Giving up or in between.

Idoxide

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 11:49 pm
Life has been a little bit more hectic than it should have been. I recently moved away from my hometown to start a new life with my now-ex boyfriend, he gave me an idea of a life I wanted to live and helped me find a clear path to start my career.

Lately I have been struggling to maintain a status as a full-time student and a part-time worker, it has been causing a lot of additional stress due to the fact that I have been behind on my school assignments because of work. I am on the verge of being kicked out from the place I rented with my now-ex because he wants to move back in after leaving me for dead in a city I have never once stepped foot in, after we broke up. I have been trying to cope with this lifestyle for awhile and it keeps putting me back in a position I started at.

What should I do? What can I do to change this lifestyle? Please help.

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 06:25 am
@Idoxide,
Find a roommate and other ways to cut expenses so you can cut back on your hours at work. This also gets your ex off your back.

"Gee, Dave, I would love to help you, but Susan now lives here and I can't just kick her out, you know. "

Practice saying that with the right names, a thousand times if you have to.

As for a place to find a roommate, try your school. There's often someone who wants to get out of a bad living situation and it's some odd time of the year. If that doesn't work, then ask the local market and home repair places if you can put up a flyer to advertise for a roommate.

I don't recommend asking at work but it can be a last resort if you need it. But try these other places first.

Talk to your professors about developing better and more effective/efficient study habits. There may be ways for you to get the work done without it taking forever, thereby freeing up some of your time. Explain you are working part time to try and make ends meet and you really want to make this work and succeed in school. Many educators will be more than happy to help you, and then they will know your circumstances.

You can do this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2019 07:51 am
@Idoxide,
jespah had a lot of good advice - the roommate idea is great. You could even check at your school as they may have a place to post such information.

Another great one is below:
Quote:
Talk to your professors about developing better and more effective/efficient study habits.

When I was in college, I had one of those demanding classes that causes many students to change their major. My mid term I did horrible so I went to visit the teacher. He saw that on my previous quiz I did really well so he said I obviously understand the material and he did not suggest I drop the major or class so instead (like what many teachers will do) of showing me what I did wrong - he walked me through my study habits.

He taught me how to study and prepare for class. I had never learned to do this. It changed my college career - not to get into the details - I ended up with a 3.7 in the class. So study habits can help - and I was working two part-time jobs to help pay for school.

So I really advise this. Find a teacher who you think would be open to this. It is most likely your most difficult but fair teacher.

And also make your education your priority. I know you probably need the money, but your education is what is going to get you where you want and need to be long term. Focus on that - have your job secondary and do whatever you can to cut those other expenses.

Ignore the ex --- he is an ex for a reason - you have much more important things to accomplish --- and I have confidence you will.
0 Replies