Help me propose marriage using an online "Treasure Hunt"

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:38 am
I would like to propose to my girlfriend. To make the engagement memorable, I want her to do an Internet treasure hunt. So she would go from website to website, finding clues or solving puzzles.

And the clue on the last web page will give her instructions to meet me at a park where I will propose to her.

Can you think of any creative clues? Clues that would guide her to various websites. I could even create content on some pages (for example, I could create a page on craigslist.com and send her to that page). Hopefully some of the clues would be romantic (I hear girls are into that kind of thing!).

Info about us:
- We met a year ago at church.
- She's an awesome cook.
- We love our nieces and nephews, basketball, and Costco samples.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,927 • Replies: 24
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:56 am
<frown>

Marriage is not a game. Are you actually trying to annoy her?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:25 am
I don't think most women would consider this romantic. You might want to consider the more traditional approach of a dinner in a beautiful location, a statement of love and a tasteful engagement ring. I know you want to be unique, but I think she will remember a romantic evening just as easily.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:46 am
I think the scavenger hunt idea is O.K., but making it virtual/online removes a lot of the romance. A real-life scavenger hunt allows you the opportunity to send her to a favorite dating spot, a nice restaurant, etc. that can have special significance + happy memories for both of you. You might also consider listing a reason why you love her/want to marry her on each clue (this could even possibly be incorporated into your virtual search if you choose to continue with the online route).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
I don't think it's that bad of an idea, but only if that's the kind of thing she's into.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 02:16 pm
I might be very unfair, but I have a picture of you forcing her to follow your directions, jump through your hoops, play your game.

Ossobuco said it well. "Marriage is not a game."
0 Replies

waltjordan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Marriage is not a game. Are you actually trying to annoy her?

So I guess you don't believe in the three rings of marriage:
-Engagement ring
-Wedding ring
-Suffering

Seriously, I appreciate you taking the time to write. I've never been married, but I'm hoping it will be a life-long adventure that we share.

Would you be willing to say why an online treasure hunt might annoy her?

Thanks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:14 pm
It all depends on what she likes to do...
Does she like to be online and solve puzzles or do scavenger hunts?
If so then a treasure hunt might be a novel way to engage her in getting engaged.

There was a story a year or so ago about a guy that had a special crossword puzzle made up and put in the paper in order to ask his girlfriend to marry him because she always did crossword puzzles.

Maybe there are certain websites she frequents that you could get to join you in your scheme?

If you are doing this because you like computers and think it would be neat but she rarely spends time doing anything online then I think you need to go a different route. Don't buy her a bowling ball because you like bowling. It didn't work on the Simpsons, the Honeymooners and Married with Children and it won't work in real life.
0 Replies

waltjordan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
parados wrote:

Maybe there are certain websites she frequents that you could get to join you in your scheme?

She enjoys the web and visits certain sites often. That's a great idea to (try to) partner with them. Thank you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:54 pm
walt, I think you're starting off on the wrong foot. To make it romantic, you must do all the work to show her how much you care. Have a plane fly over with a sign of your love for her - at a given time and location. Take her to a sports event where the sign says "Walt Loves Jane." Take her to a nice restaurant where the dessert has a ring inside. Does your girlfriend really love the internet so much that a hunt would be successful?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:13 pm
Re: Help me propose marriage using an online "Treasure
waltjordan wrote:
I would like to propose to my girlfriend. To make the engagement memorable, I want her to do an Internet treasure hunt. So she would go from website to website, finding clues or solving puzzles.

And the clue on the last web page will give her instructions to meet me at a park where I will propose to her.

Can you think of any creative clues? Clues that would guide her to various websites. I could even create content on some pages (for example, I could create a page on craigslist.com and send her to that page). Hopefully some of the clues would be romantic (I hear girls are into that kind of thing!).

Info about us:
- We met a year ago at church.
- She's an awesome cook.
- We love our nieces and nephews, basketball, and Costco samples.

Thanks!
"If your Girlfriend is me, than by all means please do so!" :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:16 pm
Since the scavenger/game approach to proposals is pretty well accepted in real life, I think it could work as well with a virtual component with the right couple.

I think it's a rather sweet, romantic idea.

Love without play, love without laughter isn't worth anything to me. I view waltjordan's idea as laughter and love-play, not game-playing.

~~~~~~~~

I personally would be close to hysterical and very angry if the restaurant/ ring, plane flying overhead or sporting event approaches suggested by c.i. were applied to me. I HATE personal things like proposals having public components. HATE it. Don't like seeing them, don't want to be stuck in one. <don't get me started on evil evil surprise birthday parties Twisted Evil >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously, lots of different perspectives on this.

waltjordan - you know the woman you love better than anyone else does. If you think she'd get a kick out of a scavenger hunt - live or with virtual components - go for it. You need to know the kind of memories you want to make - and how she'll respond to them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:30 pm
Wellllllll, I did have regrets about posting so sharply so fast. But that was my instant straightforward reaction. And I still have that reaction, I would be entirely annoyed. Why? Let me count the ways.

I spoke much too personally though, and can see the sense in Parados' point of view, and in ehBeth's, also a personal reaction.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:41 pm
I've been reading other posts and weighing other opinions and I'm still opposed.

She has to fathom your mind to win your hand? How does this fit with you offering her your heart?

Sign me,

Old Fashioned Romantic
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:50 pm
ehBeth .... that was a great and well thought out post! I totally agree with you.

It's very sweet that walt wants to do something different and unique to make this moment special.

Go for it walt! Good luck. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:54 pm
Noddy hit it on the nail head. Who's supposed to prove what to get you to propose? I'm with Noddy on this one; playing games to win a proposal just doesn't fit my sense of romance.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Noddy hit it on the nail head. Who's supposed to prove what to get you to propose? I'm with Noddy on this one; playing games to win a proposal just doesn't fit my sense of romance.

And there's nothing wrong with your way of looking at it ......but only as far as "yourself."

I don't see walt as trying to prove anything to win this young ladies hand. He already has that. He simply wants to do something that will make it special to them ... something that is not the norm. I think it's very sweet.

I don't think it has anything to do with "playing games" for the wrong reason.

It's just one young heart ..... trying to touch another young heart ....in a way different than Mom and Pop did.

Different strokes for different folks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
jbb, I understand fully what you're saying. As a matter of fact, I was going to write a post script to say "it's only my personal opinion."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:19 pm
I see it as a kind of theater, if a personal theater. People of different generations will not necessarily divide re age on the issue - though it may seem so here, the breakdown isn't quite by age, and the data isn't very large - but in their interest in theater, or play, or whatever term, being part of the question of their lives.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
jbb, I understand fully what you're saying. As a matter of fact, I was going to write a post script to say "it's only my personal opinion."

ci ..... I was pretty sure that was all you were saying. I have read your posts around the forum and you give good advice and I respect you for that. Smile
0 Replies