DNA Study Finds Chihuahuas Aren't Dogs

kuvasz

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:38 pm
Quote:
"As part of an ambitious effort to identify genes that cause disease in dogs and humans, scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle analyzed DNA collected from 414 dogs representing 85 breeds, including some of the most popular. The findings have sent reverberations though the ranks of dog fanciers, who primp and preen their beloved companions for shows and take great pride in their pedigrees.

"It was a surprise to find that some breeds such as the Ibizan hound and the Pharaoh hound, along with several others that dog aficionados have long believed dated back thousands of years, are actually much more modern animals - re-creations that were probably produced by breeders," said geneticist Leonid Kruglyak, who helped conduct the research. "However, it was more of a surprise to find that some breeds are not even dogs."

"Among other findings, the analysis determined that the Chihuahua is actually a type of large rodent, selectively bred for centuries to resemble a canine.

"This is clearly going to raise some eyebrows in the Chihuahua world," said Peggy Wilson, president of the Chihuahua Club of America. "It goes against our belief system. People are pretty passionate about their dogs. There is going to be disbelief."

Using 96 distinct patterns in the genes called "microsatellites," the researchers compared dogs within breeds, and breeds with one another. In the May 21 issue of the journal Science, the team concluded that almost every breed was surprisingly distinct genetically. They were able to identify each dog's breed by its genes with 99 percent accuracy. They also found that breeds could be clearly grouped into four distinct clusters based on striking genetic similarities: ancient dogs, hunters, herders, and guard dogs.

"Once we had these groups pretty well mapped out, the canine mimics were easy to pick out," added Kruglyak. "And actually, it was kind of intuitive in hindsight."

The study found that several diminutive breeds had been independently created around the world from a variety of other animals.

http://www.watleyreview.com/2004/052504-3.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 18,704 • Replies: 96
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:45 pm
I always knew they was damn rats with buggy eyes.
littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:48 pm
A joke, yes?
littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:51 pm
It says "...some breeds are not even dogs." BreedS, plural. I wonder which others aren't dogs.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:32 pm
Shitzwhatsits?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:35 pm
littlek wrote:
A joke, yes?

You talking to me?

If so, no.

I have, amongst my other character flaws, an inability to stand little dogs.

I wouldn't do one harm, of course - I just can't bear them.

Sort of like some dumb people are with cats.

Sigh.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:05 am
littlek,
I checked out the source:

"The Watley Review is dedicated to the production of articles completely without journalistic merit or factual basis, as this would entail leaving our chairs or actually working. Names, places and events are generally fictitious, except for public figures about which we may have heard something down at the pub. All contents are intended as parody and should be construed as such. We have no agenda other than the depletion of Uncle Zeke's whaling trust fund and the dutiful appreciation of smooth, smooth liquor. The Review is updated every Tuesday, when the hangovers wear off . . ."

So, it is a joke, but somehow a very believable one Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
It had that urban legend aura, but was quite a nifty piece..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:27 pm
Dlowan, I wasn't questioning you! I was refering to the article.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:08 pm
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2002/01/01/feature/images/ft_hdr_20020101.1.jpg

Nice try, Kuvasz, but dogs have more DNA in common with us than they do with rats - even the tiny yippy ones like Chihuahuas Smile
http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2002/01/01/html/ft_20020101.1.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:14 pm
I believe the critters were bred for meat.

Would you rather eat dog or rat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 01:19 am
I've eaten dog . . . stringy, but not a bad taste . . . never had occassion to eat rat . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 02:44 am
Tastes like chicken....
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 04:10 am
fake
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 05:35 am
My unt had a chihuahua (Apple head variety) . Damn thing would always want to jump up on your lap and sit there shivering.I dont think tht chihuahuas should be allowed in latitudes higher than Virginia. (I have no idea what is the antipodal equivalent without consulting a map and , for all purposes, I really dont give a ****)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 05:50 am
Nothing south of Port Darwin, FM, take my word for it . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:08 am
so wed have these two large chihuahua- free zones on the map.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:10 am
And a large circle somewhere with my residence as its center point.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:48 am
Chihuahua free zones! Love it....
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:49 am
Are Chihuahuas dogs? Other animals don't think so. The hawks living near Central Park occasionaly pick one up and eat it along with their usual diet of rats and pigeons.

And I can vouch for the fact that dogs like this one, >

http://www.netpets.org/dogs/reference/breedinfo/submit/images/sibhus.jpg

> who play with just about every other breed of dog, invariably regard Chihuahuas with suspicion....