The Insearch of "Job Utopia" Support Thread

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
Maybe I'll just do that, Green Witch! I'm so excited! Really looking forward to this!

Boy, littlek finally hears from Cute Guy, I finally hear from Good Company....this must be "The Day That Things...Happened!!"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:19 pm
Every so often a solar wind twists a cosmic log jam and worlds change.

May this be so for you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:50 pm
Yay Stray Cat!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
Thanks guys!! (smiling from ear to ear) I'm so happy!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:14 am
Bookmarking for now. I'm not actively looking for a job yet. I actually love my work. But I am anticipating a move if I don't get what I want (and what's long overdue) come review time.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:21 am
My interview will be Tuesday at 10:00. Can't wait!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Stray Cat--

Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:38 pm
Thanks, Noddy! This gives me a little time to collect my thoughts, think about what I'm going to say. I don't want to get "over-rehearsed" -- just have a chance to reflect.

I'm really going to put my best foot (paw) forward!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:44 pm
Okay, I didn't actually read this thread yet, I'm just bookmarking...although I see that something good happened in Stray Cat world...I don't have time to read about it right now, but let me just say, go get 'em, tiger!

I do have a couple questions...WTF is a consultant? Isn't that just a glorified term for a freelance worker?

Also, one of the biggest blocks to me actually trying to start my own business is that I have no idea what, legally, has to be done...don't you have to register somewhere with the city? And how do you market yourself without spending a goddammed fortune?

Thanks GreenWitch, for starting this thread.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
Stray Cat ~~ Great news! I'll keep my fingers crossed too.

Kicky ~~ There are a number of different avenues for going into business. They include IRS categories such as Sole Proprietor, Limited Partnership, and Incorporation (which has subcategories). Each offers different levels of protection and obligation.

You would most likely be a Sole Proprietor because you don't need the levels of protection from being sued that a corportation gives you and therefore you don't need the hassles. The process is fairly simple. You register with the IRS, State of NY, NYC. You can download the forms or set up a meeting with an accountant.

I'm a consultant. I also do freelance work where I go to a business site and do the work they need to get done on their turf and their terms. As a consultant I am given the expected outcome and it is my job to give input, and in some cases I have total control, over how best to get to the end product. I usually do that in my own office setting, sometimes going to their site for meetings. I have one long-term client that I haven't seen in years. I am given a project, I turn over the results. How I get there is up to me. Because of the nature of my work, I set up a corporation. It wasn't difficult and I've been doing it for 12 years.

Here's a site with good info on setting up a business. There are links that specifically deal with Sole Proprietorships.

http://www.zeromillion.com/business/starting/going-into-business.html
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
Breakaleg, Stray Cat! Let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:18 pm
Stray Cat- How did your interview go?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:02 pm
Hi, Green Witch!! It went very well!! I met with their HR lady. I think she really liked me (you can always tell!).

But now? I have to go back for a second interview to meet the guy who would be my boss. That will take place probably early next week.

Ugh! I know! The waiting is killing me! I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:46 pm
Good luck, dear Stray....

working out how to cross fingers and keep typing...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
Thanks, everybody for the kind words. There have been some exciting things happening today.

I went to the interview, met with the guy who would be my boss. He agreed to meet with me before work too, which was great. It went very well. I really think he liked me. I had no trouble at all speaking with him about the position, my qualifications, etc. I think we "clicked." He told me it was pretty much down to two candidates -- me and another person. Said they'd be making a decision by the end of the week.

Now -- here's the mind blowing part.

When I came home from work today, there was a message on my answering machine from another place that wants to interview me.

I've been sending out a few resumes lately, and of course, there are some times when an ad appears in the paper and your not really sure who the company or organization is. But it sounds like a good job opp. so you send in your resume.

Anywaaaay, it turns out that I got a message from the offices of a very well known, major league, professional baseball team. I applied for a position as an outfielder.....(ok, just kiddin!).

Seriously, when I sent my resume to them -- I didn't realize that's who it was --- oh, I'm not making any sense here coz' I'm so excited!!

I really had to get up my nerve before I could call them back -- I was sure they must have me mistaken for somebody else.

But they didn't!!!! They really want to interview me!!!!! I almost had a heart attack!!

My interview will take place on Tuesday of next week. That's really all I can say for now, because 1) they don't really want everyone to know about this opening, so they don't get a babillion resumes 2) this job would involve handling confidential information and 3) I don't really want everyone to know about this opening either.

But, I'm so excited!!! I had to tell you guys!!

I have to go lie down now....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:50 pm
Great going, Stray Cat! When it rains it pours.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:53 pm
Stray Cat--

Obviously your star is rising. Congratulations.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:03 pm
I was thinking the very same thing, Free Duck...when it rains, it pours!! I still can't believe it...I think I must be dreaming!!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 05:28 pm
Just an update. The Good Company is still very much on the table.

But tomorrow is my interview with the people at the major league baseball team. I want to see how that goes before I make any final decisions, or say anything more.

There's part of me that is still thinking they must've made some mistake -- or that I will come off looking like George Constanza. But I think I'll be o.k. I just keep thinking, "I really have nothing to lose." So I think I'll be alright.

Fortunately, things are slow at our office right now, so it's o.k. if I take the time to go on this interview. And -- my boss is out of town for six weeks!! He's on a safari in Africa, believe it or not! Good place for him to be right about now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 06:12 pm
Good luck!
0 Replies