Has the Moon got bigger? Summer Moon Illusion

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
Check out the moon illusion for yourself: it's the lowest-hanging full moon in 18 years!

Quote:
Summer Moon Illusion

The lowest-hanging full moon in 18 years is going to play tricks on you this week.

June 20, 2005: Sometimes you can't believe your eyes. This week is one of those times.

Step outside any evening at sunset and look around. You'll see a giant moon rising in the east. It looks like Earth's moon, round and cratered; the Man in the Moon is in his usual place. But something's wrong. This full moon is strangely inflated. It's huge!

You've just experienced the Moon Illusion.

Sky watchers have known this for thousands of years: moons hanging low in the sky look unnaturally big. Cameras don't see it, but our eyes do. It's a real illusion.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/images/moonillusion/seattlemoon_stephens_strip.jpg
Above: A time-lapse sequence of the moon rising over Seattle. To the camera, the moon appears to be the same size no matter what its location on the sky. Credit and copyright: Shay Stephens

This week's full moon hangs lower in the sky than any full moon since June 1987, so the Moon Illusion is going to be extra strong.

What makes the moon so low? It's summer. Remember, the sun and the full Moon are on opposite sides of the sky. During summer the sun is high, which means the full moon must be low. This week's full moon occurs on June 22nd, barely a day after the summer solstice on June 21st--perfect timing for the Moon Illusion.

When you look at the moon, rays of moonlight converge and form an image about 0.15 mm wide in the back of your eye. High moons and low moons make the same sized spot. So why does your brain think one is bigger than the other? After all these years, scientists still aren't sure why.

A similar illusion was discovered in 1913 by Mario Ponzo, who drew two identical bars across a pair of converging lines, like the railroad tracks pictured right. The upper yellow bar looks wider because it spans a greater apparent distance between the rails. This is the "Ponzo Illusion."

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/images/moonillusion/ponzo.gifThe Ponzo Illusion. Image credit: Dr. Tony Phillips.

Some researchers believe that the Moon Illusion is Ponzo's Illusion, with trees and houses playing the role of Ponzo's converging lines. Foreground objects trick your brain into thinking the moon is bigger than it really is.

But there's a problem. Airline pilots flying at very high altitudes sometimes experience the Moon Illusion without any objects in the foreground. What tricks their eyes?

Maybe it's the shape of the sky. Humans perceive the sky as a flattened dome, with the zenith nearby and the horizon far away. It makes sense: Birds flying overhead are closer than birds on the horizon. When the moon is near the horizon, your brain, trained by watching birds, miscalculates the moon's true distance and size.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/images/moonillusion/flatsky.gif
Above: The "flattened sky" model for the Moon Illusion.

There are other explanations, too. It doesn't matter which is correct, though, if all you want to do is see a big beautiful moon. The best time to look is around moonrise, when the moon is peeking through trees and houses or over mountain ridges, doing its best to trick you. The table below (scroll down) lists moonrise times for selected US cities.

A fun activity: Look at the moon directly and then through a narrow opening of some kind. For example, 'pinch' the moon between your thumb and forefinger or view it through a cardboard tube, which hides the foreground terrain. Can you make the optical illusion vanish?

Stop that! You won't want to miss the Moon Illusion

Source (with additional links)

edited: title edited
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:40 am
Quote:
Editor's note: This story applies to the northern hemisphere, where it is summer this week. If you live in the southern hemisphere, the Moon Illusion will be strong for you in December

Oops :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
Sad to say I havnt noticed any moon illusions but I was tracking the moon from my living room window last night and I was amazed to actually see a face in the moon.He looked very startled, like the ghostbusters ghost!!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:22 am
Perfect solstice.

Last night the moon was a solid platinum disk behind an almost transparent trail of cloud.

Black silhouettes of trees against the deep midnight blue sky.

Fireflies stopped dancing in the low foliage and swirled up to the trees to flirt with the moon's impossible brilliance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:53 am
Cool Beans ! ! !

Thanks Walter, i'll go check it out tonight. Now i must find out when moonrise will be.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:10 pm
I absolutely love when the moon rises like that! Huge, huge, I say in the eastern sky! It's beautiful to behold!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 10:20 pm
A table of Brits had Sky News on last night at dinner. Emma Crosby was interviewing an astronomer explaining this same subject. When I finished and left the moon hadn't risen yet, but halfway through the walk home it came up. I found a bench along the beach path, and just sat and watched the moon for about 30 minutes.

Those were the nicest 30 minutes I've had in awhile.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:36 am
May I say, ever when I read something by you, it's as nice as watching a wonderful moon Laughing

We miss you here, Jim!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 03:32 am
I read in a paper last night that the moon thing was happening loast night.
I had a look out of all windows and I ouldnt see the moon anywhere!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
Walter, our visit to Chaco Canyon brought us closer to the magic of the 18.6 year moon cycle. It isn't difficult to imagine southwestern Indians learning the secrets of the moon because of the lack of pollution, both light and atmospheric. Growing up in Tucson, I was used to an unbelievably bright moon. One of our games at night was trying to leap over our moonshadows.

Here is an account of lunar marking in Chaco.

