Democrats electoral college strategy for 2020 presidential election.

revelette3

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 04:19 pm
@Real Music,
It going to be hard, but maybe there are those who are canvassing those areas to get a feeling of the issues which are most important to them and then try to message the democrat agenda to answer those issues of concern to them.

Thanks for thread, it is extremely important after the primaries.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:13 pm
@Real Music,
Nice to see you've abandoned your Quixotic assault against the Electoral College. Play by the rules and you might win, although Dems have a hard time confining their lust for power within any rules.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:15 pm
@jespah,
Not a bad idea but "drop-outs" have a tendency to not want to work hard for the rivals who blasted them on the debate stages
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 06:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Nice to see you've abandoned your Quixotic assault against the Electoral College.
1. Can you please elaborate?

2. I don't recall ever posting anything that was an assault against the electoral college.

3. I don't recall posting either support or opposition to the electoral college.

Quote:
Play by the rules and you might win, although Dems have a hard time confining their lust for power within any rules.
1. Can you please elaborate?

2. I have no idea of what posting you are referring to.

3. Are you sure that I am the person that your post is suppose to addressed to?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 07:16 pm
@Real Music,
I wrongly assumed you were a participant in this thread. https://able2know.org/topic/125928-1

I stand corrected and apologize for the assumption.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:46 am
Quote:
Former Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will deliver remarks on Sunday at a predominantly black megachurch in East New York, choosing a crucial Democratic constituency — African-American voters — as the audience for his first speech since he re-emerged as a potential 2020 presidential candidate.

Mr. Bloomberg is set to speak at the Christian Cultural Center in the late morning, according to a Bloomberg aide. The content of his remarks was not disclosed, though the aide said the event was not an official presidential campaign announcement.

The speech is the latest in a series of steps that Mr. Bloomberg, the billionaire and former three-term mayor of New York, has taken in the last 10 days to lay the groundwork for entering the Democratic presidential primary, which appears increasingly imminent.

He has already filed to be on the primary ballot in two states, Arkansas and Alabama. His advisers have outlined a strategy that would circumvent the early four states that vote first in the 2020 nomination contest in favor of the broader map on Super Tuesday where he could leverage his personal fortune.

And he announced plans to spend $100 million on digital ads against President Trump in key general election battleground states, blunting criticism that he could spend his money better elsewhere. Those ads would not feature him, advisers said, and the spending would be in addition to what he might spend on his own candidacy.

Mr. Bloomberg’s record on race — and in particular his steady defense of the deeply controversial policing strategy known as “stop-and-frisk” — is widely seen as one of his biggest vulnerabilities if he runs in the Democratic primary, where black voters have helped determine the winner in the last nomination contests, elevating President Barack Obama in 2008 and Hillary Clinton in 2016.

The stop-and-frisk program, forcefully defended by Mr. Bloomberg for years, gave New York police officers sweeping authority that resulted in hundreds of thousands of street stops, which disproportionately targeted black and Latino men. Mr. Bloomberg regularly argued it was necessary to curb crime.

But the program — which a federal judge ruled violated the constitutional rights of minorities in the city — has been almost entirely phased out in the last seven years, beginning in Mr. Bloomberg’s final year and then aggressively by his successor, Mayor Bill de Blasio. Crime rates have mostly continued to drop.

Still, Mr. Bloomberg, 77, has consistently defended the program. “I think people, the voters, want low crime,” Mr. Bloomberg told The New York Times last year. “They don’t want kids to kill each other.”
The pastor of the Christian Cultural Center, the Rev. A. R. Bernard, is a longtime ally and former adviser to Mr. Bloomberg.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/17/us/politics/michael-bloomberg-speech.html

I see his strategy in avoiding the more left wing voting parts of the democrat primary, but I am not sure he is going to be able to get past "Stop and Frisk."

If he don't get a favorable size of the black vote, he is done before he starts because he will need those votes to make up for the loss of the progressive wing of the democrat party.

I think he just wants to get enough to get elected and then concentrate of the electoral college where it seems you got to be more flexible. I think he wants to go after Trump. (just my view right now anyway)
Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:02 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
And he announced plans to spend $100 million on digital ads against President Trump in key general election battleground states, blunting criticism that he could spend his money better elsewhere. Those ads would not feature him, advisers said, and the spending would be in addition to what he might spend on his own candidacy.

1. I prefer that Bloomberg not seek the nomination.

2. I would prefer probably over a dozen of the existing candidates over Bloomberg.

3. I do hope Bloomberg does spend $100 million on digital ads against President Trump in key general election battleground states. That would greatly help the eventual democrat nominee in those battleground states. That would also help down ticket votes for the democrats.

4. So, I definitely hope Bloomberg does spend $100 million to help the democrats in the general election, but I don't want him seeking the nomination.
Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:41 pm
Which side will have the edge in early voting?

Mark Halperin and John Heilemann discuss voter enthusiasm
and the importance of ground game as early voting starts.

Published September 29, 2016

Real Music

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:51 pm
1. In 2020, the democrats ground game better be on overdrive.

