A response I wrote to an article on Child Marriage;

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 01:20 pm
This is a reposted article I wrote

A response I wrote to an article on Child Marriage;

I don't understand why anyone would attempt to marry a child, this is unthinkable, children are not capable of Romantic Relationships, they cannot process adult Relationship lifestyles.

They are children and function as children, they are being placed, and forced in adult Relationship situations, and they cannot process nor understand it until they are Adults.

Nothing about a child is capable of handling a Romantic Relationships, Physical Relationships, Mentality handling Adult Relationships, and Lifestyles and financial matters.

A Child cannot understand the Deeper Matters of the Hearts, or
Deep involved Love connections etc.

So, it baffles me to think any man would be interested in a relationship with a child.

Why not choose an Adult Woman who is matured in Mind, Body, and Spirit, intelligence...?

I could NEVER be attracted to s child.

(I have NEVER, NEVER BEEN attracted to a child nor teenager male or female)

Children need to be focused on getting their early childhood education, and growing up around other children and playing with other children.

I cannot fathom why a man would be interested in a Child as a Bride.

A Child could NEVER appreciate Romance, Poems, Dinning, or a Dinner date etc.

Really! marry a child...this makes No sense to me!

(I have NEVER, NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN attracted to a child nor teenager male or female)

Jason Sandifer,
Michigan,
11/10/2018

Jason Sandifer
Oakland/Michigan-(2019)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,288 • Replies: 152

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 01:39 pm
@Advocate2Humanity,
The scary thing is --- that someone would need to even write this.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 01:44 pm
@Advocate2Humanity,
What's up with all of the weird capitalization? What's the point of posting this here (especially since the alleged article in question isn't cited - source or author or any context)? Did you properly respond to the article in question ... where the article was/is published?
0 Replies

Advocate2Humanity

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 02:23 pm
@Linkat,
Yes, I know, I read terrible articles, and heard of documentaries.

I simply DON'T understand this thinking, and I guess I NEVER WILL...

How can anyone understand Marrying a Child

Thank for you reply
chai2

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 06:11 pm
@Advocate2Humanity,
Unrelated to the article or what you wrote.

People are so freaking weird.

You were asked a direct question by another poster, and you don't even acknowledge it.
Wouldn't surprise me if you won't acknowledge mine either,

You don't find it not only rude, but fundamentally oblivious to your environment to not answer or acknowledge someone?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2019 10:08 pm
@Advocate2Humanity,
Child Marriage was an important part of many indigenous cultures. This included Native American cultures, Middle Eastern cultures and Aboriginal Australian Cultures as well as some communities in Judaism.

European ideas about marriage stamped out indigenous ideas about marriage. White people have a sad history of failing to respect the cultural practices of the indigenous people.

It is easy for you to say this as a White American, but realize that this does apply in other cultural contexts.

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
Just because something is cultural does not mean it is right or should exist.

So even if it is cultural to marry a 12 year old when you are 40 - you have sex with the 12 year old - do you realistically think this is a good thing for the 12 year old?

There are cultural customs where a married women has an affair - her brothers due to shame can have her killed - should that exist because it is cultural?

Bull fighting is cultural - do you think it is right to have an animal tortured for entertainment?

There is female mutilation for cultural reasons,

There is killing of en danged animals (certain whales) that is cultural so should we wide out the existence of these animals for the sake of culture.

There is a slew of things that are cultural - some have actually stopped occurring because of these groups realizing the cruelty of the actions or how harmful they are some that still exist. Just because something is cultural does not make it right or should continue.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 08:01 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

There are cultural customs where a married women has an affair - her brothers due to shame can have her killed - should that exist because it is cultural?

Quote:
There is female mutilation for cultural reasons,

It'd be fun to see Max defend these monstrous practices alongside cannibalism, etc... because ... insert some outdated, morally reprehensible libertarian (lack of) morality that excuses all behavior as legitimate in the free market society that is their wildest imagination of a perfect utopia.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 08:45 am
@Linkat,
You are a white American. A part of a culture that has invalidated and destoyed indigenous cultures, declared their ways of life to be barbaric kidnapped their children to indoctrinate them...

