Applied to another job, while still in interview process with same company, big no-no?

Bea0522

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 07:32 am
Recently I’ve been on the search for my first job. A couple weeks back I applied to be a gate greeter at an amusement park. To be honest, at the time and “now” I would much rather be a lifeguard at the park. However, my parents “got” into my head and made me think I was unqualified to be a lifeguard and would ultimately fail the test to become one.
That brings me to now, yesterday I had an interview with a supervisor about the position of being a gate greeter. The interview went smoothly and at the conclusion of it he said he was going to go through my references/see what they have to say/wait for my background check and get with me soon. He asked if I had any questions, maybe about two times, but of course I did not ask about being a lifeguard or anything pertaining to that fearing it would decrease my chances of getting any job.
A little while after I got back home from the park, I immediately went on the park’s website and applied to be a lifeguard. I just could not stand there and not at least have a go at applying to the job that I actually wanted. Seeing all the lifeguards at the park made me feel sad that I didn’t apply for the position and a little jealous.
Now I am wondering if I should call the park’s administrative office and let them know that I applied to be a lifeguard as well and I failed to bring it up during the interview. I told my parents the idea and they were against it, saying that I should just stick with having a shot at a job than having none at all (lose-lose situation) I am not sure what to do now because look what happened the first time when I listened to them. Was this a mistake, applying to another job in the same company even though I already had an interview to be the position I applied to first? Let’s say I am lucky enough to get a call back requesting an interview for the lifeguard position, do you think they’d think differently of me? Perhaps that I am unprofessional and can’t commit? (Thank you for your responses/input)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 9
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 07:38 am
@Bea0522,
You can apply to as many jobs at a company or organization as you feel qualified for.

In your situation, a gatekeeper job is not a hard position to fill. If you got the opportunity to apply, interview for, a lifeguard position, take it.
They can find another gatekeeper.

Where I go to swim, most of the time the gatekeeper is sitting there reading a book. If there is no gatekeeper, an available lifeguard can sit in, or they leave the gate unattended.

Go for it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 10:39 am
@Bea0522,
Always go for the job that will make you happy working in it.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah but it's always nice to have a backup.

This is a teenager job, not a career.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 11:20 am
@Bea0522,
This is not a big deal. You didn't do anything wrong. It is normal to apply for multiple positions. It's called not putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Go for both positions and see what happens. Once they offer you a position and you accept, you probably should stop applying for other positions for a while. Until that happens you are free to apply to anything you like.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 11:50 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Once they offer you a position and you accept, you probably should stop applying for other positions for a while. Until that happens you are free to apply to anything you like.

Yeah. He may decide he likes the gatekeeper job better because of the nature of the job. It would involve greeting people, answering questions and other.

At the same time he may decide, after spending time talking to the lifeguards, that isn't something he wants.

If a lifeguard position comes open, he's a known entity, and if he's been a good employee, he would definately be in the running.

I'm not sure if I've seen any of the gatekeepers promoted to lifeguard. I think they have, but I'm not transitioning the faces in my mind from seeing someone at the gate, to someone up on the stand. I know most of the people that work at the pool, but honestly wouldn't notice if a gatekeeper became a lifeguard. Probably because my interactions with the GK is usually about 5 seconds.

However, over the years, I've seen a good number of lifeguards being promoted to head lifeguard, and also other positions higher up in the parks and rec dept in aquatics.

Of course most lifeguards are college students, so they move onto something else after a season, or several years.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 12:03 pm
@chai2,
It doesn't matter; why work at a job you hate?
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A number of reasons.

You need the money, and it's the only job available at the time.
You think that by temporarily working that job you will be promoted to one you like better.
As a way to see what someone else has to do, to gain empathy for them.
You know it is short term, and the best way to attain some short term goals.
Because you're not short sighted, and can see where this will benefit your future.
For something to put on your resume for a future position that is related, but that you like.
Because sometimes you just gotta pay your dues.
And many more.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 12:32 pm
@chai2,
I've always had a different perspective on jobs and careers. I've always told my son as he was growing up to find a career he would be happy working in. He was always a good student in school, and graduated summa cum laude. He got his graduate degree from the University of Texas in Austin, and now works for the university at the reference library. He's the super there. He always loved to read, and now, he's in the midst of what he loves to do. I couldn't be happier for him. His income is not the best, but competitive in today's labor market, but we are also able to assist him.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As I said ci...

we are not talking about a career....in this case we are talking about a part time job for a teenager.
The kids question was asked and answered.

Anyway.
If you son graduated, and didn't find a career job for a year after graduation, are you saying he should potentially end up living on the street because he wouldn't take a postion temporarily that he didn't care for, but would let him rent a place, and eat, while he looked to something he liked?
It's nice you were able to assist him. What if you weren't?

0 Replies