2. Especially getting out massive numbers of voters to vote early in the states that have early voting.

3. Especially in the battleground states.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 12:44 am
The battle over early voting, explained.

Published November 4, 2018

Quote:
Part of The 2018 midterm elections, explained

While the 2018 midterm elections officially take place on November 6, plenty of voters will cast their ballots ahead of time thanks to early voting.

Early voting laws are supposed to make it easier for people to get to the polls. But like other attempts to expand voting access, they’ve often become yet another partisan battleground.

Some 37 states, including those that mail ballots to voters, and the District of Columbia now let citizens vote ahead of Election Day. (You’ll find a full list, with early voting dates, at the end of this article.) In 1980, approximately 4 million ballots were cast ahead of the election; in 2016, more than 47 million people voted early.

The case for early voting, its proponents say, is a simple one: By providing citizens with more options to vote — whether by mail or in person ahead of the election — it makes it easier for them to do so. They can avoid long lines on Election Day and pick a time that’s more convenient for them.

After Barack Obama’s campaign gained a commanding lead in early voting in 2008, though, some Republican-dominated state legislatures limited early voting for 2012; efforts to limit early voting are still underway in North Carolina. There have also been other objections, such as that citizens wind up making their choices before they have all the information.

With early voting in multiple states already, you’re likely to hear more about it in the days and weeks to come — what’s happening, what it means, who it’s good for. Early voting can be a misleading indicator of who will actually win the election. But the fight over whether it should be expanded is far more important — part of a broader battle about how easy or difficult it should be to vote in America.

Early voting is becoming increasingly commonplace

Historically, early voting isn’t actually a new phenomenon.

Michael McDonald, an associate professor at the University of Florida and early voting expert, explained in HuffPost in 2017 that when the United States was first founded, voting was held over several days so voters in rural areas would have enough time to go to the polls. The federal government set a single day — the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November — for voting in 1845. But during times of war, military members have been allowed to mail in ballots, and gradually, everyday citizens have also gotten that ability.

McDonald explains:

In 1980, California pioneered the modern resurgence of early voting by lifting the requirement that a voter provide an excuse to vote by mail. Since then, California and other states, mostly in the West, have innovated permanent mail ballot status and all mail ballot elections. Any qualifying voter can request and cast a mail ballot at their local election office. Meanwhile in the East, Florida, Tennessee and Texas extended in-person early voting to special satellite polling locations in 1996.

The federal law setting a uniform day of voting still stands, so why is early voting is legal? In a 2001 challenge to Oregon’s no-excuse absentee voting, a federal court ruled that the election must be “consummated” on Election Day. As long as election officials don’t count votes until Election Day, early voting is legal.

Voters are increasingly taking advantage of the ability to cast their ballots before November: In the 2016 election, about one-third of total votes were cast early. Early voting turnout so far in states such as Texas and Florida this year indicates it could be higher in 2018 than in midterm elections past.

Casting a vote before Election Day can carry some risks. FBI Director James Comey’s decision to reopen the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private server, and his announcement two days before Election Day that nothing new had been found, all happened after the beginning of early voting in some states in 2016. (Comey’s decision, FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver argues, probably cost Clinton the election.)

Eugene Kontorovich, a professor at George Mason’s Antonin Scalia Law School, argued in a piece for Politico in 2014 made the argument with Northwestern University professor John McGinnis that early voting is bad and “threatens the basic nature of citizen choice.” Their case: People who vote early don’t have all the information, and late-breaking news in the election could potentially cause them to change their minds.

He stands by that view: “The practical concern is that people are voting on different sets of information as politics becomes more fast-moving and media becomes more fast-moving,” Kontorovich told me. “Something important comes out late, and people who voted early will not be privy to that information.”

Voting early has become a partisan battle in some states

Obama’s campaign emphasized early voting in 2008, which gave him an edge over John McCain. In several states typically important in presidential elections, including Florida, Obama lost among voters who voted on Election Day but won when early ballots were taken into account.

Right after that election, some Republican-controlled state legislatures tried to roll back early voting and otherwise tighten access to the ballot. Florida, Georgia, Ohio, and Tennessee all limited early voting in 2012 compared to 2008, often arguing that the measures were too expensive. Ohio and Nebraska followed suit before the 2016 election.

“Typically, there will be some sort of version of an argument that [early voting] uses up local resources, that it costs money to keep early voting available, that not a lot of people are using it at a certain time,” said Jonathan Brater, counsel for the democracy program at the Brennan Center for Justice. But in his view, those arguments don’t often add up. “It will reduce the rushing and other things that drain resources on Election Day.”

The real motivation, some argued, was partisan: “Since there’s a perception that a method of voting favors a political party, the party being favored by that method wish to expand that option, and the party that is being disfavored wishes to shrink or diminish those options,” McDonald said.

In other words, he said: “It’s controversial because Democrats tend to vote early. That’s basically the bottom line on this.”

Some states are still trying to limit early voting — and President Trump is warning about fraud

This year, some states are still trying to cut back on early voting. In June, North Carolina’s Republican-controlled legislature passed a law saying early voting sites are to remain open during uniform hours on weekdays, from 7 am to 7 pm.