Do you really feel comfortable judging the practices of indigenous cultures?

Colonialism has not benefitted indigenous women.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 08:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yes.
Quote:
Colonialism has not benefitted indigenous women.

And neither have legalized rape which many indigenous cultures have institutionalized in the past. Women were seen as property. Or worse. Even worth less than cattle.

And passing on Creutzfeld Jacob disease (CJD) in scientifically ignorant cultures? You must be so proud of these cannibalistic traditions.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:08 am
Not defending child marriage but children are perfectly capable of having romantic interests. I can't remember any age when I was not in love with one girl or another.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/7f/c1/26/7fc126c7812af38cb2d8c0573e748ff6--young-love-so-cute.jpg
Olivier5

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:23 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Women were seen as property. Or worse. Even worth less than cattle.

That's an exaggeration. I've been to some of these places (Afghanistan, Karamoja, Somalia) and can attest that women are ALWAYS worth more than cattle even where they are seen as men's property. There's a reason for that: a cow won't give you a son, no matter how often you shag it.

In Afghanistan, a bride will cost you anywhere from 50 to 500 cattle, i.e. somewhere from $100,000 to $1 million, payable to your future father-in-law. Not cheap by any account.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Not defending child marriage but children are perfectly capable of having romantic interests. I can't remember any age when I was not in love with one girl or another.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/7f/c1/26/7fc126c7812af38cb2d8c0573e748ff6--young-love-so-cute.jpg

Yes romantic interest is a whole different animal than getting married - not even mentioning marrying an adult.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 09:46 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Women were seen as property. Or worse. Even worth less than cattle.

That's an exaggeration. I've been to some of these places (Afghanistan, Karamoja, Somalia) and can attest that women are ALWAYS worth more than cattle even where they are seen as men's property. There's a reason for that: a cow won't give you a son, no matter how often you shag it.

In Afghanistan, a bride will cost you anywhere from 50 to 500 cattle, i.e. somewhere from $100,000 to $1 million, payable to your future father-in-law. Not cheap by any account.

Well that's comforting

Rolling Eyes
Glennn

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 10:52 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Child Marriage was an important part of many indigenous cultures.

If by "important" you mean "necessary," you're wrong. Child marriage is just wrong.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:35 am
@Glennn,
This represents the history of colonialism; White people telling indigenous people that their traditional practices are "just wrong". This ws the justification for Indian schools (where children were taken from the parents to be indoctrinated) and forced conversions.

I find the ideology of the White Savior to be especially troubling; that is White people saving idigenous women from indigenous men.
Glennn

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 11:41 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I find the ideology of the White Savior to be especially troubling; that is White people saving idigenous women from indigenous men.

In this case, it's indigenous girls being saved from indigenous men.

You have already admitted that you believe that child marriage is wrong.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 12:57 pm
@Linkat,
Just cutting down on the hyperbole a bit... Even during the worse times of chattel slavery in the US, a human being was still worth the equivalent of about 50 cows.

Quote:
There was an active market for slaves throughout the antebellum period, meaning that slave owners believed the purchase of a slave would prove to be a profitable expenditure, even though that expenditure required a considerable amount of money3. As we will explain below, at the time the South seceded from the Union, the purchase of a single slave represented as much as $150,000 and more in today's prices. 

https://www.measuringworth.com/slavery.php
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 01:01 pm
@Linkat,
I was reacting to the OP sic:

Quote:
Nothing about a child is capable of handling a Romantic Relationships

I should have quoted it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2019 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Yes.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read your quote. Before I even saw your anwer.

Yet another bit of human weirdness.

Someone states something in such a way that they expect others to have to explain themselves.

The answer is a simple "yes"