So blow, you old blue northern, blow my love to me
He's ridin' in tonight from California
He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon
Someday soon, goin' with him
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:01 pm
Ooh, Leonard Cohen and Don Henley. Viz, pass the hankie.

Then there's more RB:

A Mid-February Sky Dance

Dance toward me, please, as
if you were a star
with light-years piled
on top of your hair,
smiling,

and I will dance toward you
as if I were darkness
with bats piled like a hat
on top of my head.
==============================
The Harbor

Torn apart by the storms of love
and put back together by the calms
of love,

I lie here in a harbor
that does not know
where your body ends
and my body begins.

Fish swim between our ribs
and sea gulls cry like mirrors
to our blood.

Two more of his that I can't reprint here are: I've Never Had it Done so Gently Before and the funny and touching, The Beautiful Poem.

Is there a full moon? I just got an email from my son in Boston who has been painting for the past few days with no sleep to prepare for an exhibit. The sleep-deprived sound of his email sounded so much like Richard Brautigan that it was a little scary, as I had been reading Brautigan when it came.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:12 pm
Very nice, Dys and Diane......and how our children surprise us sometimes.

I'm flying home to New York today. I'll be absent this evening and a bit busy for the next few days. Carry on. I'll check in when I can.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:59 pm
Brand New Tennessee Waltz
Oh you have such a pretty face
You favor a girl I once knew
I imagine that she's in Tennessee
Oh Lord I should be there too.
But I left Tennessee in a hurry dear
The same way that I'm leaving you
For love is mainly just memories
And everyone's got them but few.

It's a brand new Tennessee waltz
You're literally just waltzing on air
It's a brand new Tennessee waltz
With no telling who will be there

When I leave it'll be like I found you love
Descending victorian stairs
I'm feeling like one of your photographs
With not even you left to care.

Have all your passionate violins play
A tune for a Tennessee kid
Who's feeling like leaving another town
With no place to go if he did.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:09 pm
I'LL AFFECT YOU SLOWLY
I'll affect you slowly as if you were having a picnic in a dream. There will be no ants. It won't rain.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:12 pm
DIANE!!! you are reading Brautigan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What have i created????? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:59 pm
Dys, I'm addicted! I can't believe I missed him in the 60's (although I missed quite a lot in the 60's). I've been busy on Amazon, Powells and Half.com buying up books by Brautigan. His poetry, especially, pierces my heart--if it doesn't leave me laughing and crying.
I wonder what it was like being Marcia? Heaven and hell, I would imagine.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:04 pm
I think i have read about everything he wrote, but if you read Trout Fishing in American and Watermellon Sugar. you have pretty much covered Brautigan.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:20 pm
I'm reading Trout Fishing in America right now. Loving it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 09:56 pm
Dys,

You have created Brautigan addicts. I missed him in the 60s too. Happy to find him now. Watermelon Sugar was so easy to read. Haven't made it to Trout yet, but will. Diane, I had no trouble at all finding all of Brautigan at Amazon in either new or used. They were not expensive at all, ranging from $2.50 to $8.00. They've been piling into my mail box daily.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 09:38 am
(walking into empty cafe'...)

Hellooooooo....? Anybody here?

There you are, Wausau. I'll have a coffee with Bailey's. Have some serious writing to do today....
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:25 pm
Hi Viz,

Oh, I see you're working.......when you get finished come on over to the Salon, I'm expecting some barbarians with tool belts for dinner. We need to work on our bait. Giggle
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:31 pm
The mention of tool belts makes Diane suddenly appear with a big smile on her face, a look of anticipation in her eyes.
Lola, we need to make sure the tool belts are filled and heavy to have the proper effect--you know what I mean, hee, hee.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 08:18 pm
I do know what you mean, Diane. Hurry on over to the Salon. There's some filler over there. :-)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:39 pm
Two days later, danon sat sipping his special coffee. Alone, except for his thoughts.

He was thinking about the fun he and Patti had with their guests from San Francisco when they all visited New Orleans via Vicksburg, MS. Quite a good time enjoyed by all.

Wonder where everyone is? thought danon as he savored the blend of Sumatra and Columbia especially prepared for him in his own select way. Oh yes, he was thinking to himself, life is good.

Ahhhhhh..............................
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:40 pm
Hey, Danon, have you been sitting here since Thursday all alone? You poor dear. Wassau, why didn't you call me?

So New Orleans was fun huh? I'm going to Albuquerque in two weeks to the Southwestern A2K gathering. I'm really looking forward to it. Meeting all my southwestern friends.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:43 pm
Well hello there Lola. <<Best takeoff from 'Hannibal'>>
Its so nice to see you again. Albuquerque --- that's such a good place to have dinner.

Really, I'd love to go - having been so many times in the past since my first visit in '63 with a college buddy who lived there. We attended his funeral two years ago - and I haven't been back since. I wonder why.

<<Would like to - I actually love the area, but, we have only days ago returned from N.O. and are now planning our next trip to Vienna --- Austria. You should plan to meet us there - I'll be happy to introduce you to our friends. We have so much fun together - traveling around the immediate vicinity - you know, Europe. It's all so close, and there is always soooo much to see and do.>>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:52 pm
Oh danon, do you know Ul from abuzz? She and her husband live in Vienna. They are such great people and would enjoy hearing from you. They come to the US for vacation around this time every year, although I'm not sure of the exact time.
If you are interested, I'll give you Ul's email address. Both she and her husband are as lovely as anyone I've ever met.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:28 pm
Diane,
What a pleasant surprise. Yes I have met ulschmid (ul) on Abuzz. We are both clicking for Rainforest with all the rest of the Wildclickers. And - are gaining on the rest of the field. My estimate presently is that we - the AKTEAM!! - will overtake our nearest competition for THIRD place team in the world on or about the 23d of this month. Then - only a very short time thereafter we will be the number TWO team. After that I figure it'll take us about a year at the current rate of gain to overtake the cirvin team for the NUMBER ONE spot in the world. What we need are more clickers. The more the merrier.

You know, of course, the object of the game is to save as much rainforest as possible. The teams have saved thousands of acres to date, but it's really difficult to get ahead of the 'bad' guys. We need more help.

A little over ten years ago, researchers found a substance in the Malaysian Rainforest that was 100% effective against HIV virus. When they realized what they had - they went back to the rainforest to discover the tree from which the substance came had been destroyed. They have been unable to find another to date. Now that's a low down dirty shame.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 07:24 pm
How does one click, Danon?

And you and Patti should come to Albuquerque. It's just for the long week end. We're going to have lots of fun...............

And, uh, Hannibal, how did you know I'd fallen in love with you?
(You know, Danon, in the book Starling runs away with Hannibal and they live happily ever after. That's my kind of ending. giggle)
0 Replies