The Insearch of "Job Utopia" Support Thread

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
A very common theme around here seems to be "I hate, loath, dread etc. my job". It's time to stop whining and take action.

I used to walk to a job I hated so much that I envied the bag ladies in the local park. They looked so free sitting on the benches surrounded by all their worldly goods and I thought - that's better than going to my sucky job. Maybe I could be a bag lady. Then it hit me - I'm making a choice to stay in this job I hate. I don't live in North Korea, I have choices. From that day on, every day I did something to get out of my job. I saved money, I wrote letters, I read all the help wanted ads (pre-internet days) , I sent resumes, I networked and I signed up for skills classes and even did a little weekend internship. It took me three years and a big move, but I did it. OK job Utopia does not really exist, but I truly believe it is possible for anyone to at least make changes in their career life so it will be more rewarding.

I want all you "I hate my job and I'm not going to take it anymore" people to use this thread to network with each other about what you do each day to escape from your personal paycheck hell. Maybe a few ideas shared will be the key to unlock someone from their job prision.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,172 • Replies: 54
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:59 pm
Cool idea.

About a month and a half ago I decided it was high time I got a job already and I lit into it. Each little step led to something else. First, I wanted a job that required me to submit articles for possible online publication -- they selected two out of three to publish, but I didn't get the job. Then, a guy advertised for an occasional editor and wanted an example of published work -- I sent him the url for my published article and I got the job. Then, I adjusted my resume to put "editor" at the top of it, and applied for a more steady editing position -- and got the job.

Again, these steps happened over a long period where I was slogging non-stop (sending up to a dozen applications a day, pretty much every day), and I hope the steps/ trend will continue. This editing job is steady but the pay is mediocre and the level of editing they want is less than the level of editing I tend to want to do. (I want to change around awkward sentences and get rid of cliches, they want me to catch typos and outright errors.)

Still, of all possible options for my parameters -- home-based, flexible, relatively mindless, doesn't require hearing -- this work situation rocks.

Every job I've had has come out of this kind of progression. I volunteered for a prospective charter school which had a board member who was considering leaving her job and was checking me out without my knowledge and who then offered me the job which I took and did for almost a year before moving to L.A. and looking for a job and finding a position with the same job title as the one I had and applying and starting down the road to creating and directing my own agency...

(Just 'cause I'm an editor doesn't mean my OWN writing can't be crappy...)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 09:10 pm
From one editor to another, soz...

This is recreational writing. Sloppiness is allowed here. Actually, it's preferred. Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:33 am
I think just the act of trying to get new work makes you better at it. The "no's" are actually educational and give you a chance to make a better impression or come-back the next time. If you get rejected just think of it as a practice session for the real offer.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 05:20 am
I have looked for jobs recently on the net but they are all naff, I looked in the local paper for jobs, i thought about getting an evening paper round to earn extra money and get excercise and Ive looked into packaging for a hooby/money making/job idea.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:23 am
Can any of you editors hook me up with a job when I get my worthless MFA in creative writing this year?

please please please Crying or Very sad

I'm going to be homeless. I'll be dating that bag lady.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
I'm getting ready to send out a few resumes, looking to better my job situation.

I noticed there's a opening with a particular company in my area, a very good company. The thing is, I'm not totally qualified as far as what they're looking for. In some ways, yes, in some ways, no.

But I thought I'd just send them my resume anyway -- maybe just ask them to keep me in mind any case anything more suitable opens up there.

What do you think? What can I say without sounding like a total id-yot?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
Send it Stray-Cat. At worst they will put you "on-file". Many personnel departments now scan in your information for future reference. In six months from now they might type in the qualifications for a new position that will be a match for you.

In the meantime - stress the parts you do qualify for and be vague on the rest. Mention why you are interested in the job and why you think you would be a good candidate. It's rare for a company to find a perfect match for a job, so you might at least get an interview.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:54 pm
I'm going to do it, Green Witch!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I'm going to google some information about them, so I don't sound totally stupid when I write my letter! I'm inspired now! (running off to write letter)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
Go for it!