CULTURAL BACKGROUND
The cultural and technological sophistication of the ancient Pueblo Indians of Chaco is evident in their development of an extensive trade and road network and in their planning and building of elaborate multi-story pueblos (Hayes et al. 1981). Interest in astronomical orientation is found in the reported (Williamson et al. 1975) solar and cardinal alignment of several pueblos and kivas (the Pueblo ceremonial structures in Chaco Canyon). It is also interesting to note the possibility of cultural contact with the Mesoamerican societies that had studied eclipse cycles (Lounsbury 1978) and developed complex calendric systems.
In the absence of direct knowledge of the customs of the prehistoric Pueblos, we turn to the historic Pueblos for insights into the ceremonial importance given to bringing together the cycles of the sun and moon. Many ethnographic reports of the scheduling of the winter solstice ceremony indicate strong desire to have the date coincide with the full moon (Stevenson 1904; Bunzel 1932; Ellis 1975). McCluskey (1977) reported that the Hopi synchronized the lunar and solar cycles over 2 to 3 years in setting their ceremonial calendar. More recently McCluskey (1981) has suggested that the Hopis' attention to the moon must have brought them close to observing the standstill cycle: "It would have been a short step for them to look for the moon's house, the theoretical lunistice which the moon reaches every 18.6 years.

Spier (1955) reports that common to most of the historic Pueblos is the starting of the new year with the new lunation closest to winter solstice. Frequent planting of prayer flags at full moon, especially at winter solstice, also indicates the moon's significance in the Pueblos' ritual life (Bunzl 1932). The duality theme in Pueblo cosmology links sun and moon as male/female: sun-father and moon-consort or sister (Stevenson 1904). Ortiz (1981) reports the Tewa Pueblo group as seeing the moon as the mask of the sun.

Whatever the season or reason, there is real magic in moonlight.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:11 pm
We were out last night and as we drove by the lake I was startled to see this HUGE moon sitting on top of the trees.

I exclaimed how big and beautful, pointed it out to the kids and continued to keep track of it as we drove.

Thanks for posting this, Walter. I didn't know it was just an illusion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:55 am
Quote:
Has the Moon got bigger (or did you imagine it)?

By Steve Connor and Arifa Akbar
24 June 2005

One of the morenoted optical illusions in the annals of visual deception appeared in the night sky this week when a giant full moon appeared on the horizon.

The giant ball of yellow-white light made the Moon appear to linger for longer, and Earth's satellite seemed larger at that point in its journey across the sky than at any other position.

In fact, the size of the Moon in the sky does not vary and its apparent enlargement on the horizon is purely a trick of the eye. It was first written about by the ancient Chinese and Greeks - although scientists are still arguing over its cause.

The illusion was especially visible on Wednesday night because this month's full moon coincided with the summer solstice, while clear skies gave spectacular views as the moon rose slowly above the horizon.

When the Moon is full, it and the Sun are on opposite sides of the sky. During summer, when the Sun rises high in our sky, the full moons are correspondingly low - allowing them to linger longer over the horizon.

The astronomer Sir Patrick Moore said that there was no doubt that when a full moon was low on the horizon it invariably looked bigger than when it was high up in the sky, but that this was purely an illusion.

"The effect is visible at every full moon but was particularly good this time because the full moon was as low in the sky as it could ever be and appeared to hover above the horizon," Sir Patrick said.

One way of showing that the Moon does not really vary in size is to hold up a small coin to the sky to see how far away it can be held before it blocks out the Moon - it should do it at the same distance no matter where the Moon is positioned.

"It has been known and commented on for many hundreds of years. An explanation was given by the last and greatest astronomer of ancient times, Ptolemy, who said the illusion was due to the fact that we were seeing the Moon across filled space and could compare it with objects such as trees and houses," Sir Patrick said.

The conventional explanation for the illusion today is that it is a combination of two psychological effects.

The first is the Ponzo illusion, named after Mario Ponzo in 1913, who drew two identical bars across converging lines such as railway tracks. Both bars are the same size but the nearer looks smaller because the eye and the brain judge the farther bar to be bigger in proportion to its surroundings. This could explain why we perceive the Moon to be larger when it lies against a background of familiar objects such as trees and buildings.

However, critics of this idea point out that airline pilots flying at high altitudes sometimes experience the Moon illusion even without seeing any recognisable features on the horizon. And, curiously, the illusion disappears for many people when they bend down and watch a full moon through their legs.

The second explanation is that the brain does not see the sky as the "ceiling" of a true hemisphere, but rather as a flattened dome. In other words, objects that are overhead, such as flying birds, are perceived to be nearer than objects on the horizon - which is why we imagine objects on the horizon to be bigger than objects overhead.

But this explanation does not satisfy some scientists either. In a theory similar in some ways to the Ponzo illusion, Professor Don McCready of the University of Wisconsin believes the true explanation rests in the fact that our brains tend to make objects smaller when they appear closer to us based on distance cues. When the Moon is on the horizon, the surrounding buildings and trees give us clues that it is very far away which causes the brain to perceive it to be larger than it would normally appear, Professor McCready said.
Source
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
The past few nights the moon has been gorgeous here. It rose over the horizon as a huge orange glowing ball in the sky. If course last night it was a little more lopsided than the night before and the night before that.

Still beautiful to behold.
0 Replies

fireybird2000

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:12 pm
I had the very great privilege of seeing one of the most wonderful sights of my life, the "Summer Moon" hanging over the Avebury Stone Circle, that is something that I will never see in my lifetime again, and to see it at such place, was magical. It hasnt left me yet and doubt it will ever.
0 Replies