The Nature of Patriotism

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:38 am
New Haven
I'm not worried about that in the least. Many people who moved to the states are coming back to Canada to live and I know plenty of others who would love to live here along with many who come as tourists. You're the first person to say this and I don't think I'll hear anymore about it.

Ash
Yeah, but you talk as if everyone who is against this war is for Saddam. That's what gets to me!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:40 am
Oh NH.... That's just plain silly.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:45 am
New Haven
By the way. It would be against the law for Canada to have backed this war. As far as Australia goes, the majority of the Australian people are not happy with their governments part in this war.

Do I hear any other American, British, or Australians out there who would not come to visit Canada due to our choice on this war?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 09:59 am
Abolutely not. (Er... that means I WOULD come to visit Canada.) My opinion of Canada is only raised.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:03 am
Thank you so much Sozobe ;-) I've never met anyone who didn't love it here. Come on up and I assure you that you will be treated like gold :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:05 am
Oh I've been, often. My great aunt and uncle ran a... resort? not the right word for it, just a bunch of little cabins by a lake... up there and I'd go every summer when I was a kid.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:09 am
Beautiful place isn't it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
Yup! Gorgeous cold spring-fed lake -- crystal clear -- but ya couldn't touch the bottom because leeches would immediately glom on. Shocked

Anyway, will let the thread go back to those who argue that we shouldn't argue. Or whatever. (I'd prefer to think about cold spring-fed lakes, all things considered...)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:44 am
My opinion of Canada is not lowered.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:55 am
Gezzy,

Quote:
Ash
Yeah, but you talk as if everyone who is against this war is for Saddam.

Not true. Most often I've been in absolute agreement that those who disagree with national policy have a positive duty to make those views known. Some, Tartan in particular, have gone beyond making their opposition to national policy known and have expressed the hope that the Iraqi operation will be a failure. She has also come close to advocating insurrection against our legitimate government during time of war. That is not acceptable, and can not go unanswered.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:08 am
Ash
I correct myself if I misunderstood and I apologize. I don't agree with your views on this issue, but I'm an agree to disagree kind of gal.

Roger
Thank you dear ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:16 am
A.) Take that up with Tartarin. I think her comments, in context, were interesting, while I don't completely agree. This is what worries me (among other things):

Quote:

Paul Krugman, from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/18/opinion/18KRUG.html

That is, I believe, the crux of what Tartarin is saying -- if we do win this war decisively, what next? Mightn't it be better if this train is stopped?

Again, take it up with her, though. That's just my take on it.

B.) I think we all agree that there are situations in which a legitimately elected goverment does illegitimate things. It's important for there to be an ongoing debate, and as much as transparency as possible, as to whether legitimate actions are shading into illegitimacy. I think it is very, very dangerous to sit back and say "Well, they were elected, so they have a carte blance. I'll just wait 'til the next election." I know you are not suggesting as much. Right?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:25 am
I agree with Sozobe. When I read your comments Ash, I thought you were directing them at all of us who are against this war.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:35 am
Buzzcook wrote:

By the way, how do we know that Lusatin is in the military? It is not evident from his post and his profile is blank.

Some people know him from a previous site. He's my brother.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:36 am
Nope, just those who say they want it to end badly for the United States and its allies. That sentiment is the hope that the worst predictions be realized. The most expreme of the those predictions have been nuclear and ecological disaster on the order of the end of the world. More commonly those who have voiced opposition claim that millions of innocent civilians will die, that allied casualties will be in the hundreds of thousands, and that a wave of terrorism will engulf the world. To wish for those results is far more heartless than anything ever said by those who support our military in this endeavor. American and British troops have a well-earned reputation for professionalism and their exteme care in keeping ALL casualties to the minimum, and to suggest otherwise is unfair to our children who have volunteered to defend the nation. God bless the Allied forces, may they win this war quickly and with the minimum number of casualties and destruction.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:41 am
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:42 am
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/463c5922
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:50 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have suddenly gained wisdom and perspective, Slappy-san.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
Ason.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 12:08 pm
Thank you, Slappy.
0 Replies