It depends on a lot of things, but I definitely hired people who didn't have all of the qualifications but were eminently trainable.

And certainly no reason NOT to apply.

Gargamel, MFA, wow. Is there any other degree that's as fun to get and as useless to have? (I just posted something on Craigslist -- a reviewing thing where you get a bonus if you invite other people who in turn start reviewing, minor bucks -- and I got a zillion responses from starving writers, including an MFA, Iowa Writing Workshop alumnus, etc. Sad. Cool people, though.)

I'd seriously gladly hook you up if I had anything to hook you up with. Maybe I will by the time you graduate, remind me then.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
I just sent off info to a supplier who could get me started in a hobby/money making idea.

Talking about being 'on file'.Im still on file for work experience at Pinewood studios.The letter was sent off 11 years ago!!Im not holding my breath anymore.

Be positive stray cat and good luck.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:14 am
I think one of the biggest things I learned, is that if you don't have the minimum experience required, apply anyway. What's the worst that could happen, they say no? But if you can get in the door and explain in person why you think you can do the job regardless of the lack of experience, you may just get the exact job you want.

Good luck to all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:16 pm
Would that all the aspiring actresses haunting Performing Arts, waiting to be discovered would find this thread.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 04:14 pm
I did it!! Sent off a letter and resume to them today! Did a pretty good with the letter too -- if I do say so myself!!

I pointed out my strengths, and threw in something about "my willingness to learn." I also said that I'd be interested in talking with them about any opportunities they have now, or might have in the future.

I also applied with another company that's also very good and has an opening for which I'm pretty well qualified.

We'll see what happens! I figure if you shoot enough arrows out there -- one of them's bound to hit the target, right?

Material Girl, Pinewood Studios sounds like an interesting to place to work. Maybe you could send them an updated resume, telling them about the knowledge and skills you've acquired over the past few years. You know, just give them a little nudge, at least a reminder that you're still out there, and you'd still love to have a chance to work with them. Can't hurt! And after eleven years -- it's not like you're nagging them!

Good luck with the hobby/money making idea!

In fact, good luck to everybody here!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:50 am
Just got off the phone with a friend who told me she finally got hired by the real estate company she has been hounding for the last year. They are an upscale urban company and have a policy of only only hiring long term professionals (she has been selling residential for 3 years, they want at least five years experience commercial and residential).

She attached her resume with sales history to a big box of very excellent Italian pastry and had it delivered to the hiring manager at about 3 in the afternoon early last week. It got his attention and he called her in for an interview. All went well and she starts in two weeks. I know this sounds like bribery, and it probably is, but it did work in this case. All's fair in love and job hunting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:56 am
Clever!

That also showed exactly the kinds of things they're looking for, though, presumably -- persistence, creativity, etc. It's a sales job, and she was proving that she's a good saleswoman.

Heard anything yet, Stray Cat? Good luck!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:33 pm
Funny you should ask that, Sozobe!!

Guess what, everybody!! (dancing on kitty feet) Guess what!!

Today, when I came home there was a message on my answering machine. It was from that really good company I was telling you about -- the one with the great benefits and everything -- that I was hesitant to apply to -- and ........ they want to interview me!!! Wheeeeee!

They were closed by the time I got home -- so I'll have to call them tomorrow -- but I'm sooo excited!! Even if I don't get the job, who knows? They may have something for me down the road....

Thank you all so much for the encouragement you gave me!! I can't wait for the interview. (rushing off to look in closet for "professional" outfit to wear)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:44 pm
Stray Cat--

Congratulations. Show 'em your growl, show 'em your purr and keep your claws retracted--unless they invite you to hunt.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
I will, Noddy, I will!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:30 pm
Stray Cat wrote:

Thank you all so much for the encouragement you gave me!! I can't wait for the interview. (rushing off to look in closet for "professional" outfit to wear)

The heck with the closet - go out a buy a new outfit you love, feel confident in and makes you look great. Just don't do what I did once and leave the tags on.
0 Replies