork wasn’t processed until like May..by then I had completely changed addresses so it wasn’t processed in time for my first couple of paychecks. My first paychecks that were sent in June/July/August therefore ended up being returned to sender.

Anyways. After months of calling and calling I finally got ahold of my paycheck from August was sent to me. I was told another from June would be resent, but the rest (2) were going to have to be reissued and we did that paperwork over the phone - this all happened oct 2nd.

Thought all was well, I just assumed it was going to take awhile. By mid November I decided to try calling. I contacted literally the SAME person for days (leaving voicemails that were supposedly going to be returned within 24hrs). Anyways, I found out the guy in charge of reissuing literally didn’t send any request for it to be mailed??? The worst part is when someone evtually called me back I was literally about to depart on a flight. So I had to recall and either get the same spiel or get sent to voice mail again.

So I think about 2 weeks ago, I spoke to someone finally (from the same number I’ve been calling bc it’s the only number that handles payroll stuff). She said she would email the guy I’ve been trying to call, she read me the email and everything so I assume she sent it?? I stopped calling for a week (last week) bc I was swamped with finals and it was the last thing I wanted to deal with. Well now I’m being sent to voicemail again and again by this ONE GUY who would be able to solve all my issues. I don’t even know what to do anything. I am leaving Illinois so I can go to the office (I literally wouldn’t even be able to get there Bc it’s like a 4hr drive..) I honestly don’t know what to do at this point. I know it’s not a lot of money but like...I’m in college rip.

To clarify: basically I’ve been trying to call this “main office”, they always pick up and transfer me to the same guy, I’ve asked if I could speak to anyone else and they say he’s the only guy that handles this. HE IS LITERALLY NEVER THERE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 06:17 am
@missingpaychecks101,
Make the damned 4 hour drive anyway. These assholes are obviously finding it easy to lie to and put off a voice on the phone. Your being there is a lot harder to ignore.

Keep track of the time and your gas receipts and tolls, with paper proof if you can get it. So get the receipt from the gas pump, etc. Calculate your time, multiplied by the number of hours. Present that and the receipts and demand that they be paid in addition to your checks. Same if you have hotel and restaurant receipts from the trip.

Don't expect to be paid that, but have it with you, as it helps to impress upon them how much their inactivity has put you out.

Also get the name and phone number of the local (to them) TV investigative reporter. If they don't pay you, tell them you're calling the reporter. And then do it.

These people are incompetent and overworked at best (which means management needs to hire more people and build in more efficiency). At worst, they don't do their jobs.

They are counting on you just going away.

Don't let them get away with it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 09:55 am
@missingpaychecks101,
Call up the state department of labor and provide all the information you have including dates you called, people you spoke to and details of when you worked. File a complaint.. then call this idiot again and let him know that you held off as long as possible but you had to file a complaint.

I did something like this recently ... not paycheck related but a business that was supposed to credit my account. I dealt with them for a few months leaving messsges for managers that were conviently never available. I filed with the BBB and filed a complaint with my bank. After I did that I called the business back let them I didn’t want to this but at this point I had no other option ... viola a manager called me within 5 minutes... he said oh we processed the credit wrong I will fix it and then the next day the credit was on my account.

Not sure your states laws about paying employees but I know where I am from there can be penalties for not paying you promptly including things like triple damages. So I would think if you file a complaint they will act a bit more quickly.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 11:03 am
Call your State Representative.

This is BS.

0 Replies