Do you Neti? (Not for the squeamish)

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 07:18 pm
Every year about this time, I am faced with a dilemma. Either I suffer through a horrible head cold that keeps me from sleeping for weeks... or I perform a ritual that is the equivalent of waterboarding myself.

To use a neti pot, you boil water for 10 minutes (to kill any microbes) and you add salt and you let it cool down to a comfortable temperature (the only comfortable thing about the process). Then you put the salty lukewarm water into a teapot looking device that forms an airtight seal with your nostril. Then you tilt the contraption and your head forcing the brine up one nostril until stuff runs out the other nostril. What runs out of the other nostril is a mixture of the lukewarm salt water, plus all of the gunk that has been clogging up your sinuses.

When you do this, you realize how connected everything is. Tilt your head to drastically and you end up gagging and spitting salty mucous from out of your throat.

Why do people put themselves through this awful ritual? Because it works... and there is a great relief once you have finished pouring salt water up your nose and out the other side. It is the only thing, short of narcotic cough syrup (perhaps the topic of another thread) that brings any relief from a horrible head cold.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 819 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 10:20 am
@maxdancona,
Ritually wash your hands much more often and you may help avoid seasonal colds also. I tried a neti pot after being coaxed by my computer guys. It was not pleasant I dont know how one gets to endure it.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 11:09 am
@farmerman,

i've been meaning to try the Mick Dundee sure-fire method...

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 11:46 am
I use the squeeze bottle form of sinus rinse. I use it mainly for congestion due to the extremely dry air that we get here in the winter, but also for colds and flu when I get them. It does provide relief. With the bottle, you slightly tilt your head down over a sink, put the nozzle into your nostril and squeeze the bottle. It sends a stream of saline solution into the nostril's nasal passage. It comes out the other nostril and your mouth. Sometimes, when I'm really congested, the pressure from the saline stream will cause my ears to pop. So far, I haven't had to use it this season.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2019 02:00 am
@maxdancona,
If you need to boil your water you need to get a whole house filter. Get the big one at Walmart or any hardware store, and any plumber can install it. Just remember to replace the element every year. And don't lose the wrench.

I don't know what you are whining about. I have used a neti pot almost every day for over ten years. There is nothing squeamish about it. You just need to get familiar with your own body. And add some baking soda to the salt.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2019 07:01 am
@Jewels Vern,
Maybe some people, including yourself, dont think being waterboarded is anything to whine about. I still think it is a war crime.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2019 04:26 pm
I use distilled water, and warm it a bit for 30 seconds in the microwave.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 11:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, as I said, i don't know what your problem is. You mention tilting your head too far, and I wonder why you don't tilt your head to the proper angle? I have never had any such problem. But then I only tilt my head to the exact angle that works.
0 Replies