The North Carolina board of elections said that it results in a 92 percent increase in voting hours, and early voting ballots in the state are already exceeding the 2014 total.

But there has also been an adverse effect: counties have cut early voting locations in order to accommodate for the long hours. NPR estimated it would result in almost 20 percent fewer polling places for early voting compared to 2014.

It’s not the first time North Carolina’s voting laws have raised eyebrows. In 2016, a federal appeals panel struck down 2013 provisions that ruled out most forms of photo ID besides drivers’ licenses, cut out-of-precinct voting, and cut a week off of early voting, determining that they “target African Americans with almost surgical precision.”

The court’s decision noted after North Carolina’s general assembly got data indicating that that black voters “disproportionately used the first seven days” of early voting, they amended a bill to cut the number of early voting days from 17 to 10.

The legislature also passed a bill that will keep early voting sites from opening the Saturday before the election. It will go into effect after the 2018 midterms.

“The last Saturday before the election is pretty important because there’s some research that says that particularly for minority voters, the weekend before Election Day is the most critical early voting period,” Brater said.

President Donald Trump has also sounded somewhat skeptical of early voting. Trump made false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 election and put together a now-disbanded commission to look into it; he tweeted over the weekend that law enforcement and government are watching out for voter fraud during early voting. “Cheat at your own peril,” he wrote.

Fears about voter fraud don’t make a lot of sense in the context of early voting, experts said: Voter fraud is exceedingly rare in the United States, including when it comes to early voting. “It’s not a good justification for voter ID, but it would make even less sense in the context of early voting,” Brater said.

But the trend hasn’t been entirely against early voting. Some states have voted to expand early voting rights, such as Utah, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Oklahoma. “It underscores that not every state is looking at this in a partisan lens,” Brater said. “There is still some bipartisan understanding that some of these voting reforms can be helpful for everyone.”

So far, Republicans are outpacing Democrats in early voting, according to initial data. That could change, since some states have only opened mail-in voting and haven’t started allowing in-person early voting yet. One trend that likely won’t alter, though, is early voting’s continued growth: More people have voted early than in 2016, even though midterm years typically have lower turnout than presidential elections.

Early voting laws are different in every state — and sometimes, like in Wisconsin, determined by city or county. Currently 37 states offer some form of early voting.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/29/18018634/early-voting-2018
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 10:04 am
@Real Music,
You are becoming a real expert at posting old news. Anything on the Hindenburg?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 02:41 pm
@coldjoint,
Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 09:48 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
You are becoming a real expert at posting old news.

1. I thank you for the compliment.

2. Old news can prove to be quite useful regarding things to come.

3. Old news is how lessons are learned.

4. Old news can educate people regarding things that are happening right now.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 09:50 pm
@Real Music,
When anything you post ever accomplishes one of those things please let me know.
Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 09:52 pm
@coldjoint,
You might consider the fact that you are not the intended audience.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 09:58 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
You might consider the fact that you are not the intended audience.

You might consider that too before you post propaganda.
Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 10:01 pm
@coldjoint,
1. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

2. Your opinion is so important to me.

3. Your opinion is the only opinion that matters to me.

4. You are like a God to me.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 10:36 pm
@Real Music,
I guess you feel that is necessary, did I trigger you?
Real Music

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 10:46 pm
@coldjoint,
What are you talking about?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2019 01:37 pm
Democrats needs to remain vigilant
and take notice
:

Vice President Mike Pence visit to Wisconsin launches focus on three battleground states.

Published November 20, 2019

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Vice President Mike Pence will begin a push on Wednesday to bolster President Donald Trump's position in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, three states that Trump won narrowly in 2016 and probably must win again to secure a second term in 2020.

Pence will travel to northeastern Wisconsin on Wednesday to visit shipbuilder Marinette Marine to talk up the trade agreement between the United States, Mexico and Canada that Trump negotiated, but which has yet to receive congressional approval.

But the overarching mission, people close to Pence say, is to wave the Trump campaign flag in Wisconsin, a state Trump won by only 23,000 votes in 2016.

In early December, Pence will make stops in Michigan and Pennsylvania, two other states Trump won narrowly over Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016. These visits will include bus tours, a departure from Trump's traditional campaign style of staging rallies in large arenas.

The Pence visits come as Trump is preoccupied in Washington with an impeachment inquiry in the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives that is dogging his presidency.

Trump has lagged in recent polls in the three industrial states when compared to his leading Democratic rivals, leading some Republican strategists to wonder why Trump and his campaign were not spending more time in them if he wants to recreate the electoral map that carried him to victory in 2016.

"The three states were key to his 2016 victory and he needs two win at least two of them and keep everything else in order to win re-election," said one Republican strategist close to the campaign. "These are battleground states and you need to show up regularly and effectively."

In recent weeks the Trump campaign, riding a surge of money from donors, has sought to expand the electoral map into some states Trump lost in 2016, such as Minnesota, New Mexico and Oregon.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/pence-visit-to-wisconsin-launches-focus-on-three-battleground-states/ar-BBX2PV1?ocid=UE13DHP