The Nature of Patriotism

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 12:26 pm
Your welcome, friend.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 01:12 pm
Appreciating the momentary distraction, Slappy! LOL, got it bookmarked already.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:21 pm
Hmm - is the same not then true of arguing anywhere?

Still, we must find distractions in our journey from womb to grave...or urn...
0 Replies

Buzzcook

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:28 pm
Thanks for clearing that up Craven. I hope he remains safe and with a lucky SNAFU may he be shipped to Tahiti.

Buzzcook
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:51 pm
That would not be atypical in the least, Buzzcook.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:53 pm
Slappy - that's beautiful!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:03 pm
Lusatian -- I believe patriotism involves trying to do what you believe is best for your country. That includes disagreeing with the majority of your countrymen if necessary. It includes taking seriously one's obligation to follow what one believes to be a moral course even if it means not supporting America's actions, and recognizing the possibility that our elected leaders are endangering this country and the rest of the world. Patriotism is not limited to -- and sometimes does not even include -- supporting one's country in time of war.

"Some, Tartan in particular, have gone beyond making their opposition to national policy known and have expressed the hope that the Iraqi operation will be a failure. She has also come close to advocating insurrection against our legitimate government during time of war."...Asherman

Asherman -- I stumbled on this thread and noted your characterizations of my beliefs. What really caught my eye here is your preoccupation with quotes from "Tartan." I haven't advocated insurrection and you know it. I'm far from being alone in believing that the administration has gone way too far and have recently signed an impeachment petition for that reason. This administration is endangering our country and, to no less a degree, the world. I hope it fails in that mission, fails politically and soon, and is forced to step back (or preferably down!) before putting more lives and freedoms in danger. If it manages to maintain power and the confidence of many Americans, the protests will continue. Civil protest -- word or deed -- is perfectly reasonable, well-precedented, and democratic, as you know. More often than not it is an active and risky form of patriotism. I think you also experienced the Vietnam era when draft cards and flags were burned and the government excoriated during another war many believe to have been futile and illegitimate, and protesters were actually killed by military.

If you find me spouting a factual error, I hope you'll let me know. Yell back at me if you must -- that's your right -- but don't try to make my words mean something they don't. I hope you will try to respect those who are protesting this war, remembering that they are carrying on the American tradition of speaking truth to power.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
(Tartarin, who is your avatar?)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:48 pm
Re: The Nature of Patriotism
Lusatian wrote:
If you are an American you must support this war. Because the Constitution didn't say be a patriot when you agree. Our system is designed to flip-flop between what we approve and what we do not. But if Americans are fighting anywhere underneath the Stars and Stripes failure to support them is almost treacherous. If we disagree with the policies of our leaders vote them out come November 2004.

hmm, lusatian. Looking at the Constitution, not finding anything in the way you suggested. Quite contrary, I see a lot of stress being put on the freedom of opinion and expression. America is famous for giving precedense to this right before other rights also legally, compared to most countries in the world. And again, sigh. Citizenship does not equal voting. Even people in dictatorships vote. If that was the case, you would not be able to call this country a democracy at all. You have not been replying to these posts, so I assume you may have been called to your duty, if that's the case, best of luck and come back safe. Otherwise you would have replied, right?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
William Lloyd Garrison, Dlowan, author of that quote, writer and publisher but above all abolitionist: he suffered considerable protest and even threats against his life for leading the movement to abolish slavery in the US (and was considered a nut!)...

We wouldn't have a democracy, Lusatian, if we hadn't had "forefathers" who fought all the way along to create this republic, defend it, AND challenge it when it was wrong. We are noted for wars which have not been fully supported in this country, and often the protesting side turned out to have been right. We have had disastrous wars based on the lies of presidents (Spanish-American, Vietnam). The Constitution guarantees us a process that protects us from tyrants and liars, as well as from violence change a legitimately elected government (impeachment, election) but does not protect the citizen OR the government from disagreement or protest. There hasn't been a single military action in my lifetime (including WWII) behind which all Americans united. As long as we are a democracy, there won't be.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 08:43 pm
It's a good quote Tartarin
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 08:45 pm
(Thank you Tartarin! May we gather many such nuts...)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:05 pm
Quote:
Nope, just those who say they want it to end badly for the United States and its allies. That sentiment is the hope that the worst predictions be realized.
Asherman

I am unsure to what service you are putting sentences such as the above. It is certainly not to the service of careful discourse. You really ought to get clear on the notion of 'straw man', because you continually make this move. It's not helping you think clearly and it's not making your posts - trust me on this - compelling.

Please find any one any where here who has said 'end badly for the US and its allies'. You might respond, "I've rephrased the logical construction of the person's claim". No. You've reworded what was said so that you can have an easier thing to attack - that's a straw man.

Your second sentence..." That sentiment is the hope that the worst predictions be realized"... is an exaggeration, and clearly not the intent of any speaker here, even if you use that 'is' in there. Again, you set up an easy target by changing what was said and intended so you don't have to wrestle with what was said and intended. Another straw man.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:44 am
gezzy wrote:
New Haven
By the way. It would be against the law for Canada to have backed this war. As far as Australia goes, the majority of the Australian people are not happy with their governments part in this war.

Do I hear any other American, British, or Australians out there who would not come to visit Canada due to our choice on this war?

Canada's non-participation is more likely to make me want to travel there. And I'd feel safer.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:49 am
Wilso
And I will be here to personally welcome you ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:38 am
Hmmm - interesting phenomenon - since war began, proportion of Australians polled who support it gone from 18% to 45% - result of attempt to resolve cognitive dissonance, or some sort of support our troops right or wrong thing?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:41 am
That always happens, Dlowan. Ovinitis.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:41 am
We might want to also discuss The Pitfalls of Patriotism.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:57 am
dlowan

Similar poll result in the US. And I've been set to pondering this too.

I'd think there is something to your cognitive dissonance notion, particularly if construed in a social sense, rather than merely internally. I think we (generally, as a social species) have a tendency to fall towards unanimity. Let's call it the 'sheep factor'. In times of stress, I think such a factor likely to be more compelling.

But also, I'd posit that the military and information people have now become very adept indeed at 'product presentation'. Modern marketing technology is considerably more advanced than mere guesswork, and these boys are using it.

Note how they have facilitated controlled information feeds - spiffy jets, cameras in the nose cones of missles, brave blue eyed soldiers showing photos of their lovely children, constant briefings from grandfatherly generals, etc. They learned from Viet Nam that if they don't fill the news vaccum, then writers and cameramen with independent agendas will. Thus the massive proportion of media content is 'good news'. We won't see the burned children - in fact, that will be labelled as giving comfort to the enemy if it even gets past the corporate concern for advertising dollars.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:39 am
Bingo, Blatham.
0 Replies